"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-13-2016, 01:51 PM   #5261
Chef Extraordinaire

medtran, that is an old ploy all medical offices use. It puts more money in their coffers. If they waited until the patient was at death's door or just about blind to come into the office, they would have to close their doors. And if you don't show up, you get billed for the missed appointment.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:57 PM   #5262
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
`i've been lucky......most people are more than willing to help arthritic people open containers, shove their stuff on board and for pushing through on airline checkpoints.......`i'm overwhelmed with the kindness of others.......
I have one finger that is presently intent to make my life miserable. The last time I went shopping, it decided it had been quiet for more than one day. I had just reached and grabbed a glass jar off the shelf. All of a sudden my finger started to burn and hurt at the same time. The pain caused tears to start running down my cheeks. The jar went flying and smashed into smithereens. An employee was close by and came running to my aid. He offered me the corner of his apron to wipe away the tears. He then got me another jar and sent me on my way on the scooter. Then he cleaned up the mess.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:37 PM   #5263
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
medtran, that is an old ploy all medical offices use. It puts more money in their coffers. If they waited until the patient was at death's door or just about blind to come into the office, they would have to close their doors. And if you don't show up, you get billed for the missed appointment.
All medical offices? Maybe medical offices that have elderly patients who receive public benefits. The only doctor of mine that sets up appointments for me is my GI doctor and we have agreed that quarterly appointments are appropriate.

Doctors have more patients than they have time to see. They certainly do not need to drum up business that way.

That said, I don't know why medtran's eye doctor did that. There are some conditions that require doctors to try to follow up, but they should have called to confirm.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #5264
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have one finger that is presently intent to make my life miserable. The last time I went shopping, it decided it had been quiet for more than one day. I had just reached and grabbed a glass jar off the shelf. All of a sudden my finger started to burn and hurt at the same time. The pain caused tears to start running down my cheeks. The jar went flying and smashed into smithereens. An employee was close by and came running to my aid. He offered me the corner of his apron to wipe away the tears. He then got me another jar and sent me on my way on the scooter. Then he cleaned up the mess.
oh, Addie, I know how you feel! You were so lucky to have such a great samaritan on hand.......just like when `i was in line at the airport and being rushed to hurry up and move along......`i just replied that `i was doing the best I could with arthriitis and everyone around me pushed in to help.....`i couldn't believe it......it was amazing..........`i could have cried.....
Old 09-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #5265
Head Chef

We were out grocery shopping Friday and while we were driving around looking for a place to park, I noticed a car that was having difficulty parking and it looked like they hit the car in the spot next to them. After we parked and were walking in, I told Craig I thought they had hit that car so we stopped to look and sure enough there was a scrape on the already parked car and paint from that car on the car that was parking. No note of course on the "victim car." So, I wrote down the license plates of both cars, and the make and model of the offender and went into the store, explained what had happened and asked them to page the victim car's owner. I waited outside while Craig went ahead with our shopping. Apparently, the owner of the car never heard or understood the PA announcement because they came out and the man got in the car without even noticing the damage (how I don't know). Fortunately, the woman getting in was a little slower so I was able to flag them down and tell them about it. I thought he was going to put the car into reverse before she even got all the way in the car, he was in such a hurry. Apparently, he was already having a bad day because he was very brusque and dismissive, even though the woman was upset about it. Personally, I don't get it because it was a very nice car, newer, no body damage or other scrapes, and I'd have been furious, especially with the person not leaving a note. He just told the woman he didn't want to be bothered and let's go. She at least said thank you for letting us know and getting the info in case the other person left, and she did take photos. And they had a Marine Corp sticker on the car.

I told Craig, I'm going to quit trying to do the right thing by other people and just mind my own business because it seems like every time I do, I either end up with somebody mad at me or just blown off.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #5266
Master Chef

Well, you'd love Texas, medtran........ some people here have no hesitation in keying someone's car for the pure h''' of it........I park in the netherzones so I can avoid such wretches........and still.......I don't know how many times I have had to python-squeeze out of my car or crawl across to the passenger side (and that ain't easy being 62 years old) so that I don't have my car door opening on someone elses........and yes, I have grrrrrrrrred at some of the uncaring owners of the vehicles around me..........but I could never bring myself to damage someone's car out of sheer nastiness.......
Old 09-25-2016, 02:43 PM   #5267
Master Chef

one reason why drive a clunker....
Old 09-25-2016, 03:09 PM   #5268
Master Chef

hahaha!
Old 09-25-2016, 03:14 PM   #5269
Master Chef

My wife, on the other hand, needs a new car every 4 years....
Old 09-25-2016, 03:20 PM   #5270
Master Chef

That's just not fair!!!! And good for her!!! Yes, you definitely need to drive the clunker!!! :) When you visit Houston, bring the clunker! That's for sure!