Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Medicare Part C is an alternative to Medicare Parts A&B.

With A&B (hospitals and doctors), the Feds charge you $104 a month (usually deducted from your social security payment) for Parts A&B coverage and you go out and buy a supplement to cover what Medicare doesn't.

With Medicare Part C, The Feds don't charge you any money for Medicare. Instead, you go to an approved private insurer for the same level of coverage as A&B plus a supplement. This option can be cheaper than A&B and a supplement.

You can buy Part D coverage (Drug coverage) with either option.

All this info is available on Medicare.gov.

I guess it's a bit different out here where we are.
My wife's Senior Advantage provider/insurer (Kaiser Permanente) does not charge her a monthly premium but does require her monthly payments to the Feds for A&B.

I guess it's a bit different out here where we are.
My wife's Senior Advantage provider/insurer (Kaiser Permanente) does not charge her a monthly premium but does require her monthly payments to the Feds for A&B.

We had Kaiser in a different locale and were pretty pleased with it..
Kaiser isn't available in our county so we have a quasi HMO company named Aspire we scribe to.. We like it but it costs $95 and Kaiser was/is a no cost HMO... Of course we still pay the Fed fees...

Ross

Petty Rant....

I had hoped I didn't need to play the "frail old man" card but... I cannot find the "New Thread" button... I have searched everywhere and it eludes me.. I sent a message through channels for help but, I don't think the message went through...

Help an old man out... :ROFLMAO:

Ross

OK. Let's see. If you are on the DC app, you will need to go to the regular website in order to post a recipe. Otherwise, go to the main menu, let's say "General Cooking." Hit that. You should be able to post.

Last edited:
OK. Let's see. If you are on the DC app, you will need to go to the regular website in order to post a recipe. Otherwise, go to the main menu, let's say "General Cooking." Hit that. You should be able to post.

Thank you... :)

I did receive a reply from tech support... I should be ok now...

The other forums I go to have the button on the home page... I just get sooooooo confused... ;)

I have to agree with you Addie. Senior citizens ALWAYS vote. In 11/15, our city had local elections. Mom thought she wasn't going to be able to vote because she was in rehab for her hip replacement. Someone from the BOE came out and everyone that wanted to vote she had them fill out a form and she filed them that afternoon.

I have to agree with you Addie. Senior citizens ALWAYS vote. In 11/15, our city had local elections. Mom thought she wasn't going to be able to vote because she was in rehab for her hip replacement. Someone from the BOE came out and everyone that wanted to vote she had them fill out a form and she filed them that afternoon.

You are so right. Even with her brace she wore due to childhood polio, my mother made sure she got across the street to vote.

We have 40 apartments in this building. Some apartments have two people living in them. Our polling place is downstairs in the Community Room. It opens at seven a.m. At 6:55 a.m. you will find the majority of the residents in the TV room waiting for them to let us vote. The rest will come down in the next hour. But at the end of the day, 99% of the residents have cast their vote. Even if there is only one person on the ballot. Our former mayor loved "his senior citizens" as he referred to them. That's why he was mayor for 64 years. He would still be if he hadn't contracted cancer. It is because of him that we have about six buildings that have been rehabbed for seniors to live in, in this part of Boston. Otherwise we would be screwed.

Y...Our former mayor loved "his senior citizens" as he referred to them. That's why he was mayor for 64 years...
Not 64 years, Addie. That would have been quite a feat since he lived to 71 years of age. ;) He was mayor for 20 years after having served in the council the previous ten.

Here is a link to the Wiki page, in case anyone is interested: Thomas Menino

Not 64 years, Addie. That would have been quite a feat since he lived to 71 years of age. ;) He was mayor for 20 years after having served in the council the previous ten.

Here is a link to the Wiki page, in case anyone is interested: Thomas Menino

I keep telling you math is not my strong point. In fact I am pointless and brainless when it comes to math. But I knew there was a six in there somewhere. My math skills are the joke of my whole family and anyone who knows me. Now spelling, well I am the go to in the family for correct spelling.

And thank you for the correction.

You might have read my little story of happiness from my post on the Last thing that made you smile thread. Well, today when I was cleaning off my little work table in the kitchen (AKA, the Dump Spot) I spied the receipt from last night's transaction. I noticed for the first time that the cash received by the cashier was "$10". :huh: $10? But I was sure I saw a $20. Hmm. Told Himself about this, saying that I could have been wrong but I swore it was a $20. When he said "I saw a $20, too"...well, that just sucked a little bit of the joy from last night. :(

I tucked the receipt into my wallet. I'm considering whether or not to bring this to the attention of the store manager. If this cashier short-changed this transaction, no idea what his cash drawer might look like at the end of the night. :glare:

CG, must have made you steam!

I worked for a while as a cashier... we were not allowed to have any pockets on our jackets - and usually when your shift was done you balanced your cash under the eye of the Head Cashier. Of course, back then it was rare for a guy to be a cashier. I can see where now their pants provide plenty of pockets.

What a sad comment on a beautiful gesture.

I would let the Manager know. If this cashier is doing this on a regular basis, who knows how many other customers are being ripped off. And if it was an honest mistake, then it is a lesson the manager can teach the cashier.

Either way, you should get the rest of your change back and hopefully a free meal the next time you are in the area. At least give them a chance to correct an error.

Addie, I wasn't looking for "change back" since I had told the grocery store cashier to use the rest of that gift bill towards the purchase of the next shopper that was coming up to the register as we were leaving. And why should I expect a free meal when my issue was in a grocery store??? :wacko:

CG, must have made you steam!...What a sad comment on a beautiful gesture.
Not so much steamed as disappointed in the actions of the cashier. Sure did take the shine off the "beautiful gesture".

I told Himself that the generous young man might have gone home to his roommate/SO/dog and said to them "I met this sweet old couple at the grocery store tonight...". :LOL:

He might be related to my wife.. When we got together, the deal was I cook, she cleans.. I finally had to ban her from the kitchen because, I'd prep something, turn to do something else and she would wash whatever I used.. I'd turn around and, no knife, no bowl or whatever I'd just used.. She wanted to help... :LOL:

Ross

Same here LOL.

Allergies

Ugh, it's that time of year again. I never had allergies until I got pregnant. You would think that the kids and/or doctor would have cleaned them out at delivery, but no. :glare: Back home in Cleveland it was just grass pollen. Except for a four to six week stretch in late spring, I cruised through the year with no problems.

Flash forward to MA. It seems I have issues from when vegetation starts to bud in early spring until everything is totally killed by a hard freeze. For years I just sniffled and blew my nose. Got bad enough to start with OTC generic stuff, just 1/2 tablet, in the morning. The last two years I've had to add the second 1/2 tablet before bed by mid-summer. Well, just started up with the meds not quite two weeks ago...and I had to start with the second 1/2 tablet last night. Actually, it was in the wee hours of the morning. After trying to go to sleep for at least 1 1/2 hours, needing to sit up and reach for a tissue every time I laid down, I got up for the 1/2 tab. 15 minutes later I was breathing clearly...and sleeping like a baby.

Guess who's going to take that 1/2 tablet when she's getting ready for bed tonight? ;) ;)

I bit the bullet decades ago and took the injection regimen for a number of years to desensitize me to allergens. Now I'm glad I did. Any hay fever type reactions are minimal.

Now there is a replacement therapy of drops under the tongue. Much easier.

I have been very fortunate in that I have never suffered with spring/summer allergies. But I do have problems with keeping the wind from blowing into my ear and creating the grounds for an ear infection. In the winter I wear a hat all the time outside. But in the summer, it does look silly. So I found the solution a couple of years ago. Let my hair grow and hold it back with a head band while covering my ears.

I bit the bullet decades ago and took the injection regimen for a number of years to desensitize me to allergens. Now I'm glad I did. Any hay fever type reactions are minimal...
That doesn't work for everyone, though. My SIL had very bad bronchitis when they lived in OH. When they were moving to FL in October of 1979 she thought she was done with that since she was moving to a warmer climate. Not only did she still get bouts of bronchitis, she then developed allergies to pine pollen, mangrove plants...a number of native plants she had never come in contact with in OH. She went through the shot therapy, got some relief, but still went for a monthly booster. When they moved to MA in 2006...still had allergies and added a few more for good measure. 30+ years after first taking allergy shots she STILL gets a monthly booster, takes an OTC med each morning - and when things kick into high gear she adds another pill at night. All of this is OK'd by her doctor, who pretty much feels you do what you gotta do as long as it doesn't harm.

I don't have it anywhere near bad enough to worry about shots. So far, the most I've ever needed to feel good is two, 1/2 tablet doses a day, taken for less than 1/2 of the calendar year. And only up here in MA. Back home in OH in the summer it's just the half-tablet in the morning and I'm good. And no matter where else we travel (mostly south), I'm not snotty enough to take any! I think I'm allergic to MA. :LOL: For me, it's not as serious of a medical issue as it is just plain annoying. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom