"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-13-2016, 02:47 AM   #5251
Master Chef

Toilet bowl cleaner bottle caps.

I completely understand the reason for making the cap childproof. But why do they have to make it impossible for someone with slightly arthritic hands to open it???

Old 09-13-2016, 03:00 AM   #5252
Sous Chef

I am disliking my neighbors today. Everyday between 6.55 and 7. 20 an alarm goes of to wake the next door nutter, it take that long before it shuts off. Mine goes off at 7.00, I wake at 6.55 from his alarm, even on Saturdays. And my "posh, I am so much better then you neighbor" started vacuuming sludge out of their house at 7.30 , it still going on 1Ĺ hour later.
Why couldn't they wait to normal hours which be waiting 1 more hour?

They never think of other people, they even removed the trees that protected us from their nightly naughtiness. Yes , we can see in to their bedroom, all 5 apartments can, it not like we can avoid using half of our apartments due to them.

This humming noise making me cranky.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:52 AM   #5253
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

I completely understand the reason for making the cap childproof. But why do they have to make it impossible for someone with slightly arthritic hands to open it???
Grrr.... I have the same problem with bleach bottles. And I always made sure I buy only "elderly friendly" OTC medicines. Manfs. need to make both types of caps. Then it is up to the store to put the non child proofs up where little hands can't reach.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:39 AM   #5254
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
I am disliking my neighbors today. Everyday between 6.55 and 7. 20 an alarm goes of to wake the next door nutter, it take that long before it shuts off. Mine goes off at 7.00, I wake at 6.55 from his alarm, even on Saturdays. And my "posh, I am so much better then you neighbor" started vacuuming sludge out of their house at 7.30 , it still going on 1Ĺ hour later.
Why couldn't they wait to normal hours which be waiting 1 more hour?

They never think of other people, they even removed the trees that protected us from their nightly naughtiness. Yes , we can see in to their bedroom, all 5 apartments can, it not like we can avoid using half of our apartments due to them.

This humming noise making me cranky.
I'd be speaking to my landlord, hopefully along with the other neighbors.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:51 AM   #5255
Sous Chef

I did the Swedish thing and put angry note on the Door to our house, say Change alarm tone so you wake up, I want to sleep.

The other nutters, lives in their own house, they can do as they please but they always act like they more then us and honestly, I hope they move soon. Yeah, they have money, " good" looks, lousy taste in underwear, the most modern **** in their house , the wrong wines for dinner and all that jazz, but they could be nice and polite to their neighbors.

They have been trying to sell the house for over it value for sometime now. A house were your neighbors can see into isnt worth that much, even if you paint every square inch white and write Carpe Diem everywhere.

Am I cranky today, YES.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:46 AM   #5256
Head Chef

Don't you guys have curtains or blinds? I understand if you are outside, but inside, I'd just close my curtains/blinds so I didn't have to see them.

If they painted carpe diem all over their walls, I'd definitely agree with the "nutters" and also say they must not want to sell their house very badly.

Be glad it's just a hum. I lived in a condo for a couple of years. Every Saturday, the vacuum would start upstairs, as well as screeching and screaming. A young couple lived upstairs and we started to wonder if he was beating on her and using vacuum to try to cover the noise. We were debating whether or not to call the cops after this kept happening for several weeks. Finally saw her out on their balconey, started talking to her and ended up flat out asking her. She busted out laughing and said it wasn't her but their parrot who hated the vacuum.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #5257
Sous Chef

Well we used to live in the apartment, that all its window towards their house, we spent most of life with shut blinds in the evening due to them. Sometimes we forgot to shut the kitchen blinds when we got water in the evening and yes, they only drew down half the way, we are above, we are on a angle. My landlord has forced them to replace the trees they removed that actually belonged to this property, so now in a few years there be a cypress hedge between us.

We have tried to talk to them, well they above and acts all snotty when we do.

I got hold of the neighbor with the alarm at least, he promised to change alarm signal so gets up in the morning.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:38 AM   #5258
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

A very arthritic friend has been giving the bottle to her grandson to open for her since he was about old enough to have strong enough hands!

What happened to storing such things out of the reach of children and teaching the children not to touch? I knew the bleach was under the sink from the time I could toddle but also knew that all hell would land on my head if I even touched the cupboard door (and no, my mother wasn't a child beater - just a sensible mother who had grown up with her own sensible mother).
Old 09-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #5259
Master Chef

`i've been lucky......most people are more than willing to help arthritic people open containers, shove their stuff on board and for pushing through on airline checkpoints.......`i'm overwhelmed with the kindness of others.......
Old 09-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #5260
Head Chef

Last night, I got a phone call from a number I didn't recognize so let it go to voice mail. When I listened to the voice mail, I was informed that the call was a reminder for an appointment for Monday in the middle of the day for an eye exam. It's been a year since I last went. Okay, I KNOW I did not make that appointment because:

1. I don't make appointments that far in advance, won't even make a 3-month appointment at my primary doc's office.
2. I only make appointments on my days off, and Monday is not, nor has it even been a day off for me unless it's a holiday (when the eye doctor would be closed anyway).
3. I don't make appointments in the middle of the day, it's either early in the day or late in the day so that I don't have a split day on my day off when I'm generally trying to get things done around the house, work on a project or run errands.

This has happened to me a couple of other times in the last 6 months or so, not necessarily healthcare associated. One was the cable company when we moved and were having trouble getting things connected (ordered a DIY kit). My call got disconnected after the guy went off to check something/ask somebody a question, and by then I was so irritated and frustrated with them that I didn't bother calling back, just figured out the problem myself.

Okay, I know it's petty, but why should I have to waste my time calling these people back to tell them I don't want the appointment when I DIDN"T MAKE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE?