"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2013, 04:51 AM   #5201
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The "City" in which I live does not allow backyard hens. I can have hens because I am zoned AG2 and rural. There was a feature on the news the other night about a couple who had 3 laying hens, they have had them for 3 years. They are also zoned rural, but not AG2 or AG1. By-law showed up and gave them until Friday to get rid of them or By-law would seize them (and dispose of them because the HS does not have accommodations for hens). I contacted the reporter, asked him to pass my contact info on so that I could offer "witness protection" services to these three hens while the folks duke it out in by-law court. I got a call from the folks! The girls may be coming here tomorrow or Friday. Irony is that before amalgamation, backyard chickens were allowed where these folks live in the City. They are so devastated that they have to get rid of their girls. Grrr...I hate politics! I hate people who complain about things that are not infringing on their enjoyment of their property...If I lived in the US, I probably would fit in well in NH.

Move to Vermont. They believe very strongly in personal freedom. Most of Vermont is rural and farm land. There is no Big Box store in VT. They would infringe on the rights of the little businessman. Even Walmart gave up the fight to get a store in. Now if they could just keep out those folks from NYC who want to change everything they don't like about Vermont.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #5202
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
What else could I offer? I think it is WRONG that these girls would be slaughtered. So they can come here while their owners duke it out in by-law court.
I think what you are doing is wonderful!!!
__________________

__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:22 AM   #5203
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I think what you are doing is wonderful!!!
The slaughtering makes no sense to me. Some folks are just plain "Stupid!" Knowing CWS as we do, what else could she do but to take them in. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't start rescuing chickens and finding homes for them like she does her St. Bernards. She has a heart as big as her St. Bernards. I wonder if she has a special guest coop for them.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:54 AM   #5204
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The slaughtering makes no sense to me. Some folks are just plain "Stupid!" Knowing CWS as we do, what else could she do but to take them in. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't start rescuing chickens and finding homes for them like she does her St. Bernards. She has a heart as big as her St. Bernards. I wonder if she has a special guest coop for them.
You pegged me, Addie. I set up a special coop for these girls. Still waiting to see if they arrive. It is up to the owners if they want to entrust them into my care or that of the HS (personally, I think it is a no-brainer). Y'all know that I think everyone should have chickens at least once and municipalities that outlaw backyard chickens are not helping--with 1 out of 5 children going to bed hungry in North America, it makes no sense to restrict a family's means of producing a source of food.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #5205
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,126
I can see banning roosters because they are just obnoxious in a suburban setting, but a few chickens isn't going to hurt anything. I doubt that the neighbors would even notice.

We have a good friend that had chickens in her suburban back yard, that's where she cut teeth so to speak on chicken rearing. Now she has a farm and lots more chickens. I think that this is what she is cut out for. She is raising some, from chicks and has what it takes to "cull" the aggressive nuisance roosters for the freezer... I'm not sure that I'd have the stomach for that. It surprises me because she didn't grow up on a farm. When the previous owners left, they abandoned about 20 chickens. She was able to tame quite a few of them to live in a coop again, and the ones that couldn't be, well, you know!

It's interesting how she can care so much for them, but in the end, know that they are a source of food and not pets.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #5206
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I can see banning roosters because they are just obnoxious in a suburban setting, but a few chickens isn't going to hurt anything. I doubt that the neighbors would even notice.

We have a good friend that had chickens in her suburban back yard, that's where she cut teeth so to speak on chicken rearing. Now she has a farm and lots more chickens. I think that this is what she is cut out for. She is raising some, from chicks and has what it takes to "cull" the aggressive nuisance roosters for the freezer... I'm not sure that I'd have the stomach for that. It surprises me because she didn't grow up on a farm. When the previous owners left, they abandoned about 20 chickens. She was able to tame quite a few of them to live in a coop again, and the ones that couldn't be, well, you know!

It's interesting how she can care so much for them, but in the end, know that they are a source of food and not pets.
Chickens are fairly easy to "tame." They will follow the person who offers them food. They just don't have great memories. I think it is 50 x of one "click" to train a chicken re: clicker training and 6 x to train a dog. I never thought I'd like having birds, but I love my hens. They entertain me.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #5207
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,004
I recently saw a documentary from a vegan, "Vegucated," that exposed several regular old carnivores to the practices of commercial/industrial animal 'farmers.' I have cut back on my meat-buying and meat-eating habits for a year or so now, and was aware for the most part of what happens down on the big farms now. I wasn't prepared to see the little chicks come tumbling down the sorter, potential laying hens down this chute, little roosters-to-be down that one. Don't need all those males. I presume they turn the unwanted fowl into pet food. I've bought a lot of dog and cat food over the years and check for protein content in them -- chicken meal figures greatly in the contents.

I guess I just don't want to think about the reality of where the incredible amount of pet-food protein comes from. So many cans of wet food - I'm afraid to do the math.

And baby cows. And lambs. And little pigs whence come the baby back ribs and later the bacon I adore. Yes, it bothers me, but I don't go vegan. Too many years of indulgence.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #5208
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,004
And speaking of chickens, I just read through the "Egg Question" thread. It is full of interesting facts and comments, about both egg and hen. It's very complete - probably all we ever need to know. CWS sure knows her stuff.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #5209
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
You pegged me, Addie. I set up a special coop for these girls. Still waiting to see if they arrive. It is up to the owners if they want to entrust them into my care or that of the HS (personally, I think it is a no-brainer). Y'all know that I think everyone should have chickens at least once and municipalities that outlaw backyard chickens are not helping--with 1 out of 5 children going to bed hungry in North America, it makes no sense to restrict a family's means of producing a source of food.
The Boston Food Bank gets mis shapenbed eggs from some of the farms in surrounding rural areas and are given to families. The carton could contain anything from pullets to double yolkers. But considering they are free to the food bank and then the recipients, not a bad deal.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #5210
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I recently saw a documentary from a vegan, "Vegucated," that exposed several regular old carnivores to the practices of commercial/industrial animal 'farmers.' I have cut back on my meat-buying and meat-eating habits for a year or so now, and was aware for the most part of what happens down on the big farms now. I wasn't prepared to see the little chicks come tumbling down the sorter, potential laying hens down this chute, little roosters-to-be down that one. Don't need all those males. I presume they turn the unwanted fowl into pet food. I've bought a lot of dog and cat food over the years and check for protein content in them -- chicken meal figures greatly in the contents.

I guess I just don't want to think about the reality of where the incredible amount of pet-food protein comes from. So many cans of wet food - I'm afraid to do the math.

And baby cows. And lambs. And little pigs whence come the baby back ribs and later the bacon I adore. Yes, it bothers me, but I don't go vegan. Too many years of indulgence.
The old saying "Everybody loves sausage. But no one wants to see it being made!" comes to mind!
__________________

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.