"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #521
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Danged wrist is inflamed again. It's bad enough that I can't use my right hand to drink tea. I'm starting the Voltaren tonight. I think I better talk to my doctor about this. I can see from this thread that the last time it happened was 2012-11-18.

This is making me rethink the idea of getting a powerful mixer. I figured I wouldn't use it enough, but I can't even make banana bread at the moment.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #522
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The condo member who used to be our handy man opened the garage door manually. So, I got a chance to buy potatoes and a skirt for the Danish Club Mortens Goose dinner tomorrow night.
Do you have a side pedestrian door available so you can gain access? On the motor there is a rope hanging down. If you pull that rope it disengages the electrical part of the motor and you can open the door manually.

A quick story. I worked for a garage door company. One day they installed new doors in the Saugus fire department and gave them the preset remotes. All of a sudden we started to get calls from all the businesses on Route One. It seems every time the fire department went by, their overhead doors were opening by themselves. We always set all the remotes with the same code. It was up to the customer to change it. So all these businesses had the same code as the fire department. The only difference was the fire department had a more powerful remote so they could open the doors about a block away from the fire house on their return. It seems one of the firefighters had the remote in his pocket and was sitting on the open button. Thus all the doors were opening.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #523
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Do you have a side pedestrian door available so you can gain access? On the motor there is a rope hanging down. If you pull that rope it disengages the electrical part of the motor and you can open the door manually.

We have a side door, but that is only for exiting. I have access from my basement. I looked at the motor, but I couldn't see the rope/chain. I was shown once, but it involved turning off a switch and removing a chain from a sprocket or something like that.

Not being able to get in the side door is one of my vents. The teenagers leave it open so they can get back in. Then we sometimes get vandalism from people wandering in.

The condo administrators say that we can't put a lock that opens with a key from the outside because it's a fire safety door with a bar. I say that's nonsense. I have seen plenty of those doors that open with a bar from the inside, that can be unlocked from the outside. Don't these people pay attention at hospitals, in bars, some stores? I'm going to talk to my locksmith and ask for a quote.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #524
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
We have a side door, but that is only for exiting. I have access from my basement. I looked at the motor, but I couldn't see the rope/chain. I was shown once, but it involved turning off a switch and removing a chain from a sprocket or something like that.

Not being able to get in the side door is one of my vents. The teenagers leave it open so they can get back in. Then we sometimes get vandalism from people wandering in.

The condo administrators say that we can't put a lock that opens with a key from the outside because it's a fire safety door with a bar. I say that's nonsense. I have seen plenty of those doors that open with a bar from the inside, that can be unlocked from the outside. Don't these people pay attention at hospitals, in bars, some stores? I'm going to talk to my locksmith and ask for a quote.
That is called a "crash bar."
Old 12-08-2012, 03:07 AM   #525
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Danged wrist is inflamed again. It's bad enough that I can't use my right hand to drink tea. I'm starting the Voltaren tonight. I think I better talk to my doctor about this. I can see from this thread that the last time it happened was 2012-11-18.

This is making me rethink the idea of getting a powerful mixer. I figured I wouldn't use it enough, but I can't even make banana bread at the moment.
Hope your doctor can find out what is wrong Taxy
Old 12-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #526
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm making a sponge cake for the trifle. Ack! I got six eggs separated properly. The seventh one, somehow there was some yoke in the white and I didn't notice until I dumped it in with the other egg whites. I tried to fish out the yoke, but it just spread around. I guess we're having an omelette for supper.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #527
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I'm making a sponge cake for the trifle. Ack! I got six eggs separated properly. The seventh one, somehow there was some yoke in the white and I didn't notice until I dumped it in with the other egg whites. I tried to fish out the yoke, but it just spread around. I guess we're having an omelette for supper.
TL needs three bowls to crack and separate eggs...how was the omelet?
Old 12-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #528
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
TL needs three bowls to crack and separate eggs...how was the omelet?
The omelette was good.

I used three bowls! I just didn't notice the egg yoke in the little bowl before I put it in with the other egg whites.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #529
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
The omelette was good.

I used three bowls! I just didn't notice the egg yoke in the little bowl before I put it in with the other egg whites.
4 bowls...
Old 12-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #530
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
4 bowls...

How would that work?