Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some people are so rude! I was in Walmart, getting ready to get get the last package of Bibb lettuce on the shelf. A teenager reached in front of me and knocked my hand away so he could get it.

I had a duck sitting on a nest for the past month. Now she is just gone. No sign of her no sign of her eggs. They should have hatched. Another duck had a nice nest started. Whole bunch of eggs in it. Its gone too. Every time they get a good pile going they dissappear. I don't know what the heck is going on.

I had a duck sitting on a nest for the past month. Now she is just gone. No sign of her no sign of her eggs. They should have hatched. Another duck had a nice nest started. Whole bunch of eggs in it. Its gone too. Every time they get a good pile going they dissappear. I don't know what the heck is going on.
Well that sucks lemons. Keep us up to date on this mystery.

I hear yuh, Jon! I've lost geese/goslings/eggs - eggs to rats, goslings to racoons/fox and full grown geese to fox and coyotes. Luckily I have not had weasels.

The worst was the half grown goslings, the last surviving two from the year before, were gone in the morning when I went to let them all out. Found 1 (one!) leg and nothing else. Finally figured a fox was squeezing in between the bottom-half door and the top-half. A tight squeeze and how he jumped up and squeezed back with a gosling is beyond me, not just once but twice. Could have been a pair.

:ohmy: That is rude. Sorry to read that that happened to you.

Thank you. I went back about 10 minutes later and was able to get one - and noticed a manager was watching the produce section very closely. Wonder if the rascal did something similar to someone else and they complained to management.

*#!!?%* mosquito

Vicious little vampire, I had one zipping and buzzing around me last night. Tried to kill it when it landed on my arm...gave myself a red mark that lasted about an hour. Then I heard her buzzing around my head - kept making sweeping gestures over my head, trying to send it off in Himself's direction. Nope, still buzzing. Then I see and hear it going past my face, raise my hand quickly to swat it...and plow my thumbnail straight into my lower lip. :ohmy: :cry: Dang, the lip wouldn't stop bleeding. Held a paper towel with ice cubes wrapped inside to it for about 10-15 minutes. The bleeding stopped, but I thought I had given myself frostbite. Today, I look like I got into a fight, what with my swollen lower lip. Anyone say anything to me and I'll have to reply "So, you should have seen the OTHER guy!"

About that other "guy", AKA mosquito. Dang her, she ended up getting two bites out of me. :mad: Pardon my while I go scratch the bumps...

Vicious little vampire, I had one zipping and buzzing around me last night. Tried to kill it when it landed on my arm...gave myself a red mark that lasted about an hour. Then I heard her buzzing around my head - kept making sweeping gestures over my head, trying to send it off in Himself's direction. Nope, still buzzing. Then I see and hear it going past my face, raise my hand quickly to swat it...and plow my thumbnail straight into my lower lip. :ohmy: :cry: Dang, the lip wouldn't stop bleeding. Held a paper towel with ice cubes wrapped inside to it for about 10-15 minutes. The bleeding stopped, but I thought I had given myself frostbite. Today, I look like I got into a fight, what with my swollen lower lip. Anyone say anything to me and I'll have to reply "So, you should have seen the OTHER guy!"

About that other "guy", AKA mosquito. Dang her, she ended up getting two bites out of me. :mad: Pardon my while I go scratch the bumps...

Next time get a dryer sheet and rub your exposed skin with it. Bugs do not like those little sheets. I have a paper giving me a whole long list of what those sheets are good for.

I looked down at my pinky toe this morning. It looks like Frankentoe, like it was sewn back on with bloody stitches. I'm thinking, how the heck did I do that? Figured it out. I rammed my toe into the corner of the chest in front of my chair this morning. Oh, appears that I did the same thing last night. Doesn't hurt, but looks pretty cool.

Went to the freezer today, dug out the bag with pork chops. Was hankering for some devine by brine. Then also thought I would also dig out some chicken of some sort and let defrost while I browsed some recipes for Sat.

Got some out of the main bag, closed it up shut the door, and looked around for my chop... no where to be seen... looked at the dog and thought, hmmm... walked around but then thought, there was no way she had time to scarf it up. She didn't leave the area, just lying there waiting for me to do... whatever!

I was starting to get rather upset. Opened the freezer and started poking around on the different shelves (it's an upright)... nope... nada.. so went back to the bag of chops and... there it was!

So why oh why, on this little green earth, did I put that chop back in there!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!

still buzzing. Then I see and hear it going past my face, raise my hand quickly to swat it...and plow my thumbnail straight into my lower lip. :ohmy: :cry: Dang, the lip wouldn't stop bleeding. Held a paper towel with ice cubes wrapped inside to it for about 10-15 minutes. The bleeding stopped, but I thought I had given myself frostbite. Today, I look like I got into a fight, what with my swollen lower lip. Anyone say anything to me and I'll have to reply "So, you should have seen the OTHER guy!"

Oh no! Hope your lip looks better this morning. At least you didn't have to have stitches in your lip - I hope.

Could the ducks have gone because the eggs have been stolen? Could the thief be rats? They have been known to take whole eggs away (my grandmother was a farmer's daughter and not given to telling me "porkies")

Last edited:
It's 3:00 AM in the morning. The wired smoke detector in the hall starts beeping LOUD every 30 seconds. The hard wired smoke detector demands a 9v battery as back up. You don't have a 9 volt battery to shut it up. You almost want to tear the smoke detector off the ceiling. You have to make a trip to the store to buy a 9V battery to stop the beeping.

It's meant to saves lives, no doubt. 3:00 AM in the morning every 30 seconds. BEEP! No 9V battery in the house!

Last edited:
Could the ducks have gone because the eggs have been stolen? Could the thief be rats? They have been known to take whole eggs away (my grandmother was a farmer's daughter and not given to telling me "porkies")
I don't think so. They are Just gone. I moved them into a new coop with a decent fence. One of the hens I have left already made a nest. Maybe I will get something yet.

It's 3:00 AM in the morning. The wired smoke detector in the hall starts beeping LOUD every 30 seconds. The hard wired smoke detector demands a 9v battery as back up. You don't have a 9 volt battery to shut it up. You almost want to tear the smoke detector off the ceiling. You have to make a trip to the store to buy a 9V battery to stop the beeping.

It's meant to saves lives, no doubt. 3:00 AM in the morning every 30 seconds. BEEP! No 9V battery in the house!
What a pain, Caslon. We have smoke detectors that have battery back-up, but to change the battery Himself has to detach the unit from the ceiling. It connects with a bayonet mounting to the ceiling, and when he drops it down to change the battery he also has access to the clip that connects the wires into the electrical wiring. All he has to do is squeeze on the clip and pull gently and *tada* the smoke detector is in his hand and mercifully silenced.

Bet you keep a back-up 9V battery or two in the house from now on...

What's weird /stupid about my wired detector is you have to put the backup 9V battery facing backwards and hope it connects up right when you close the battery drawer shut. There's not even an indicator on the battery drawer showing you the correct polarity. :ermm:

We have a dual detector in our apartments. Which think is a waste of money. Carbon dioxide does not rise, it settles down while the smoke rises. The one we have has been telling us to press the reset button. Every five days this happens. Pirate has to climb the kitchen stool and press the dang thing. Our manager has been attending company classes. When she comes back I am demanding a new one. We even put in a new battery. This detector has been in since I moved here more than ten years. This brand is supposed to be replaced every five years. This happens when you go for the lowest bidder. You get what you ask for.

Caslon, I finally threw the breaker off - mine would chirp when there was high humidity then sound off when it was raining, if I boiled water, made toast, ... plus being hardwired it would sound all the others in the house at the same time.

I'll never allow another hardwired again.

Our landlord just installed new alarms.. The batteries are good for 10 years... Saves me from changing them yearly plus, he pays for them.. The units cost $150 each but, he says that they are well worth it as, they are tied into his phone and he is alerted if/when one goes off..

Ross

Back
Top Bottom