"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #5341
Chef Extraordinaire

There is only one reason I have an account on FB. To be able to view family photos. Unless I receive a notice that there are new pictures, I never go there. And any response I post is short and sweet or just a thumbs up. Folks seem to have forgotten that any pictures you post or write becomes the property of FB and can be sold and used in advertising.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #5342
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Folks seem to have forgotten that any pictures you post or write becomes the property of FB and can be sold and used in advertising.
This is not true. Your intellectual property remains your property. By using the service, you grant Fb a license to use your intellectual property subject to how you have set your privacy and application settings. This ends when you delete your account.

https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms

Old 09-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #5343
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
This is not true. Your intellectual property remains your property. By using the service, you grant Fb a license to use your intellectual property subject to how you have set your privacy and application settings. This ends when you delete your account.

https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms
And most folks don't even read the privacy notice. Specially today's young folks.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #5344
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There is only one reason I have an account on FB. To be able to view family photos. Unless I receive a notice that there are new pictures, I never go there. And any response I post is short and sweet or just a thumbs up. Folks seem to have forgotten that any pictures you post or write becomes the property of FB and can be sold and used in advertising.
I really appreciate Facebook, it's actually brought me closer to a lot of friends and family. I have family that have scattered all over and for the most part we had lost touch, I would get updates on their lives through my mom but timing was never right for us to all be at home in Maine at the same time. Facebook has brought us closer.

With that said, I have a lot of friends hidden because they are just annoying and have no clue how to behave on social media, some I have unfriended, but if it is someone I care about but just don't want to them cluttering up my newsfeed , or I don't want to see constant negativity.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #5345
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
So sorry to hear of all that going wrong joesfolk. Been there. Seems like we just start to get ahead and BAM something else goes. Last thing was the hot water heater .. that was a bummer because we had just dealt with the fridge and the heater. Hope I haven't jinxed myself now !!
I predict that our water heater is next. Part of me just wants to replace it now so that I don't have to deal with an emergency.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #5346
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I predict that our water heater is next. Part of me just wants to replace it now so that I don't have to deal with an emergency.
That's why we rent our water heater. It works out to a bit more than buying and paying for installation. But, they come fairly quickly for emergencies, even on holidays and that's covered by the service plan that is part of the bi-monthly fee.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #5347
Master Chef

Quote:
I think that is a wise approach.

You can shop for a good deal and have it done at your convenience.

The new one will most likely be more energy efficient than the old one!

The time, money and aggravation you save will more than offset any loss on the remaining useful life of the old one.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #5348
Executive Chef

Quote:
You have the right idea. I wish we had done that. We talked about it but put it off .. boy did we pay dearly for that mistake !!

If you can swing it, go for it .. insurance for the future ya know !!
MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #5349
Everymom

GLAAAAH!!!! I just went to load the dishwasher and my LAST intact visions saucepan had something dropped into it and has now broken! Sad sad day!!! I've had that pot for 20+ years dang it all. Replacing pots is wicked expensive and time consuming to find what I want. I'm not a happy girl.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #5350
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
GLAAAAH!!!! I just went to load the dishwasher and my LAST intact visions saucepan had something dropped into it and has now broken! Sad sad day!!! I've had that pot for 20+ years dang it all. Replacing pots is wicked expensive and time consuming to find what I want. I'm not a happy girl.
Alix, just start a thread in the cookware section and you'll get more advice than you can handle.