Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, I hate doing the hands...that hurts. I know from experience, too many nurses go for the hands before other less painful options.

When I request (demand) a draw from my hand with a butterfly needle, I'm always up for an argument about it. Through my lifetime, I've had countless people try my arms and everyone has failed their promise for a painless draw because they are an "expert". For me, the slight pain from a butterfly hand draw is nothing in comparison.

Wish it was just slight pain when my hands are used. Would rather be hit with a bat.

I always ask my patient where they want their blood draw done and always use a butterfly. Elder veins burst when the vacuum tubes are used. Patient preference first, then on to other sites if unable to use the first choice.

PF, I'll admit an IV in the hand with a regular needle is pretty brutal, but I have no problem with a butterfly needle for a hand draw.
It may be worth a try for others.

Last edited:
Not sure I have any veins. I always explain to the phlebotomist that I need a child-sized or butterfly needle, and am always reassured that they know what they're doing. No they don't.

The only ones who seemed to hit it right every time were the nurses through the wellness program at work.

Last edited:
Sorry I can't give blood for all you guys, but I have great veins. Doesnt mean I don't feel a poke or prick :cry: because that depends on the skill of the vampire. But all the have to do is get the tip of the needle near my arm and the vials fill lickity split. I know I didn't get my veins from my Mom, since hers would deflate as soon as the needle found a vein - and finding one was an adventure all of its own.

...I think I stopped reading directions when I was 20 and knew it all...
Then you turned 40 and found out the truth. ;) Or had kids and had them tell you how dumb you were...until you weren't. The best words our kids have ever said to me were "I'm glad you're my Mom, I learned so much from you". :heart:

I have large, easy to find veins. I don't want doctors, except residents, to draw my blood. They always leave a bruise (except my doctor when I remind her that she is the only doctor allowed to draw my blood). I find lab techs are the best at drawing blood. Never a problem or a bruise. I'm the opposite of Roadfix. I want to see what they are doing. I don't like when someone sticks me with a needle when I'm not watching.

PrincessFiona, actually when done right the hands dont hurt more then the arms.
Maybe not for you, but most people don't experience it that way. As a nurse who draws blood regularly, I think the Princess has a lot more experience seeing people's reactions than the rest of us.

The wrist is the absolute worst, though.

Got Garlic, as person who has chronic disease and part of support groups and we tend to talk, not judge each other. We all been told by nurses that the hand hurts so much, but it doesn't to us, being jabbed 5 times in the arm is bloody painful, compared to one time in the hand. Under the foot is even worse, if you ever wonder.

When a competent nurse uses a butterfly needle, with the correct heating pad in the hand, it doesnt hurt that much at all. It is short sharp pain and then gone. If it done incorrectly, yes it hurts because a needle shouldn't go through the hand ( yeap had that happening to me).

PrincessFiona, actually when done right the hands dont hurt more then the arms.

I disagree. They hurt me, way more than the arms. Pain is subjective, some feel it more than others.

There is no "right way" to poke a piece of metal into someone's body. The "poker" must have empathy and care about not hurting their patients needlessly.

PrincessFiona: stabbing right into it, isnt the right way. Trust me.
My nurse Gull ( means cutie or golden, not bird) train people to do it right in hand, she uses me from time to time as test subject, or more as show and tell.
Yes pain is subjective, but tell people before hand this will hurt a lot, only make people tense and then it hurt more then it should.

PrincessFiona: stabbing right into it, isnt the right way. Trust me.
My nurse Gull ( means cutie or golden, not bird) train people to do it right in hand, she uses me from time to time as test subject, or more as show and tell.
Yes pain is subjective, but tell people before hand this will hurt a lot, only make people tense and then it hurt more then it should.

Ummm...I've been a successful nurse for 20 years, now. I think I know how to do my job. I don't stab anyone, I do proper blood draws.

I do not like having my hands done, IT HURTS, no matter how gentle and caring the person poking tries to be. NONE of the tricks of the trade work for me and my hands. I understand MY pain. Enough said on this subject.

Next time I have draws, I'm flying PF here. She knows from whence she speaks, unlike the butchers here.

Got Garlic, as person who has chronic disease and part of support groups and we tend to talk, not judge each other. We all been told by nurses that the hand hurts so much, but it doesn't to us, being jabbed 5 times in the arm is bloody painful, compared to one time in the hand. Under the foot is even worse, if you ever wonder.

When a competent nurse uses a butterfly needle, with the correct heating pad in the hand, it doesnt hurt that much at all. It is short sharp pain and then gone. If it done incorrectly, yes it hurts because a needle shouldn't go through the hand ( yeap had that happening to me).
I don't have to wonder. I have several chronic illnesses myself, and I have had an attempt in my foot. Unbearable.

The thing is that most people don't have serious chronic illness to that extent and that's what Princess Fiona is speaking to.

PrincessFiona, I had a guy stabbing right through my hand just because he didnt like doing in hands. I dont know how he thought he would get blood from the chair underneath...

Wish it was just slight pain when my hands are used. Would rather be hit with a bat.

I always ask my patient where they want their blood draw done and always use a butterfly. Elder veins burst when the vacuum tubes are used. Patient preference first, then on to other sites if unable to use the first choice.

I love the butterfly needles - and I forgot to mention that the girl who did my blood work Friday mentioned, as I was getting ready to leave, that I was her first unsupervised blood draw. :ermm:

Drink plenty of water before a blood draw. This will make sure you are well hydrated and get fewer pokes trying to find a vein that will give.

I have to do fasting blood draws. So I go first thing in the morning. No time to rehydrate but it's usually not a problem. I definitely makes a difference who's doing the blood draw. They always draw from the crook of my elbow.

Heating pad in the hand? I've never heard of that. What does it accomplish? You had a needle actually go THROUGH your hand? How on earth did that happen?

Heating pad in the hand? I've never heard of that. What does it accomplish?

I've had that done. The warmth expands the blood vessels and helps make them more visible. It's only necessary with people who have had lots of blood draws, so the usual places are scarred, and the veins that can be used are small.

Back
Top Bottom