"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-11-2016, 06:08 AM   #5331
Master Chef

Tomato sauce is far from basic. It takes patience, time know how to use seasoning properly, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Old 10-11-2016, 06:41 AM   #5332
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Drat. The repair guy just called, a replacement freezer door is $527. Guess I'll be going shopping.
Not sure how DYI-able you are, but I found a good parts supply store that has always given us good service and excellent prices when we've had to repair something. Actually, I should say when Craig has had to repair something as he is a very good DYI'er. Not sure if I can post a link for something like that so PM if you are interested.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:53 AM   #5333
Sous Chef

Charlie D, I didnt say an Italian tomato sauce, I said a basic tomato sauce and all you need for a basic tomato sauce according to a few of the 300 + cookbooks I have is tinned tomatoes ( yes fresh tomatoes is only summer time special here) , onion, garlic, fresh basil or dried oregano, salt , tomato paste, sugar and vinegar. It cooks in 1 hour on low heat. This a basic sauce that you can build on, it very basic. It for building on so you can make other dishes or even soup. So yeah isnt as lovely as Italian one but it do if you are starving.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:59 AM   #5334
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Well, yeah, I do that. Then I have more stuff to look through when I check for the good stuff that sometimes accidentally goes to the spam folder.

Besides, it shouldn't be my job to deal with it. There are standards on the internet about this sort of thing. I think verifying email addresses was one of the things mandated in the US anti-spam legislation.
I agree, should not be your job. E-mail them, tell them you've lost your password - when they send you a temporary one, change it and then "unsubscribe".
Old 10-11-2016, 10:00 AM   #5335
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I agree, should not be your job. E-mail them, tell them you've lost your password - when they send you a temporary one, change it and then "unsubscribe".
I seem to remember having told the thing that asks for the password that I had forgotten my password, but then it asked some sort of question, like mother's maiden name or account #.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:20 PM   #5336
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Not sure how DYI-able you are, but I found a good parts supply store that has always given us good service and excellent prices when we've had to repair something. Actually, I should say when Craig has had to repair something as he is a very good DYI'er. Not sure if I can post a link for something like that so PM if you are interested.

Thanks, Med. I'm a big DIYer, the McGuyver of our house, and will continue to monkey around with the dang door. I inspected it further, and the whole plastic interior is cracked around each of the four places where it was attached. Not sure it's salvageable, but I have duct tape and some good drills.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:35 PM   #5337
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks, Med. I'm a big DIYer, the McGuyver of our house, and will continue to monkey around with the dang door. I inspected it further, and the whole plastic interior is cracked around each of the four places where it was attached. Not sure it's salvageable, but I have duct tape and some good drills.
I would have thought fibre glass tape and epoxy.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #5338
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I would have thought fibre glass tape and epoxy.

DH has the patience of a gnat, and the door's too heavy to hold by myself. Fibre glass tape is a very good idea though.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:48 PM   #5339
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
DH has the patience of a gnat, and the door's too heavy to hold by myself. Fibre glass tape is a very good idea though.
I guess you need a way to hold up the door while epoxy cures. Maybe the duct tape would be good enough for that. Might have to do it in two rounds, so you can fibre glass & epoxy in some places and then go back and do the places that had duct tape.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #5340
Master Chef

Quote:
Though epoxy is a great glue for many purposes, depending on the plastic your pull-out drawer is made from, the cement used py plumbers to join PFC pipes may work better. The solvents in that glue partially dissove the plastic into a semi-liquid state. The to pieces of plastic are chemically welded together when the solvents have completely evaporated, creating a nearly unbreakable bond that should be stronger than the original unbroken plastic. Again though, it depends on the plastic used. The glue works with polystyrene, and PVC for sure, and probably other plastics, as they are all similar in a carbon-based molecular structure. The glue is inexpensive, and you can test on a small area. There are two parts, a cleaner, and the adhesive.

Good luck, and if you use the stuff, keep windows open for ventillation.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote