"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-31-2016, 12:48 PM   #5231
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It's all just security theatre.


__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:59 AM   #5232
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,393
The stupidity continues, this is TSA response: "Sorry for the frustration. Tools greater than 7 inches in length are not allowed in carry-on."

Idiots, I did not ask you about the tool, I wanted to know about the skateboard.

I asked them again, no response yet.
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:43 PM   #5233
Senior Cook
 
Souschef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Santa Paula,CA
Posts: 407
We have run into this absolute stupidity everywhere. Kayelle had a 4 oz bottle of cough syrup. she even took a shot of it, but they took it anyhow.
The same with a 4 oz bottle of contact lens solution. It had passed in LA, London, Moscow, and St. Petersburg, but some jobsworth idiot in Heathrow gave her a hard time. She poured some into her contact retainers, but they still took it.
__________________
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:14 PM   #5234
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
Petty Vents

Exactly. And so far, not a single terrorist has been caught. Despite the 4 ounce hammers, crochet hooks, and contact lens solution confiscations.

My nose runs, and I get pulled out of line for a pat-down after the whirly screening thing because I have to carry kleenex in my pockets. I always tell the agents they should be happy I have kleenex in my pockets.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:34 AM   #5235
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
The stupidity continues, this is TSA response: "Sorry for the frustration. Tools greater than 7 inches in length are not allowed in carry-on."

Idiots, I did not ask you about the tool, I wanted to know about the skateboard.

I asked them again, no response yet.
So do any of you think if I bring my embroidery with me, they will confiscate the needle because the tip may have poison on it and if I prick the skin of the pilot who is behind a securely locked door, the plane will crash or the pilot may go to sleep for 100 years like Snow White or Sleeping Beauty did?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:43 AM   #5236
Head Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
So do any of you think if I bring my embroidery with me, they will confiscate the needle because the tip may have poison on it and if I prick the skin of the pilot who is behind a securely locked door, the plane will crash or the pilot may go to sleep for 100 years like Snow White or Sleeping Beauty did?
I've taken my petit point with me before, as well as my 3-4" inch scissors as the guidlines AT THAT TIME said I could. I checked on-line and called because the scissors are extremely sharp and pointed, and aren't cheap so I wanted to be sure before taking them since all I had was carry on luggage. The flight attendants, happened to be all female, were cooing over my petit point as I pulled it out and was working on it during the flight but a couple of them were really surprised I was allowed to bring my scissors on board. Just told them I had done the above and didn't have a problem at all going through security with them. Their response was oh, I didn't know that.
__________________
medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #5237
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I've taken my petit point with me before, as well as my 3-4" inch scissors as the guidlines AT THAT TIME said I could. I checked on-line and called because the scissors are extremely sharp and pointed, and aren't cheap so I wanted to be sure before taking them since all I had was carry on luggage. The flight attendants, happened to be all female, were cooing over my petit point as I pulled it out and was working on it during the flight but a couple of them were really surprised I was allowed to bring my scissors on board. Just told them I had done the above and didn't have a problem at all going through security with them. Their response was oh, I didn't know that.
Exactly! It should be a requirement that before reporting to work, that they read the latest rules update of the Home Security. There is absolutely no consistent interpretation of the daily rules of what can and what can't be brought on board.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:30 PM   #5238
Sous Chef
 
Silversage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 863
You save yourself a lot of hassle when you fly if you get yourself TSA Prechecked. It's only $80 and it's good for 5 years. You skip all that nonsense with taking off shoes, opening your laptop, showing your bag full of lotions, etc.

The process is simple. Fill out an application online, then go to a TSA spot and get fingerprinted. In just a couple days you have your clearance number. You still have to show ID and put carry-ons through the scanner, but you get to skip the real aggravating stuff - and you get to go in the shorter line.

If you only make 1 round trip per year, it comes to just $8 per flight for the convenience. If you travel more, the cost per flight drops to almost nothing.

BTW Charlie, I know that skateboards are banned on Delta as carry-on, and I think several of the other carriers. It's up to the individual airline, not a TSA issue.
__________________
In our house, dog hair is a condiment!
OMG! I decided to blog!
Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #5239
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,022
Does anyone know if I can bring my own food on board? I am a diabetic and just graze for most of the day to keep my sugars level. I am not too fond of airport food. And besides, it can be expensive buying food there.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #5240
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
Petty Vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Does anyone know if I can bring my own food on board? I am a diabetic and just graze for most of the day to keep my sugars level. I am not too fond of airport food. And besides, it can be expensive buying food there.

Depends. If it's liquid, like salad dressing or condiments, it will need to go in your 1 quart ziplock. You can bring stuff like carrot sticks and sandwiches from home. There are several good websites with suggestions as to what to take for food. Here's an idea: https://consumerist.com/2016/06/27/h...port-security/ I always bring an empty water bottle and fill it up at the water fountain after clearing security as I don't feel like paying $5 for a bottle of water.

And I too love the TSA precheck, though our closest little airport doesn't always honor it. When they do, it's a breeze getting through. We also have Global Entry, so can blow through the huge lines going through immigration.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.