"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #5241
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
You save yourself a lot of hassle when you fly if you get yourself TSA Prechecked. It's only $80 and it's good for 5 years. You skip all that nonsense with taking off shoes, opening your laptop, showing your bag full of lotions, etc.

The process is simple. Fill out an application online, then go to a TSA spot and get fingerprinted. In just a couple days you have your clearance number. You still have to show ID and put carry-ons through the scanner, but you get to skip the real aggravating stuff - and you get to go in the shorter line.

If you only make 1 round trip per year, it comes to just $8 per flight for the convenience. If you travel more, the cost per flight drops to almost nothing.

BTW Charlie, I know that skateboards are banned on Delta as carry-on, and I think several of the other carriers. It's up to the individual airline, not a TSA issue.

The last time I flew, which was just under a year ago, I did the pre-check-in on-line where I had to fill out social, DL#, DOB, and some other info at the time I bought the ticket. When I went to go through security, the initial TSA agent sent me down another line than she had been sending everyone else and I thought #*$# I'm going to have to go through one of those invasive searches. Nope, I just had to walk through a metal detector and my stuff went on the conveyor, no opening luggage, taking shoes off or anything else. No waiting, no muss, no fuss. I talked to one of the TSA agents on the other side and asked why I got such quick treatment, not that I was complaining, just curious. She said because I did the on-line pre-flight info that I was already cleared. Didn't have to pay any extra for it.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:35 PM   #5242
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Depends. If it's liquid, like salad dressing or condiments, it will need to go in your 1 quart ziplock. You can bring stuff like carrot sticks and sandwiches from home. There are several good websites with suggestions as to what to take for food. Here's an idea: https://consumerist.com/2016/06/27/h...port-security/ I always bring an empty water bottle and fill it up at the water fountain after clearing security as I don't feel like paying $5 for a bottle of water.

And I too love the TSA precheck, though our closest little airport doesn't always honor it. When they do, it's a breeze getting through. We also have Global Entry, so can blow through the huge lines going through immigration.
Here at Boston's Logan Airport, all foreign and domestic planes coming from another country, that are carrying foreigners go to Terminal E. American citizens returning home go to their own sections of Customs, foreigners to another.

Because I can't walk more than about ten feet, I have to use a wheelchair. I don't have to stand in line. Handicap folks are breezed through. I just have to let them know before I arrive at the airport, that I am handicapped and need assistance. I am also the first passenger they let off the plane. My wheelchair is waiting for me. And off to grab my luggage. The airport has volunteers that push wheelchair passengers to their destination. They depend on tips for their income. I am very grateful for their service and always tip well. Airports are huge and they do a lot of walking just depending on tips.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:31 PM   #5243
Master Chef

Addie...just curious. When was the last time you flew the wild blue yonder?
Old 09-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #5244
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Addie...just curious. When was the last time you flew the wild blue yonder?
About two or three years ago. I went down to Georgia to spend a week with a very dear friend. I am now contemplating another trip for Thanksgiving.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:38 PM   #5245
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Exactly! It should be a requirement that before reporting to work, that they read the latest rules update of the Home Security. There is absolutely no consistent interpretation of the daily rules of what can and what can't be brought on board.
It's not the job of the flight attendants to determine what is brought on board
Old 09-04-2016, 11:35 AM   #5246
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post

BTW Charlie, I know that skateboards are banned on Delta as carry-on, and I think several of the other carriers. It's up to the individual airline, not a TSA issue.

It was Delta.
Also I thought pre-check is only good for one year

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 09-04-2016, 06:32 PM   #5247
Master Chef

I tell you some waiters have hutzpa. How do you say that in English. He did not ask me how I want my hamburger and I totally forgot to mention that I like it as row as they would make it. He tells me I wanted well done. He says I have it on the ticket. He is lucky I was too hungry and with the family. I would have put that plate over his head.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #5248
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Chutzpah. Audacity, assumption, cheekiness.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #5249
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Charlie, we usually just say "chuptzpa".
Old 09-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #5250
Master Chef

Thank you. Chutzpah it was.