Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A friend of mine gave me a couple of glass jars and I thought it would be cute to store the baking soda and baking powder in them. So that's what I did. Problem is, now I can't tell which one is which. :doh:

A friend of mine gave me a couple of glass jars and I thought it would be cute to store the baking soda and baking powder in them. So that's what I did. Problem is, now I can't tell which one is which. :doh:

I did the same when I bought the powders at Bulk Barn. I only marked the sku nbr. for the cashier. Of course, by the time I got home...

But the are different in texture too. I luckily enough, had some in the original containers so I could at least compare! :unsure:

Poor you! :flowers:

I think that it is the baking powder that has the corn starch in it. You should be able to tell by that.

baking soda and vinegar will bubble and steam. I'm pretty sure baking powder doesn't.

Baking powder should bubble when you add a bit of plain water to it, baking soda will not. Baking soda will bubble with vinegar. I think baking powder will, too.

So--take a spoonful of one container. Add water. If it bubbles, it is baking powder. If it doesn't bubble at all, it is probably baking soda. (Or old baking powder, but it has to be pretty darned old before it doesn't work.)

Sharpies are a cook's best friend. Work on glass or plastic or plastic bags.

What's worse is I found an etching tool in with all my miniatures. I could have just etched the names on the jars and had no problems. Or I could have used a sharpie, as you say, and just written on masking tape and attached that to the jar.

Live and learn, except I'm so tired of living and living and never seeming to learn anything.

Live and learn, except I'm so tired of living and living and never seeming to learn anything.

I hear yuh, rodentraiser! Loud and clear! My sentiments exactly. I keep saying I will but I keep making the same errors. But :LOL: the alternatives are not an option as far as I'm concerned. :angel:

This is what junk drawers are for. . .
I have junk drawers. These particular items are in the silverware drawer because it's in the peninsula on the side where I prep items to be stored in the fridge, freezer or cupboards, so I don't have to go around to the other side of the kitchen to get them.

I have 3 "snack size" baggies. One with twist ties, one with elastics, and one with the plastic bread closures.

Very handy. Just did this recently and can't believe I never did it before!

Our junk drawer is actually next to our silverware drawer, and it has one the the silverware dividers in it also for pencils, ink pens, and other such things. At the end of the drawer closest to the pull handle is where the zip bag is.

I have been watching an Iris plant getting ready to bloom when I looked at it this morning all the flower buds but one were gone. It looks like a rabbit ate them and alot of the leaves on the stem. I was so disappointed.

Too hot to weed and by the time it cools down, too dark. I can't seem to get moving early in the morning on my days off, tend to sleep until it gets hot.

I have trouble getting around to doing anything the day after I've done something, PF. I hate to admit I just might be getting a wee bit old. :ermm: :ohmy:

JoAnn, I'm sorry you had bunny issues with your iris flowers. I'm lucky - I have intact iris in the front yard while Bun-Bun stays out back mowing down the weeds.

I'm just sitting around thinking of all the work I could have gotten done had I not sat around a good part of the day. Eh, whatever. :LOL:

I guess I should be glad the rabbit left me one flower. They also nibble on certain ones of my hostas. I have learned to put fences around those.

Back
Top Bottom