"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-27-2016, 12:10 AM   #5201
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
That means it probably does not bode well for those of you who love Jet. With Wal-Mart coughing up that much money, they'll have to recover the cost somehow. Just like when Market Basket came back from their non-strike strike, pricing probably won't be as good as it was before.

Wonder how long it will be before Amazon buys out Wal-Jet, or vice-versa.
Walmart's sales were $472 billion last year. $3.3 billion is a drop in the bucket. They're just picking off a competitor and incorporating their online purchasing and distribution systems.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:30 AM   #5202
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Well they weren't going to do it all at once and right away. Watch for a price creep. Since they had their non-strike strike, I've noticed a price creep at Market Basket. First, they eliminated the extra 4% off your total bill. Then they nickel'd and dime'd their increases in things that I now find for a lower price at other stores. In spite of their name, "Price Chopper" has had some of the highest prices among the stores in my shopping circle. I used to shop them for strictly loss-leaders and fried fish. Now, I can find common things I use cheaper and easier at P-C than I can at Market Basket.

You might not have the same problem with finding things in stock at your store, though. The one I shop (and the only one close enough to make it worth driving to) has been going downhill since they replaced the original manager with a guy who seems to be interested in only biding his time until he retires. THAT won't happen soon enough...
The article that I read in the business section stated that Walmart wants to diversify. Their on-line sales are not as strong as they hoped they would be this past year. So since Jet is strictly for On-line shopping, they are hoping this will increase their on-line profit.

I have never been to a Walmart's. There is one up in Lynn on Route 107. I have friends that swear by them. There has been so much bad press over the years about them. I only shop at MB. Only because shopping really leaves me exhausted. It takes a lot out of me. I have noticed this past year, if I go somewhere, and have an appointment the next year, I just can't keep it. Two days in a row shopping is more than I can handle. And I will only consider shopping in stores with an electric cart.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:41 AM   #5203
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Walmart's sales were $472 billion last year. $3.3 billion is a drop in the bucket. They're just picking off a competitor and incorporating their online purchasing and distribution systems.
$3.3 billion=drop in the bucket. It would be nice to have a drop from that drop, wouldn't it GG? Well, I'm still thankful for all we have.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:01 AM   #5204
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
$3.3 billion=drop in the bucket. It would be nice to have a drop from that drop, wouldn't it GG? Well, I'm still thankful for all we have.
I know, right? Crazy world. I'm thankful we have good health insurance and a terrific pharmacist (we go to an independent pharmacy). I picked up a pack of EpiPens today. With the coupon the pharmacist obtained, we only had to pay $40. It's recommended that beekeepers keep it on hand because after repeated bee stings, people can develop a sensitivity and have a serious reaction. Neither of us has reacted so far, but you never know.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:32 AM   #5205
Master Chef

I hope neither of you ever need to use that EpiPen, GG. It would be the best waste of $40.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:22 AM   #5206
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I hope neither of you ever need to use that EpiPen, GG. It would be the best waste of $40.
Not a waste. It's probably like an umbrella - it seems like you are less likely to need it if you have it.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:30 AM   #5207
Executive Chef

Quote:
That means it probably does not bode well for those of you who love Jet. With Wal-Mart coughing up that much money, they'll have to recover the cost somehow. Just like when Market Basket came back from their non-strike strike, pricing probably won't be as good as it was before.

Wonder how long it will be before Amazon buys out Wal-Jet, or vice-versa.
They'll do what they always do - they'll further exploit their workers.

We have a supermarket chain in the UK called ASDA which was taken over by Wal-mart some years ago. Whilst employment law seems to be tighter over here than in the US, ASDA/Wal-mart still manage to get away with murder.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:32 AM   #5208
Executive Chef

Quote:
My friend's daughter has been saved twice by her Epi-pen. Mind you, she gets it free on the National Health Service.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:39 AM   #5209
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The article that I read in the business section stated that Walmart wants to diversify. Their on-line sales are not as strong as they hoped they would be this past year. So since Jet is strictly for On-line shopping, they are hoping this will increase their on-line profit.

I have never been to a Walmart's. There is one up in Lynn on Route 107. I have friends that swear by them. There has been so much bad press over the years about them. I only shop at MB. Only because shopping really leaves me exhausted. It takes a lot out of me. I have noticed this past year, if I go somewhere, and have an appointment the next year, I just can't keep it. Two days in a row shopping is more than I can handle. And I will only consider shopping in stores with an electric cart.
Addie, can't you order on-line for home delivery? Most supermarkets, including the smaller ones, do it free of charge for orders over a certain value (about £60 is the cut-off for free delivery which sorts me out for a month when I use it). In fact one company delivers free for an order as little as £25 ($40-ish).
Old 08-27-2016, 10:37 PM   #5210
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Addie, can't you order on-line for home delivery? Most supermarkets, including the smaller ones, do it free of charge for orders over a certain value (about £60 is the cut-off for free delivery which sorts me out for a month when I use it). In fact one company delivers free for an order as little as £25 ($40-ish).
Gee, I know several folks here in this building, do order their groceries for delivery. But I notice that it is a higher end store. And I have an EBT card for my groceries. It is like a credit card for food. I don't get cash. As far as I know, you have to pay cash for the groceries and a delivery fee. And of course the driver expects a tip. The grocery store I go to doesn't have delivery. I don't mind having to go shopping for groceries. At least my store has electric carts. That makes it so much easier for me. And I have Spike with me. He gets the second half of the store and does all my shopping in that end. If I had to do my whole list alone, it would take me at least 1.5 hours. I go shopping only once a month. If I need something in the middle of the month, Spike will pick it up for me.