"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #531
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm making a sponge cake for the trifle. Ack! I got six eggs separated properly. The seventh one, somehow there was some yoke in the white and I didn't notice until I dumped it in with the other egg whites. I tried to fish out the yoke, but it just spread around. I guess we're having an omelette for supper.
The next time this happens (andI hope it never does) use the shell to get out the small piece of yolk. It will be drawn to the shell. I have no idea why, it just works for me.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #532
Executive Chef

wait up, wait---you guys lost me back there a ways, with all of your talk about multiple egg bowls!! as taxy has just demonstrated so effectively, it is every bit as easy to mix one's egg yolks with one's egg whites using 3 bowls instead of just two.
btw, why is it that the tiniest smidgen of a single egg yolk is able ruin a half dozen egg whites?

Old 12-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #533
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
wait up, wait---you guys lost me back there a ways, with all of your talk about multiple egg bowls!! as taxy has just demonstrated so effectively, it is every bit as easy to mix one's egg yolks with one's egg whites using 3 bowls instead of just two.
btw, why is it that the tiniest smidgen of a single egg yolk is able ruin a half dozen egg whites?
Because fat (in the yolk) is the enemy of good stiff peaks in whipping egg whites. The best you will get is soft peaks that keep falling over and collapsing. Yolks have fat in them. (As in Cholesterol) When you whip egg whites, they tell you to have really clean bowls. Do not use plastic bowls. There is hidden grease in plastic. But had she used the egg shell to get out the yolk, even if she had to take a bit of the white, it would have worked for her.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #534
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The next time this happens (andI hope it never does) use the shell to get out the small piece of yolk. It will be drawn to the shell. I have no idea why, it just works for me.
I did use the egg shell, but it didn't work.

I have had good luck fishing out pieces of egg shell with the egg shell.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #535
Executive Chef

I was going to suggest the egg shell trick as well. It also works for lifting out any stray shell fragments that might find their way into your dish or frying pan.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #536
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sounds like the yolk got all goobered into the mix, and no amount of egg shell fishing would have saved the whites. Bummer. But the omelet sounds amazing!
Old 12-21-2012, 01:44 AM   #537
Master Chef

My petty vent:

Though I like snow, we don't need to get it all at once. A couple inches a day, maybe up to 6, would be good. I'd get my daily exercise shoveling out the driveway, and walkway. I'd go for that.

But Old Ma Nature doesn't do it like that. With this storm that's passing through, in a two day period, we were supposed to get up to 12 inches. Most reports said 10. In town, that's about what they got. But at my house, I literally have three feet of snow, all of it falling today. When I got home, thankfully, the plow hadn't come by yet. But as I said, the snow was deep, at least for my Malibu it was deep. But I was able to push through the quarter mile of snow ok. Then, I tried to turn into my driveway.

I got in, but just barely. I promptly got stuck. Now living in this country for the majority of my life I can rock a car with the best of them, and usually get myself out without having to rely on shoveling my way out. But I was pushing snow like a plow, and got high-centered besides. I got my DW and self into the house, with the stuff we bought. I made a quick stir-fry, ate, and headed outside to shovel. It took me an hour to shovel my walkway to the car. I then had to shovel the snow from around the car, and a car-length in front of it. I then had to dig out the tires, you know, remove the snow from in front and behind them, as well as to the sides. I then moved the car our of the plow's reach, and continued shoveling for another hour, for a total of three hours of shoveling. And I'm only about half done. My snowbanks are now as tall as I am.

My neighbor, directly across the street, has a daughter who got stuck pulling off of the main road and into the subdivision. He went out to get her unstuck, and headed home. They got the car moving, and got stuck again in his driveway. I offered to help, but he declined as he had a snowblower at his disposal. He used it and had his driveway cleared in about 10 minutes. Another ten minutes with a shovel and he had the care unstuck.

I purposely don't own a snowblower as I use the shoveling as exercise. But tonight, i might have succumbed had I the cash. I got my exercise tonight! Started at 10:00 p.m.and gave in for the night at 1:00 p.m.

I think I'm ready for bed.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:14 AM   #538
Chef Extraordinaire

That's a lot of snow and a lot of shovelling, Chief. I don't envy you.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #539
Executive Chef

Taxlady.....do you ever sleep? How are the party preps coming along?
Old 12-21-2012, 02:32 AM   #540
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Taxlady.....do you ever sleep? How are the party preps coming along?
I usually sleep, but I won't get much, if any, tonight. Prep seems to be coming along. It's the cleaning I dread.

If, by some miracle, I have time tomorrow, I have four Ikea chairs to assemble. I didn't procrastinate on the chairs. They were out of stock and I only got the last four Thursday morning.