Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In December, I had a vitreous separation of the macula, which left large floaters in my left eye. Yesterday I was in to the ophthalmologist again for the same thing with the same result, only for the right eye this time, and it's a little bit worse. GAH! Now I feel like I'm looking through dirty glasses all day long.:mad:

So sorry to hear this. Here's hoping that it won't get worse. Take care and be sure to go back asap if there is any other signals.

Darn Easter Rabbit must have stowed some of his floaters with you while he went hopping around. Not much chance but let's hope he comes back and takes'em home with him.

My son that is a senior in high school had an interview for scholarship Saturday in a town 3 hours away. So my cousin rode along and we made a day of it. 6 hour round trip and he didn't get it. A little disappointing but that's life I guess. I let the kid drive home and I don't know what he was thinking but he passed someone over a solid line. It wasn't solid when he started to pass but quickly ran out of room. I was in the passenger seat yelling at him no no no. Well he got a nice little a$$ chewing from me and my cousin in the back seat. Then sunday he went to town and came back with my old 82 chevy pickup all muddy. Oh we went down some minimum maintenance roads. I have to wash your truck. Hes been driving my old pickup to school since he wreaked his car. Twice in 2 days hes proven he cant be resopnsable to drive my vehicles. Hes going to be be riding the bus to school for a while.

Then last night I moved my juvenile chicks in with the adults. They are about 3 months old. They have been in the same pen for a few days and seemed to get along fine. I started putting them in the coop. They dont know they are suppose to go in there at night. Well my big rooster attacked them. So we had little confrontation and he in in solitary confinement for a while. Until everyone else gets use to each other. Then he can come out. If he keeps it up he will be soup.

Well, it doesn't sound like yesterday was your day. Today is going to be better. I am rooting for an American to win the Marathon today.

Yesterday, I had a very quiet day. I thought my daughter would send me a small plate of her ham dinner. No such luck. I had a dish of FF and a small burger. No Easter candy for me. I kept taking small naps throughout the day. Ten minutes here, 15 minutes later on. So today I am full of spit and vinegar. I just cleaned the kitchen AGAIN, washed all the floors, and dusted. So much for any excitement in my life.

Yesterday late in the afternoon, I took a walk downstairs to the Community Room. I try to give my legs some use every so often. A case of use it or lose it. I saw the building gossip sitting there and I walked in. I walked in to a private party. I didn't see those folks there from the doorway. It seems the party was for the gossiper. For the past three years since her husband died, her whole family now comes here to spend the holidays with her. She told me that no one in her family has a home large enough for all of them to get together at the same time. But the Community Room can hold about 50 folks. And that room is ours for the using. You just have to make the reservation for it so none of the residents like me walk in on them. But she was gracious about it. It seems that my kids grew up with her kids. They all played together. I called Pirate to come down and meet up with his school friends.

So my day turned out pretty good. No complaints from this department.

I see that ibkiss has started a thread about 'picky eaters'... The discussion is about children.. I'm so old that I can't remember if my kids were picky eaters or not... :wacko: I don't want to hijack her thread so... Here is a petty vent...

I get so frustrated with friends our age.. We don't have a huge circle of friends we get together with frequently.. Two couples we dine with often.. Our place, their place, out to a restaurant.. Invariably one of them won't eat this, hates that, got sick at that restaurant, was insulted at that place...

Not talking about allergies, foods that medications don't get along with, etc...

What the hell people?? Were you always like this?? Did growing old make you a pain in the butt?? Love you but for goodness sake, its food, don't be so damned negative...

Last edited:
Yesterday, I had a very quiet day. I thought my daughter would send me a small plate of her ham dinner. No such luck. I had a dish of FF and a small burger. No Easter candy for me. I kept taking small naps throughout the day. Ten minutes here, 15 minutes later on. So today I am full of spit and vinegar. I just cleaned the kitchen AGAIN, washed all the floors, and dusted. So much for any excitement in my life.

Addie, so sorry you didn't get a proper Easter dinner. If you had lived closer to Mom and me, I would have invited you and whoever your +1 would have been to come have Easter lunch with us. We had ham, potato salad, deviled eggs, and green beans. We didn't do a dessert because we're both diabetic.

Addie, so sorry you didn't get a proper Easter dinner. If you had lived closer to Mom and me, I would have invited you and whoever your +1 would have been to come have Easter lunch with us. We had ham, potato salad, deviled eggs, and green beans. We didn't do a dessert because we're both diabetic.

Thanks for the offer. All the foods I like. I grew up on simple American foods. And I am not adventurous when it come to eating foreign dishes.

I used to like Chinese food, but they cook about all their foods in a wok with oil. The last time I had some I ended up in the ER and getting prep for surgery. I had to cough and that dislodge the gall bladder stone. So that is definitely on my No, No list. I do miss it though.

I think for today I am going to pig out on a big bowl of broccoli. One of my favorite veggies. Either that or it will be green beans with a squirt of olive oil and some Italian seasonings.

Maybe next year, I can fly out to share a happy holiday with you and Mom. The two of us can compare all our aches and pains. Then we can swap stories about our kids when they were small. While doing that we can watch your face turn red with embarrassment. Thanks again for the offer. You are a very thoughtful person.

I see that ibkiss has started a thread about 'picky eaters'... The discussion is about children.. I'm so old that I can't remember if my kids were picky eaters or not... :wacko: I don't want to hijack her thread so... Here is a petty vent...

I get so frustrated with friends our age.. We don't have a huge circle of friends we get together with frequently.. Two couples we dine with often.. Our place, their place, out to a restaurant.. Invariably one of them won't eat this, hates that, got sick at that restaurant, was insulted at that place...

Not talking about allergies, foods that medications don't get along with, etc...

What the hell people?? Were you always like this?? Did growing old make you a pain in the butt?? Love you but for goodness sake, its food, don't be so damned negative...

Great post!
Some adults behave more rudely that the kids do.That's why I prefer to sit at the kiddie table. They're more fun.:LOL:

Betcha $10.00 at home they eat Stoufers frozen dinners. Alone!:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer. All the foods I like. I grew up on simple American foods. And I am not adventurous when it come to eating foreign dishes.

Maybe next year, I can fly out to share a happy holiday with you and Mom. The two of us can compare all our aches and pains. Then we can swap stories about our kids when they were small. While doing that we can watch your face turn red with embarrassment. Thanks again for the offer. You are a very thoughtful person.

You're very welcome, Addie. I don't do lots of off-the-wall things either. Mom and I may get a small thing of shrimp fried rice every other when we're out paying bill or something like that. More often we hit a subway. Getting together sounds good, but we'll see how everybody's health is closer to the date, and we may have kidlets next Easter too. My DD worked this Easter so she's off next Easter.

Great post!
Some adults behave more rudely that the kids do.That's why I prefer to sit at the kiddie table. They're more fun.:LOL:

Betcha $10.00 at home they eat Stoufers frozen dinners. Alone!:LOL::ROFLMAO:

I love the adults who try to rewrite the whole menu. "Instead of this, can I have that with this? Will it cost as much if I don't get that with it?" My daughter and I often go to the favorite restaurant of this part of Boston for lunch. And so do others of my age. We hear this all the time. It is written in BIG letters right across the top right under the title. In fact, the whole meu is printed on their special paper that says right on the top, "Today's Luncheon Specials". And right underneath are the words, "We are sorry, there are no substitutions for the luncheon special." .

A lot of the specials are taken from the main menu. If you want to make substitutions, then order from the main menu. It will cost you extra.

Yeh, you are right Munky. The kids table is definitely more fun. Every restaurant should have a kids table only. I am short enough to sit at it. And if they want to throw their food, I would let them. Food fights can be fun.

I don't get that myself. I consider myself to be a picky eater and I can always find something to eat on any menu without remaking it over. For instance, if I don't like the veggies they serve, I just ask for extra fries or potato and if that can't be done, I take the meal the way it's served and just don't eat the veggies. I've been a server in a restaurant before and it's amazing to me how people expect the chefs to be their own personal cooks.

So sorry to hear this. Here's hoping that it won't get worse. Take care and be sure to go back asap if there is any other signals.

Darn Easter Rabbit must have stowed some of his floaters with you while he went hopping around. Not much chance but let's hope he comes back and takes'em home with him.

Thanks - I think this is as bad as it will get. Still, it's much better than having my retinas detach.

I have an appointment already scheduled for June - or is it July? I Have to check. Anyway, they might be able to break the floaters up with a laser treatment, but it's a lead cinch bet that my insurance won't pay for that. And I know I can't right now either. *sigh*

I don't get that myself. I consider myself to be a picky eater and I can always find something to eat on any menu without remaking it over. For instance, if I don't like the veggies they serve, I just ask for extra fries or potato and if that can't be done, I take the meal the way it's served and just don't eat the veggies. I've been a server in a restaurant before and it's amazing to me how people expect the chefs to be their own personal cooks.

One of the women who waitresses at the restaurant is a close friend of mine. She told me that she just stands there and lets everyone give their order. With all their requested substitutions. Then when they are done, she quietly tells them "No substitutions." If they start to argue, she tells them to look at the top of the menu. Then she gives them the options of ordering from the more expensive items from the regular menu. They take a quick look at those items, look at the luncheon menu and decide to stick with the luncheon menu. She doesn't argue with them. And she talks in a very low soft voice to them. She told me that they think she is giving them very special attention. After all the SS ladies do not want the whole restaurant to know that they can't afford to eat out.

But the real fun starts when it is time for the check. She is smart enough to write out each order separately. Even though they fail to ask for it at the beginning. They each get their own check. Then comes the tip time. Sometimes they ask what is the amount they should leave. She tells them 15%-20%, but for the luncheon, it is only 10%. Some leave that ten percent, and some a little more. None has never left no tip. These elderly ladies are there around the third of every month without fail. I guess it is their monthly treat to themselves. Their SS checks come on the third of each month. And they go through the same scenario every time.

I guess it doesn't hurt to try and get a bargain. My girlfriend finds them very amusing.

Reading the thread "what is everyone reading now?" brought up a frustrating situation and this petty vent.....

I read on a Kindle... Main reason is that I read 2 to 3 books a week and its just easier with Ebooks..

What frustrates me is that I no longer retain much of what I read.. My short term memory is shot.. I will read a book or an author I really enjoy and I can't tell you, a week later, what book or author it was.. I can remember authors and books I read 20 years ago but, not last week.. I can make a 20 year old dish but have to look at the recipe for anything recent.. Getting old is not for sissy's.. My daughter tells me to make a list for reference.. Good idea but, other than being a bit frustrating, it doesn't really bother me until someone asks me about a book or recipe..

I'm in really good health for the life I've lived but little things like this are a pain... :huh:

Vent over and I probably won't remember I wrote it... :wacko:

Ross

Last edited:
Reading the thread "what is everyone reading now?" brought up a frustrating situation and this petty vent.....

I read on a Kindle... Main reason is that I read 2 to 3 books a week and its just easier with Ebooks..

What frustrates me is that I no longer retain much of what I read.. My short term memory is shot.. I will read a book or an author I really enjoy and I can't tell you, a week later, what book or author it was.. I can remember authors and books I read 20 years ago but, not last week.. I can make a 20 year old dish but have to look at the recipe for anything recent.. Getting old is not for sissy's.. My daughter tells me to make a list for reference.. Good idea but, other than being a bit frustrating, it doesn't really bother me until someone asks me about a book or recipe..

I'm in really good health for the life I've lived but little things like this are a pain... :huh:

Ross

A lot of the meds we take love to play games with our memories.

I'm 55, and when my friends my age and I talk, we catch ourselves talking about this or that pain, or what we can't eat anymore, or some such thing -- pause, and break out laughing at ourselves.

CD

Ross

But...think of all the "New" books you own already...well they will be "New" again. Sorry, I had to throw that in, we have to laugh at our infirmities or cry...I'd rather laugh. I will soon be an inmate resident at my facility...I just hope to be the worst patient, yet.

...Vent over and I probably won't remember I wrote it... :wacko:
Actually, that's not a bad thing. Just think how nice the world our country this forum our own lives would be if we could just vent and then forget it. No harboring grudges, no dredging up old complaints. Nice.

My dear Mom had a good memory, then had an "oops" when she had triple (or was it quad?) by-pass surgery. Just like that, short-term memory loss. Bothered her, bothered us...until she finally was able to remember to ask "have I mentioned this before???" at the start of a subject. Made it easier on all of us. Funny thing was, she never lost track of what she was cooking, even when she would go into the living room to watch TV while something cooked and had to remember to check on it...three rooms back into the house! Amazing how our minds work.

Pfft. If I can't remember how a book ended, it is considered fair game to read again.

I think it is a good idea to put stuff away as soon as one is done using it. That may not be a short term memory thing as much as a long time strategy that things just get put away by themselves. This should go double if it's someone else's stuff. I am looking at a scissors that I pulled out awhile ago (yesterday) and they need to walk back to the drawer I got them from.

Right now neither of us can find her grill/ probe thermometer that hasn't been used since last summer. We accuse each other, somewhat jokingly, of misplacing or storing it in the wrong place. I say the only way to find it is when we buy a new one, then it will magically re-appear.

Pfft. If I can't remember how a book ended, it is considered fair game to read again.

I think it is a good idea to put stuff away as soon as one is done using it. That may not be a short term memory thing as much as a long time strategy that things just get put away by themselves. This should go double if it's someone else's stuff. I am looking at a scissors that I pulled out awhile ago (yesterday) and they need to walk back to the drawer I got them from.

Right now neither of us can find her grill/ probe thermometer that hasn't been used since last summer. We accuse each other, somewhat jokingly, of misplacing or storing it in the wrong place. I say the only way to find it is when we buy a new one, then it will magically re-appear.
You too, eh?

My petty vent? The word "Organic." Come on. Have you ever seen a dozen in-organic eggs or an in-organic head of lettuce? My wool sweater is organic. A tree is organic. You are organic. And every time that word is used, the price goes up $2.00.

Back
Top Bottom