"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2016, 02:05 PM   #5391
Head Chef

That was my litany...
Change gear... change gear... change gear... change gear... change gear...

ahhh poop,,,, get off and walk! but that was actually harder to do! Go figure!

Old 10-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #5392
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...Get a can of 40 weight auto oil and run it down the tracks...
Addie, Himself maintains our household equipment. This ain't no "WD-40" job. He's done all he can do, but he will not touch tightening the springs. Doesn't have the tools, and likes living. It's the one part of garage door maintenance that needs a pro.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #5393
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Addie, Himself maintains our household equipment. This ain't no "WD-40" job. He's done all he can do, but he will not touch tightening the springs. Doesn't have the tools, and likes living. It's the one part of garage door maintenance that needs a pro.
CG, did you read the whole post? I stated that his complaint was that it made a sqeaky noise when it when up and down. And I stated that he needed 40 weight auto oil. Not WD-40. I am well aware of how dangerous the springs can be. I never stated that he had a spring problem. When I was in the office alone, customers often came in to get springs. They all are colored. White, blue, green and finally red, according to size. Those springs are only for single car doors. Anything above those colors, I would not sell, for the very reason you stated. It needs a pro. It needs specials tools. This company services all the doors at the produce center and Logan Airport along with other companies that have extremely large overhead doors. Those doors require two men to work on them.

BTW, I don't ever recall seeing a can of WD-40 in or on the premises of that company. I know the differences between the two. But they do have a 100 gallon drum of auto oil for the sole purpose of oiling the tracks.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:30 PM   #5394
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
CG, did you read the whole post? I stated that his complaint was that it made a sqeaky noise when it when up and down. And I stated that he needed 40 weight auto oil. Not WD-40. I am well aware of how dangerous the springs can be. I never stated that he had a spring problem...
So in other words, your post wasn't relevant to CG's comment. Right?
Old 10-19-2016, 09:11 PM   #5395
Master Chef

Quote:
CG, did you read the whole post?...
Of course I read the entire post, Addie. Twice. I was trying to figure out what your crying customer and squeaking door had to do with my post about Himself messing up my kitchen and needing to be up early. I always read full posts AND all of the posts within a thread I'm participating in.

Himself was surprised that you would tell that man to use auto oil since it would drip when the weather got around 50 degrees. We've owned a home for 39 years this week and he has always used WD-40 white lithium grease. He's a smart guy and knows what he can do and what he can't, and what tools to use for the jobs he can do. I think I'll stick with Himself's ideas.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:18 PM   #5396
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Well, the ride coming home is grueling as it is mostly all up hill.

Here's one photo from one of our "Beer Ride"....You can clearly see what beer does to some of us... I'm one of them.

Hm. I think you're all pretty cute, especially the guy in orange on the end!

We dirty old ladies like our pics!
Old 10-19-2016, 10:25 PM   #5397
Master Chef

Agreed, Dawg!
Old 10-19-2016, 10:36 PM   #5398
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Of course I read the entire post, Addie. Twice. I was trying to figure out what your crying customer and squeaking door had to do with my post about Himself messing up my kitchen and needing to be up early. I always read full posts AND all of the posts within a thread I'm participating in.

Himself was surprised that you would tell that man to use auto oil since it would drip when the weather got around 50 degrees. We've owned a home for 39 years this week and he has always used WD-40 white lithium grease. He's a smart guy and knows what he can do and what he can't, and what tools to use for the jobs he can do. I think I'll stick with Himself's ideas.
CG, I was a little confused by Addie's response too, and to be honest I cannot imagine using motor oil. Since there have been garage doors and automatic openers, there have been much better alternatives.

I've been using '3-In-One' spray for mine, but will check out the lithium grease spray that Himself uses when I eventually run out of what I've got - three full cans still in the garage. LOL. I think they're both made by WD-40 anywho, and in my mind that company ranks right up there with duct tape.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/3-IN-ONE-11...ricant/3348342
Old 10-19-2016, 10:56 PM   #5399
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

We had the door guy install an automatic door opener for DH's garage door side a couple weeks ago. He noticed my spring on my side had sprung (it had been sounding funny) and fixed it for me. Don't think duct tape or WD 40 or any kind of oil would have done much good had I done it myself, and he already had all the equipment. Nicest guy.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:31 AM   #5400
Chef Extraordinaire

My screw drive (verses chain drive) GDO always starts squeaking when the weathers gets cold.
I usually use what I have on hand at that moment to lubricate and quiet down the long drive shaft. I've used WD-40 spray, automotive bearing grease, lithium bicycle grease, bicycle chain oil, motor oil, sewing machine oil, and maybe some other types of lubricants over the years and they've all worked, some better than others.