Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, Craig....since you took such happy pleasure lumping them all into one category that fits your story, if you ever have need for someone to put out a fire (heaven forbid) maybe you should call one of those smart guys who refill the breathing stations instead of a stupid, idiot firefighter. :rolleyes:

Plus 1..

Ross

My first thought was "why aren't these firefighters being properly trained and tested on the equipment they depend on?" I can readily understand Craig's frustration. After all it was his day off. I have three First Responders in my family. All three of them are only human and often complain about the stupidity of those in other jobs of saving lives.

Vent away Craig, vent away. We are all here to listen to you.

I have done training on these systems, going back several days in a row(3 total) to train each shift. Each day they brought people from other stations, that don't have these system, but come to that location to fill bottles. I was totally shocked the first time I did it. There were anywhere from 4 to 10 fire fighters at each session. Maybe 1 or 2 actually paying attention and asking me questions. The rest were out of ear shot, shooting the breeze. The shift Lt. didn't seem to be bothered by that. Just a little more truth and reality about those that some "Glorify".:rolleyes:

I have done training on these systems, going back several days in a row(3 total) to train each shift. Each day they brought people from other stations, that don't have these system, but come to that location to fill bottles. I was totally shocked the first time I did it. There were anywhere from 4 to 10 fire fighters at each session. Maybe 1 or 2 actually paying attention and asking me questions. The rest were out of ear shot, shooting the breeze. The shift Lt. didn't seem to be bothered by that. Just a little more truth and reality about those that some "Glorify".:rolleyes:

Same with the medical field, some people are cruddy and don't care and then you have the ones who really try.

Well, Craig....since you took such happy pleasure lumping them all into one category that fits your story, if you ever have need for someone to put out a fire (heaven forbid) maybe you should call one of those smart guys who refill the breathing stations instead of a stupid, idiot firefighter. :rolleyes:

No, that was a direct quote from a Battalion Chief!:rolleyes: Some of you folks need a good dose of reality. BTW, they know that part of the job quite well. They constantly train on that part of the job.

Last edited:
Firefighters are only human. A captain I knew decided not to go on strike when the rest of his crew did. I remember him telling us about having an emergency and putting his boots on, only to find the striking firefighters had filled the boots with soft tomatoes.

There's good firefighters and bad ones, smart ones and dumb ones. I'll say it right now, it's not a job I could do. I remember one firefighter's wife telling me how her husband tried to give mouth to mouth to someone who had stopped breathing. The person started gagging and throwing up, while the firefighter kept spitting out the vomit and went back to mouth to mouth until the victim was breathing steadily again. That's a dedication to a person and a job I will never have.

No, that was a direct quote from a Battalion Chief!:rolleyes: Some of you folks need a good dose of reality. BTW, they know that part of the job quite well. They constantly train on that part of the job.

Seeing my son-in-law come home from several days in a row of fighting fires in 110 degree heat hungry, sweaty, sooty, and dog tired, is all the reality I need. I'm done with this subject.

... There were anywhere from 4 to 10 fire fighters at each session. Maybe 1 or 2 actually paying attention and asking me questions. The rest were out of ear shot, shooting the breeze...
Craig, those people are in ALL industries, ALL organizations, ALL clubs and classrooms and ALL groups of people gathered together for a common purpose. It just so happens that in this case, it involved a fire fighter. I think what comes across is that you hate fire fighters. I'm pretty sure that's not the case. ;)

...There's good firefighters and bad ones, smart ones and dumb ones...
The same can be said for many groups. Bad doctors, bad nurses, bad teachers, bad parents...sadly, the docs, nurses, et al like that seem to tarnish the rest of them that are good and competent.

Exactly. All you people who posted negative, I dare you to put yourself in his place. Operator error happens on average at least once a week. That means he gets pulled off his route for the month and has to drive sometimes for HOURS because somebody either is:

A. Too dumb to remember how to do part of his JOB, so he blames the tech.
B. Too arrogant to pay attention and/or remember training to do part of their JOB, so they blame the tech.
C. Just don't want to be bothered doing grunt work, i.e. part of their JOB, so he blames the tech.

Tell me, how would you feel in his place?

Let's also remember that the comment about "remember you are dealing with firemen" came from a BATTALION CHIEF.

Last edited:
A. how to do part of his JOB, so he blames the tech.
B. Too ... remember training to do their JOB, so they blame the tech.
C. Just don't want to be bothered doing grunt work, i.e. their JOB, so he blames the tech.

Let's also remember that the comment about "remember you are dealing with fireman" came from a BATTALION CHIEF.

medtran well said, but I think you missed the emphasis on "his", "their" and "their".

OK guys... lighten up - it's all in the eye of the beholder! You are all, each and every one of you, both the pros and the cons, correct.

, I don't think, in my opinion Craig meant all firefighters but I may have read it wrong, I just think some firefighters are shitty, some nurses are shitty, some therapists are shitty, some chefs are shitty! Some professionals are shittybut not everyone!

Craig, I would rather you come to this forum to vent, than to take it out on your family and those that are in the room standing right next to you. The fact that it was firemen, isn't important. What is, is that you needed a place to vent. And that is what this thread is all about.

There are some folks in this world we live in, that just have to find fault with everything and everyone they come in contact with. They live in a perfect world and if anyone should stray from their idea of that perfection, they are so ready to attack. Evidently you don't fit into their world of perfection. I personally hope I never become so perfect. Because the day I do, then I stop learning.

Craig, you did your job. Above and beyond. When those firemen are looking for a promotion and go to take the test, remember, they are not going to be smart enough to pass it. They were too busy laughing or just not paying attention. And their chief knows it.

Back
Top Bottom