Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Every clothes maker for women's clothing have their own idea of what size 10 is. From that size, they determine what all the rest of their sizes are. I had a landlord that worked for Pricilla Wedding Gowns here in Boston as a sticher. They were a BIG name in wedding gowns until the designer died and they closed down. She is the one who told me about determining sizes. We had two White House weddings and both brides wore a Pricilla Gown.

Most models are a size 10. Not every model could work for every designer. What is a size 10 for one designer is a size 6 for another. And you expect to win when you go clothes shopping????

If you are talking about runway models, I'm pretty sure hardly any are a size 10. I think anything above 10 or 12 is considered plus size any more in the designer world. I doubt even most print models for regular clothes are a size 10 anymore. Maybe a long, long time ago, but ever since Twiggy, nope.

If you are talking about runway models, I'm pretty sure hardly any are a size 10. I think anything above 10 or 12 is considered plus size any more in the designer world. I doubt even most print models for regular clothes are a size 10 anymore. Maybe a long, long time ago, but ever since Twiggy, nope.

No, I am talking about "off the rack" clothing. Not Christain Dior, Kors, etc. Not Big Name Designer clothes. What the average housewife would look for and buy. But even the "off the rack" designers have their own idea of what size 10 is. Then if they should get lucky enough to go to work for a big name outfit, they learn real quick what size 0 is and who is going to be buying it. Also, for the big name outfits, all clothing is made to order for the buyer. Not the racks.

No, I am talking about "off the rack" clothing. Not Christain Dior, Kors, etc. Not Big Name Designer clothes. What the average housewife would look for and buy. But even the "off the rack" designers have their own idea of what size 10 is. Then if they should get lucky enough to go to work for a big name outfit, they learn real quick what size 0 is and who is going to be buying it. Also, for the big name outfits, all clothing is made to order for the buyer. Not the racks.
You said:

Most models are a size 10. Not every model could work for every designer. What is a size 10 for one designer is a size 6 for another.

As medtran said, most models are not a size 10. I think your information is decades out of date, as we've often seen.

I am a seamstress, what the problem is with HM most of there clothes are not made to be larger, but just the same pattern made bigger. So instead of the normal measurement of a back, they take that and make it longer, when fat people are wider not taller.

Most models are 6 and size 10 is the average for plus size model, most humans are around 10.

They are banns in for extremely underweight models, you must be at a healthy weight with muscles and fat.

I do have few model friends in my past.

And oh there used to be standardized sizing chart, used by all but that is gone. Now they pondering to do one here that covers EU.

Well you guys sure took my vent sideways in a New York minute. :ermm: :glare: Did I say anything about sizing? Don't think so. No, I hate clothes shopping because once I'm dressed for the day, that should be it. I know which size shirt to pull off the rack. I try it on to make sure the color goes good with my complexion and that the cut looks good on me. I know which manufacturer makes jeans that fit my bottom nicely, so I take only that brand into the changing room...where I have to change out of the clothes I put on and try on all the others to make sure I like the way they look on me. It's the mechanics of shopping - and the sticker shock at the register - that make it an ordeal for me. And makeup. I gotta put makeup on so I don't scare other shoppers! :LOL:

I've been buying my own clothes since I left my mother's side. Some would say that was a mistake. Years of buying suits, shirts and ties (that occasionally matched), etc. Then casual clothing was easy. Whatever you could wear with jeans, khakis or shorts was OK with me.

I hate clothes buying so much I'll wear slacks with holes in them and the butt worn out before I go buy any more.

Hey, Roadfix, I don't suppose your wife would go out and buy my clothes, too, would she? I'd pay her.:LOL:

Every time I am in Wal-mart I hit the clearance racks. If I'm looking for something specific I go to Goodwill first. I hate clothes shopping, too!

I join the ranks here of hating to clothes shop... Most of my clothes are either thread bare, stained on the front (even the brand new ones within a day), just plain holey, plus I have some that so old... 30 years plus, but I love them - they're comfy and they still fit!

Once I was picking up one of my daughters in the parking lot of a shopping centre. She saw me at a distance and thought 'Wow, I was right in style with the deliberately torn clothes' but then when she got closer she did the 'walk on by, I don't know you.' and out of the side of her mouth she said, "I'll just keep on walking, pick me up in the next aisle and don't get out of the car" - all this just because my shirt was really tattered and it was obvious close up.

Gimme a break! I didn't know I was going to have to get out of the car to wave at her to find me! LOL. Aw, I just like to keep them on their toes. But she's a whiz at finding the right thing on the $5 dollar rack at Walmart and Joe Fresh!

She's also the one who, while we were shopping in Walmart, hollered from 5 aisle's away "PUT THAT DOWN" when she saw me holding a whole Beef Tenderloin for $90.

Oh my clothes are mended, cared for, I refuse to look "poor", I am that but I try to keep my self neat and tidy.
I am so happy that make up isnt a must in Sweden, we are used to bare faces so they do not look out of place.

I know which brand hold my size of jeans and trousers, but guess what, that isnt always true, the black slacks, which I bought before, is now so narrow at the feet I cant my foot in, it is about inch smaller. Also because something fit in one colour it might not be true for any other colour. I bought a pine coloured bra, tried it one, grab the black same size and cup and same model and it was 1 inch shorter around the chest. Black clothes are often smaller then coloured, why I do not know.

I only dress up for 2 occasions: weddings and funerals.
I've been self-employed most my life and I've only worn jeans, shorts, tees, and tank tops. I still look like a kid in shorts, tank top, and flip flops. That's what they tell me.

Good grief, am I the only one who buys clothes online? I detest store shopping but refuse to wear anything tattered. There are brands of pants and tops that fit me well, and they're so easy to order online.

Kayelle, that is what I most often do, but it hard because as soon you find a sort of good pair of jeans, they cost a fortune. Finding jeans or trouser in my size and I am 22- 24 will set me back 40- 60 dollar normally.

My scale just died... I cant make my cake with out it.... Oh well 3 cakes made.. I guess the fourth will not happen

Kayelle, I know several people who buy clothes on line but they are all "petites'.

I have several different sizes on my body. Can't be bothered to purchase and find out it is - too big up here - too small down there - too tight around that - too whatever else you can think of.

Living alone and on a farm I don't really care what I wear, it will probably get torn or stained anyhow. Plus I don't see anyone for days at a time. I do have clothes that I can wear to weddings and funerals - believe it or not I'm very conscious of my styling. Takes me forever to choose just the right accessories to match the occasion, the clothes, the time of year, the time of day. But once on and out the door - never give it a second thought.
Grocery shopping, etc. Yes, of course I wear clean clothes, might be worn a little bit but not ragged.

LOL - come to think of it - I often change clothes about 3 times a day! :LOL:

Good grief, am I the only one who buys clothes online? I detest store shopping but refuse to wear anything tattered. There are brands of pants and tops that fit me well, and they're so easy to order online.
Apparently. I've tried it a couple times but it didn't work out for me. Since I gained and lost a significant amount of weight several years ago, due to medical complications, I typically shop at thrift stores or at TJ Maxx. The Kroger Marketplace where we do most of our food shopping also has pretty good deals on clothes, so I can do that while I'm food shopping. Works for me [emoji2]

I buy online and also shop for mine and Craig's clothes. I've got to get some new pants soon and I'm dreading that. I can buy tops without trying on. Pants, not so much.

This past week I had to get dressed to go somewhere. So I pull out my favorite slacks that my daughter bought me a year or so ago. I started to notice last week that my body was changing due to all the weight I lost. I have absolutely no backside left. It is so flat. Now the slacks look really baggy on me. Oh well, I wore them anyway. So then I get out a top. It has a scoop neckline. But not too low. I put it on and it was falling off my shoulders and the front was showing the top half of my bra. That went into the bag for the Yellow Box up the street. Today I pulled down the three shoe boxes on the closet shelf. One pair has never been worn outside. They are "go to a wedding" type shoe. I walked right out of them. Into the bag they went also. All three pairs. I hated giving up the black pair. They cost me more than $100 and I love them. Only wore them once.

I hated giving up that top. I have a diamond necklace in a broken heart shape with a diamond tear drop hanging on the bottom. It fit perfectly into the scoop on the top. Every time I leave the house, I wear it for my daughter. It is like having her with me wherever I go. Now I will have to find a top with the same neckline so the heart hangs in just the right spot.

I know your body changes when you lose weight. But I thought I was past that about six months ago.

I order all my unmentionabls on line. But for all other clothes, I always have to go into a store and try everything on. Not my favorite thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom