"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #5271
Master Chef

forgot to add: just be sure your autos are up to date on insurance, licensing, inspections, etc.........they're pretty serious over here if you ever do visit TX........bet Florida is the same way......

Old 09-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #5272
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
...I don't know how many times I have had to python-squeeze out of my car or crawl across to the passenger side (and that ain't easy being 62 years old) so that I don't have my car door opening on someone elses...
Love the phrase "python-squeeze"!

That kind of parking isn't exclusive to just TX. I don't know if the parking spaces in MA are narrower than those in OH, but I do know that the people up here just loove driving their behemoth vehicles. ~ Then there are the drivers who think the lines are just a suggestion, with the left front tire in the spot to the left of the car, and the right rear tire on the line to its right.

I swear one of these days I'm walking out the door with a stack of printed notes in my hand, all with the same message: "Next time you park, please try and stay between your lines. Thank you." I know I'll never do that, though. With my luck, I'd probably be putting a note under the wiper blade just as the car owner approached his car...and he'd be some 6'5" in guy who was just as much of a behemoth as his car.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:28 PM   #5273
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
forgot to add: just be sure your autos are up to date on insurance, licensing, inspections, etc.........they're pretty serious over here if you ever do visit TX........bet Florida is the same way......
When our son headed to college his first year, his twin sister and I drove out with him. Poor Himself couldn't go because of a fussy customer that just couldn't bear the thought of another tech support being on hand in case they needed help (they didn't ), so he and his friend "Jim" spent the first night getting very well re-acquainted. Meanwhile, we were driving through the panhandle of TX on day two, baby boy Goober behind the wheel, and cruise control set at "the 10%" speed - ten percent added to the posted speed limit of 70. Um, we didn't know you were supposed to do at least one MPH under the posted speed... Got stopped, and the trooper said he clocked us at 81. I told him that wasn't possible since we had the cruise control set...and shut up before I admitted we were at least speeding. Didn't matter, he ticketed Goober for 81. Turned out that was the starting speed for the second tier of fines. Had he been cited for going 77 we would have paid at least $50 for speeding.

Funny thing is, when we were done with the trooper and got back on the road, Goober said he was afraid that had I argued with the trooper he would have pulled a portable electric chair from the trunk, set it up right there on the side of the road, and administered justice right there.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:34 PM   #5274
Master Chef

oh, my, I'm crying tears I'm laughing so hard, CG............no, in Texas, or at least my neck of the woods it's ok to go 5 miles over the limit and not be harassed.......someone who worked with judges informed me that officers would get into trouble if citations were issued to miscreants going less than that........they just threw them out.......so with that in mind I've never been pulled over........7 miles might be a different story........your boy Goober must have made their day.........yes, we do have speed traps here in TX and they will take you in for anything...........you just have to google and find out what cities they're in........Sealy outside of Houston on the way to San Antonio is a definite slow down area.............
Old 09-26-2016, 12:42 PM   #5275
Chef Extraordinaire

Here in Mass. the speed limit is 65 mph on every highway. But if all the traffic is traveling 70-75 mph, and you are keeping up with it, it is very doubtful you will get stopped. It is when you are in the passing lane and going 45-50 mph and impeding the traffic that you will get pulled over. Or if you are weaving in and out of traffic and changing lanes. You will definitely pulled over.

Our cops hate paper work. Although in the event you take it to court, they are only too happy to appear against you. That counts as overtime.

Do not expect to get anywhere in a hurry in the early morning or late afternoon. Bumper to bumper cars trying to get to work in a hurry or home. The south shore is notorious for accidents and horrible traffic jams. No worry there about getting a ticket for speeding.

The North Shore is not much better. We have all the folks from NH coming to work in Mass. I do wish they would find work in their own state.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:05 PM   #5276
Master Chef

oh, my, Addie...........just when you think your life is bad......that's what's great about these sites.......we're all swimming in the same boats...........and all over the continent.........well you hang in there, Girlfriend
Old 10-05-2016, 08:46 PM   #5277
Master Chef

Darn. It is so beautiful outside and I am sick like a dog. The timing could not be worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 10-05-2016, 09:06 PM   #5278
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Here in Mass. the speed limit is 65 mph on every highway. But if all the traffic is traveling 70-75 mph, and you are keeping up with it, it is very doubtful you will get stopped. It is when you are in the passing lane and going 45-50 mph and impeding the traffic that you will get pulled over. Or if you are weaving in and out of traffic and changing lanes. You will definitely pulled over.

Our cops hate paper work. Although in the event you take it to court, they are only too happy to appear against you. That counts as overtime.

Do not expect to get anywhere in a hurry in the early morning or late afternoon. Bumper to bumper cars trying to get to work in a hurry or home. The south shore is notorious for accidents and horrible traffic jams. No worry there about getting a ticket for speeding.

The North Shore is not much better. We have all the folks from NH coming to work in Mass. I do wish they would find work in their own state.
Groan. For someone who has never had a drivers license, your expertise on the subject is laughable Addie.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:42 PM   #5279
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Darn. It is so beautiful outside and I am sick like a dog. The timing could not be worse.

So sorry to hear you're under the weather-get better soon. Jo
Old 10-05-2016, 10:34 PM   #5280
Master Chef

Thank you