"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #5291
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,928
Wanted to buy a new PC. MY company is offering a purchasing program as a part of benefits package, where they claim that we will receive a 12% discount of purchase of new Dell. Called the Dell. Guess what, the discount is only 2%. Bastards.
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #5292
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,690
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Wanted to buy a new PC. MY company is offering a purchasing program as a part of benefits package, where they claim that we will receive a 12% discount of purchase of new Dell. Called the Dell. Guess what, the discount is only 2%. Bastards.
Tell your company.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #5293
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Doesn't his company provide free laundry service for his uniforms?
Actually have say that my company is not always bad. They do provide uniform and the laundry service. It is a huge help, huge. I work in a dirty machine shop; I love laundered shirts and pants every day.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #5294
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Actually have say that my company is not always bad. They do provide uniform and the laundry service. It is a huge help, huge. I work in a dirty machine shop; I love laundered shirts and pants every day.
Charlie I once worked for a company that provided laundry service and the bill used to cross my desk. I know how expensive it is. So it is a huge help. They also provided heavy winter jackets along with other articles of clothing. Shorts and T shirts in the summer, work boots, safety glasses, etc. It was an very costly expense that the company ate. They also offered full medical and dental BC/BS coverage and paid 3/4 of the monthly premium.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #5295
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Charlie I once worked for a company that provided laundry service and the bill used to cross my desk. I know how expensive it is. So it is a huge help. They also provided heavy winter jackets along with other articles of clothing. Shorts and T shirts in the summer, work boots, safety glasses, etc. It was an very costly expense that the company ate. They also offered full medical and dental BC/BS coverage and paid 3/4 of the monthly premium.
That must have been some company, nobody does things like that anymore .
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #5296
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
That must have been some company, nobody does things like that anymore .
When I first went to work for them, they were writing their bills out by hand. No typewriter, letterhead, etc. That was the first year. By the end of that year, they were worth over $1m. And from there the company has just kept growing. They shared that growth with their workers because the owner realized that without them, there would be no company.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #5297
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,593
I submit for your review the following "conversation":

Person1(P1) - I'm going to go over there early to make sure the system connects to their network. I can't remember if I've ever connected to it before.

Person2(P2) - I'm pretty sure you did.

P1 - OK, well I'm still going to go over early because I can't remember for sure.

P2 - Weeelll, I'm pretty sure you did.

P1 - Well, I don't remember and I want to be sure.

P2 - Well I'm just telling you I think you did.

P1 - That's fine, you already said that. I get it. But this is for work so I'm just telling you I want to be sure.

P2 - Well, I'm pretty sure you did.


Would you consider this an argument?
__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #5298
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,690
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
I submit for your review the following "conversation":

Person1(P1) - I'm going to go over there early to make sure the system connects to their network. I can't remember if I've ever connected to it before.

Person2(P2) - I'm pretty sure you did.

P1 - OK, well I'm still going to go over early because I can't remember for sure.

P2 - Weeelll, I'm pretty sure you did.

P1 - Well, I don't remember and I want to be sure.

P2 - Well I'm just telling you I think you did.

P1 - That's fine, you already said that. I get it. But this is for work so I'm just telling you I want to be sure.

P2 - Well, I'm pretty sure you did.


Would you consider this an argument?
Hmm, good question.

It's time for P1 to say, "What's your point?"
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #5299
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 43,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
I submit for your review the following "conversation":

Person1(P1) - I'm going to go over there early to make sure the system connects to their network. I can't remember if I've ever connected to it before.

Person2(P2) - I'm pretty sure you did.

P1 - OK, well I'm still going to go over early because I can't remember for sure.

P2 - Weeelll, I'm pretty sure you did.

P1 - Well, I don't remember and I want to be sure.

P2 - Well I'm just telling you I think you did.

P1 - That's fine, you already said that. I get it. But this is for work so I'm just telling you I want to be sure.

P2 - Well, I'm pretty sure you did.


Would you consider this an argument?

I think P2 should have dropped it after the first exchange and let P1 go to work.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #5300
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 19,955
Yes. P2 is trying to "win." P1 doesn't want to run into an issue, especially one that could have been avoided by going early to double-check
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.