"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-29-2016, 02:07 AM   #5221
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
It WAS fun, expat! Besides that, when I left the job in late 1999/early 2000, I was getting paid $9 an hour! Just to stand, smile, and offer food to people. Win-win all around.
But how many of those samples did you eat yourself?

Old 08-29-2016, 02:12 AM   #5222
Master Chef

Just one, before we went out. And only if we were unfamiliar with the product. Not a big deal. When you're standing there behind food for six hours (five and a half, since we did get a lunch break) you really aren't interested in eating it.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #5223
Master Chef

I tell you.......I have bought many new items based on what I sampled.......the last being this wonderful, delicious kielbasa sausage from San Antonio.......to die for! The lady who had her table set up was soooooooooooo busy......she was like a queen bee in a hive of hungry worker bees.........but she was just beaming the whole time......that's what I want to be........a queen bee! :)
Old 08-29-2016, 01:03 PM   #5224
Chef Extraordinaire

We have a sausage place up on Rte. 1. He never advertises, and is set back off the road. If you are driving fast you go right by the place. Yet he does a great business. And on Saturday, he has a line waiting to get in. I have had his Kielbasa and it is to just die for. It is his biggest seller.

He also makes other national sausages. From what I understand, he won't make any other national sausage unless he has an original one from 'that' country. Today he makes ones from Mexico, Spain, Italy, Portugal and a few other countries including his Kielbasa from his native Poland.

He works night making the sausages, and his wife and children tend to the store during the day.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:52 PM   #5225
Master Chef

would love to see it..............
Old 08-31-2016, 10:23 AM   #5226
Master Chef

I was traveling past few days and I had a small 4 oz hammer with me (don't ask). Out of curiousity (I knew I had to check it in) I ask TSA agent about and was told that it can be used as a weapon (4 oz Weapon) and as such must be checked in. On the plane with me there was this kid, who had a skateboard. Really 4oz is a weapon and skateboard is just a toy?
I am not complaining, I am all for safety, but really is there any common sense?

P.S. Just posted this question on TSA facebook page, wonder if they will answer.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:34 AM   #5227
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I was traveling past few days and I had a small 4 oz hammer with me (don't ask). Out of curiousity (I knew I had to check it in) I ask TSA agent about and was told that it can be used as a weapon (4 oz Weapon) and as such must be checked in. On the plane with me there was this kid, who had a skateboard. Really 4oz is a weapon and skateboard is just a toy?
I am not complaining, I am all for safety, but really is there any common sense?

P.S. Just posted this question on TSA facebook page, wonder if they will answer.
The rules do seem ludicrous. When I have something that I think will raise questions, I pack it in my luggage that has been checked.

I hope that kid with the skateboard wasn't planning on skating up and down the aisle!
Old 08-31-2016, 11:05 AM   #5228
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post

No common sense with TSA. I had my crochet hook confiscated. I like to have one to fix snags on sweaters. Obviously crochet hooks are also very dangerous.

After the Shoe Bomber thing, DH and I were going back through FL, and NO liquids of any kind were allowed. They took my little one inch foil packet of moisturizer. I told the lady, "Give that back, please, I'll just use it now."
Old 08-31-2016, 11:39 AM   #5229
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
It's all just security theatre.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:37 PM   #5230
Master Chef

on this last flight with British Air, the flight attendant told me that their #1 Pilot got stopped for one of the teeny sample (little bitty packets--not even an ounce) of nice hand lotion that you're given if you fly business or first class...held him awhile as it was Heathrow........you're right, Charlie D., a lot of damage could be done with a skateboard......just think how fast you'd get off if you pulled that hanldle and set off the excape chute on that skateboard!!!