Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was trucking long haul I had to bring a load in from Los Angeles to Boston. I must have had to go through 4 round a bouts. This poor ole farm boy never seen a traffic circle before. I was so lost.

https://youtu.be/qDxVJ471hyg

They built one of their first traffic circles here a couple of years ago. Then they had to tear it apart and redo it because it was on a main road to get to all the local businesses and the circle was so tight, large trucks with trailers couldn't get around it.:ROFLMAO: Our tax dollars at work.

And you should see Malfunction Junction!

I hear ya, RF. I'm mortgage free too, and can't really complain too much when compared to other areas. The property taxes down there in L.A. County are MUCH higher than here in Kern County. :ohmy: I cringe when my daughter in Valencia mentions her property tax bill.

My brother moved back out here to LA a couple of years ago from Long Island and was telling me he was paying over 2x in prop tax over there for a similarly sized lot and house. That was like a cost of a brand new SUV or something...... That’s insane. I told him the mob must be running that county. :LOL:

Last edited:
When I was trucking long haul I had to bring a load in from Los Angeles to Boston. I must have had to go through 4 round a bouts. This poor ole farm boy never seen a traffic circle before. I was so lost.

Jon my heart go out to you. For the most part, when a Mass. driver sees an out of state plate approaching a rotary (round about) we pretty much let them have the right of way. Then we sit in our vehicles and laugh at them trying to figure it all out. But we do understand.

The first time we encountered a traffic circle, we were driving in Ireland. It was hard enough for DH driving on the other side of the road, and sitting on the other side of the car [emoji38] Of course, we went the wrong way around the circle at first. The Irish are very friendly and appreciate their tourists, though, so they just smiled with understanding at us ❤️?

Last edited:
Okay, I need to vent!

Earlier this week, DH and I went down to Southern Arizona to see some of our doctors. There's a very inexpensive motel there that we've been staying at for, what, since last May when we moved up here to "the gateway to The Grand Canyon".
It's not the worst, and in the same token not the best either and it's CHEAP!

Well!
As we drove home after two nights there, I started to feel some pretty wicked itching on my back.
By the time we got home I had these welts on my arms, back and a few on my lower legs.
DH insisted that I contact my doc and let her know that the flu shot that I had at her office had an adverse reaction.

HMMM

I thought more about what I was looking at, and ya know, I've had this before when we stayed another cheap motel in North Carolina some time back. We didn't have a GP at the time so I went to the CVS to check it out and they said dermatitis but the Dermatologist said more like ....

BED BUGS!!
screaming yikes.jpg

Needless to say, we're NOT going to stay at this place in S.AZ again!

Okay, I need to vent!

Earlier this week, DH and I went down to Southern Arizona to see some of our doctors. There's a very inexpensive motel there that we've been staying at for, what, since last May when we moved up here to "the gateway to The Grand Canyon".
It's not the worst, and in the same token not the best either and it's CHEAP!

Well!
As we drove home after two nights there, I started to feel some pretty wicked itching on my back.
By the time we got home I had these welts on my arms, back and a few on my lower legs.
DH insisted that I contact my doc and let her know that the flu shot that I had at her office had an adverse reaction.

HMMM

I thought more about what I was looking at, and ya know, I've had this before when we stayed another cheap motel in North Carolina some time back. We didn't have a GP at the time so I went to the CVS to check it out and they said dermatitis but the Dermatologist said more like ....

BED BUGS!!
View attachment 28274

Needless to say, we're NOT going to stay at this place in S.AZ again!

Welcome to the club. I live in subsidized housing where we've had to spray for bedbugs at least once every year.

It's one thing to spray the rooms, but you have to spray all along baseboards and into electrical outlets and it's worse if you have a lot of books and magazines. These suckers can get in between the pages and also into electronics that can't be sprayed. It's a nightmare and I can sure sympathize with you on this.

This is a warning to everyone no matter what kind of motel or hotel you stay at: before you bring in your luggage, ALWAYS check for bedbugs first! Check EVERYTHING you buy or bring home from Goodwill or an antiques shop, flea market or second hand shop, eBay, Etsy, or Craig's List, especially clothing. Flip through the pages of your library books before you bring them into the house as well.

Also, if on a road trip, check the seams and around the buttons if tufted of the mattress before you put your suitcase on it. A favorite hiding place for them.

I'm looking at property to buy now and some nice lots are only taxed at $150/year. I cringe when I see that, because it sounds so good and I know as soon as a house goes on the land, that amount will shoot up to $750/year or more. Probably more.

I'd love to pay $750 a year. Mine are $4,000 this year, up from $3,600 last year. I can deduct that from my Federal Taxes now, but congress is debating getting rid of that deduction.

CD

I love roundabouts/traffic circles. Once you get the hang of them, they really work great. I picked up a rental car in downtown London once. There were roundabouts everywhere there. Oh, and the rental car had a manual gearbox. That was my first time shifting with my left hand. Also not too bad, once I got used to it. Scared the daylights out of my wife. Sitting on the left side of a car with no steering wheel in front of you is much worse than driving a car from the right side - especially on narrow old European roads. She was working both the invisible brakes and the invisible steering wheel. :LOL:

CD

I love roundabouts/traffic circles. Once you get the hang of them, they really work great. I picked up a rental car in downtown London once. There were roundabouts everywhere there. Oh, and the rental car had a manual gearbox. That was my first time shifting with my left hand. Also not too bad, once I got used to it. Scared the daylights out of my wife. Sitting on the left side of a car with no steering wheel in front of you is much worse than driving a car from the right side - especially on narrow old European roads. She was working both the invisible brakes and the invisible steering wheel. :LOL:

CD

Here in NJ we used to have LOTS of traffic circles. The ones on the highway were the worst because you had to merge into the fast lane and nobody would slow to let you in. You just had to gun it which was very unnerving. Now most if not all Highway circles are gone. There are still some on side roads.

I'd love to pay $750 a year. Mine are $4,000 this year, up from $3,600 last year. I can deduct that from my Federal Taxes now, but congress is debating getting rid of that deduction.

CD

But I bet your house is a lot nicer than mine will be. If I can't move a trailer onto the property, I'm hoping to put up a Tuff Shed first and maybe live in that.:LOL:

I hate the fall time change! Is anyone else affected by Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)? It sure does a mental number on me every year. SC bought me a special light for it a few years ago, but truth be told, it doesn't do much good.

I hate the fall time change! Is anyone else affected by Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)? It sure does a mental number on me every year. SC bought me a special light for it a few years ago, but truth be told, it doesn't do much good.
The fall time change does not affect me as much the spring time change. I always feel very sluggish lasting a few days after springing forward.
I wish they would just do away with Daylight Savings all together. I'd prefer Standard Time year round.

Massachusetts just agreed to switch to Atlantic time year-round (equivalent to being on DST all year). It will be implemented when the rest of the East Coast states also make the switch.

I prefer DST to standard time. I tend to rise late so the amount of daylight in the early hours isn't important to me. On the other hand, I prefer it get dark later.

Last edited:

Not a fan here, either. It's such a radical change and makes evenings seem soooo long.

When I lived in Washington state for a few years, it was even worse. Daylight hours in the dead of winter were pretty much 8AM - 4PM, give or take a few. Maybe RR will chime in. :)

I have been using these or fluorescent full spectrum lights now for, let's see, since 2005 and they do help. They help SAD because they are light 'like the sun', and they reset your sleep clock by creating a light like the sun, in your eyes, even when the sun is not shining. Use them from 8 am to 8 pm, like the sun, if you had that much sun. I only use them in the family room. I also had them at work. By resetting your sleep clock, you get tired at a regular time, your sleep is not as disrupted. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018OS06S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have no financial interests in these, or stock or whatever. They just seem to help.

Back
Top Bottom