Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree... I've been using that same dispenser for a long time..

Ross

Every month I get all my meds in what are labeled MOTs. Medicines on Time. There are five rows with seven windows in each row. I get each month's supply on the day before the last day of the month. The pharmacy that is associated and owned by Winthrop fills them each month for me. They also are color coded. Yellow are for morning meds, white for noontime, and dark blue for bedtime. There are also other colors for other times of the day. I only take them three times a day. Every six months when I go in for my biannual checkup, we go over all my meds. I report any side effects I may be having. Sometimes if the side effects are more than I can tolerate, I take myself off the medication.

A few years back I was having trouble with my heart racing and waking me out of a sound sleep. My heart doctor put me on Ranexa. I was taking two at a time. It took care of the problem almost over night. Then I started to have a reaction to them. So I cut myself back to one pill at a time. I was still having the same problem, but not as severe. Then one day I had a really severe reaction to the medication while I was at the hairdresser's. Scared the bejesus out of everyone there. I stopped taking it immediately. No more reaction, and no heart problems. The medication had done the job. No more heart racing while I slept. And am still good to this day. My heart doctor approved of my reactions to taking care of the problem myself.

I would never recommend that anyone do what I did. Do not stop taking your prescribed medications. But I looked up the side effects and the recommended steps to take should a patients experience side effects. I have two things going for me when it comes to understanding the medical language. I took Latin is school and I have worked in medical facilities with patients and passing out non narcotic medications. So I knew what I was doing. I read what is meant for the doctors to read, not the patient. "Should the patient report that ......., then you should do the following." And that is what I did. I weaned myself off the medication. To this day, I still have some side effects from the medication. But not as bad as it was at first.

SO has these. I fill them for her every two weeks. Part of that process is to then order refills where needed.

I only take meds twice a day so use the simpler seven day sleeves, one for AM and one for PM. I fill those every other week and reorder as needed.

Pill filling is a Saturday morning ritual alternating between her pills and mine.

I also have four alarms set on her phone to remind her to take her pills. That works sometimes.

I have two little glass green cups from a child's play set. They were popular during the 30/40's. I start out putting my morning meds in one, and my noontime ones in the other. When I take my morning ones, I then put my bedtime ones in the one I just emptied. I take 15 different meds. I used to take more than 25.

Every month I get all my meds in what are labeled MOTs. Medicines on Time. There are five rows with seven windows in each row. I get each month's supply on the day before the last day of the month. The pharmacy that is associated and owned by Winthrop fills them each month for me. They also are color coded. Yellow are for morning meds, white for noontime, and dark blue for bedtime. There are also other colors for other times of the day. I only take them three times a day. Every six months when I go in for my biannual checkup, we go over all my meds. I report any side effects I may be having. Sometimes if the side effects are more than I can tolerate, I take myself off the medication.

Winthrop does all that but they don't give you patient information sheets for each med? That seems strange. I get one every time I get a refill. In fact, I thought it was a federal requirement.

I was on a list of enough meds to kill a horse. I got so sick of taking them out each day, for four different hours of the day. So I sat down and looked up every med I have on my list. There has been some changes in the list, some added, some deleted. Time for me to look all of them up again. I did find out that the statins seem to be the biggest offender when it comes to memory retention. I even went so far as to print out the page for each med. Time to do it again.

That is going to be my project for today.

Anyone who takes a lot of medications each day should get something like this. Lay out all your pills for the upcoming week and you can also see when you're getting low and need a refill. Makes life much easier.
View attachment 26715

Mom and I use ones similar - Mom does meds 4x a day, and each time of day box is a different color. I only do meds 2x a day, and insulin 2x a day.

Pill filling is a Saturday morning ritual alternating between her pills and mine.

I do ours on Saturday nights. The pharmacy where Mom gets her Rx's refilled has a system where you can call at any time and fill Rx's using a system to type in info on the phone. Unfortunately, the clinic I use doesn't have that.

I have two little glass green cups from a child's play set. They were popular during the 30/40's. I start out putting my morning meds in one, and my noontime ones in the other. When I take my morning ones, I then put my bedtime ones in the one I just emptied. I take 15 different meds. I used to take more than 25.

Oh my goodness - I thought Mom and I took a lot of meds. Are they all prescription meds or a combination of prescription and OTC meds?

Got into an argument on FB with someone about an article I shared. Then after several back and forths, I realized she hadn't read the article. :ermm: :wacko: :angry:

Oh my goodness - I thought Mom and I took a lot of meds. Are they all prescription meds or a combination of prescription and OTC meds?

They are all prescriptions. I have a separate sheet showing all the meds that I have in the house that are sent to me from Winthrop. Like Bacitracin, Liquid Antacid, Silverdine, etc. That is the sheet I give to the Paramedics if I have to call for the ambulance. There is no way I can tell them all of what I take. All scripts are listed first, then the non scripts.

I am very fortunate in that anything (and I mean Anything) in medical supplies I need, they give me. From meds, dressings, to OTC products or band aids.

They are all prescriptions. I have a separate sheet showing all the meds that I have in the house that are sent to me from Winthrop. Like Bacitracin, Liquid Antacid, Silverdine, etc. That is the sheet I give to the Paramedics if I have to call for the ambulance. There is no way I can tell them all of what I take. All scripts are listed first, then the non scripts.

I am very fortunate in that anything (and I mean Anything) in medical supplies I need, they give me. From meds, dressings, to OTC products or band aids.

Yes, I have to say that you are very fortunate. I keep a sheet printed out to give to anyone who might need it.

My health plan is Part C of Medicare. It is all inclusive. You have to be 55 (here) to join and is directed to keeping the elderly in their home as long as possible. It is a concept that has been spreading across the country. Our elderly are going to be outnumbering the next generation. And they are all at work. They don't have the time or resources to care for their parents. Plus their parents do not want to be a burden on them either.

This program started here in the Boston area about 20 years ago and cities have been sending their representatives here to study how it works and is financed. First Medicare is billed, if they don't pay all of the cost, the Mass Health (Medicaid) kicks in, and what they don't cover then the Elder Service Plan picks up the rest. They get their money from Medicare and Mass Health.

Some of the side benefits are: they provide all transportation to wherever I need to go. Shopping, all medical appointments, special events like a concert or function for just the elderly, getting to voting polls, (mine is right downstairs in the Community Room) home visits from an RN, an in house aide to assist with getting a patient up and dressed for any of their appointments, (we have one in this building 24/7), they also make sure they have breakfast, sending out your laundry, housekeeping services and so many more than I can remember. I know these services are there if I need them.

But I am still functional and can do my own housework and take care of myself. There are financial limits to belonging. But should you be over their income limit, you pay a minimal fee each month. It is so miniscule, that you don't even miss it. I am fortunate in that I am not in that bracket.

In other words they provide all the services that parents provided for their kids as they were growing up. Only now, it is the parents who need the help.

So when I hear someone spout about how we are now living off the taxpayer, they forget that everyone, including myself, paid into Medicare. When I shop and pay state taxes, then the Mass Health part includes my contribution. I am not exempt to taxes just because of my age.

Not so sure this is actually petty!:mad: We have been getting BA mag since the early '90s. I have seen over the years that the ads have increased and the recipes have decreased in number and quality.:mad: You used to look at the recipe index and it generally was spread over two pages. Now it may or may not cover one page!:mad: We are up for renewal, which is highly unlikely to happen. Another example of something that used to be great and looked forward to, which is now the pits.

Not so sure this is actually petty!:mad: We have been getting BA mag since the early '90s. I have seen over the years that the ads have increased and the recipes have decreased in number and quality.:mad: You used to look at the recipe index and it generally was spread over two pages. Now it may or may not cover one page!:mad: We are up for renewal, which is highly unlikely to happen. Another example of something that used to be great and looked forward to, which is now the pits.

I stopped food magazines some time ago for that very reason. It's all on their websites for free.

Addie, your state sounds like a wonderful place for the older generation to live. I wish all states cared for the older generation like that.

Thank you. Mass is on a building boom. We have a waterfront here in Eastie. They are putting up condos right along the waterfront. But they can't be over a certain height. We won that battle. Then we fought to be able to have access to the waterfront. The builder got so frustrated with us that he gave up and decided to build elsewhere. But out of that we got a waterfront park.

This part of Boston has changed so much since I was a kid. There are so many services for the residents and we have a voice in what changes we want and where they will go. Other than the side walks, I hardly recognize the city I grew up in. One of the major changes was the airport. I live just two blocks from it, but on the service end. When jets came into the airport, you literally couldn't hear yourself think. We fought the airport and now if you live under a flight path, they airport has to install soundproof windows. Ah peace and quiet. I never hear a plane unless I am outside.

Remember, senior citizens are beginning to outnumber the younger generation. And we are the ones who always vote. So our voice is finally being heard.

Last edited:
My wife's Medicare plan (Part C) is also through a private insurer (Kaiser Senior Advantage) and there is that standard monthly Medicare charge (Parts A&B) plus any co-pays for doc's visits, lab work, and meds from Kaiser Permanente. I think her maximum out-of-pocket is around 4 grand a year.

Back
Top Bottom