"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #5791
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Telemarketers suck!

There current gimmick is to have various different IDs show up on your phone to get you to answer their call. Just got a call from a local business in our town. Not really! It was a telemarketing call. Of course I hung up immediately.

It amazes me they think getting me to answer is the solution and that I won't just hang up!

Grrrrr!
I like to keep them on the line as long as possible. In fact, I've made it a game as to try to break my record of stalling each time. I amswer as if I'm really interested in whatever they are up to, but then I either keep excusing myself here and there to stall, or become a complete idiot until they finally give up. Sometimes I threaten them, if they try to argue, that I will do things like a tracert or iplocate to see where they are.

Hey they called me, so they will suffer me... Mwahahahaa.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:39 PM   #5792
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
GG, this happened to me a looooong time ago. I finally hooked up the call to my printer/fax machine and received the fax. Got their company name, number and the company name and number they were trying to reach.

I then faxed THEM, AND the company they were trying to reach, a blistering letter about how after 3 days and umpteen million tries that the fax did NOT go thru that maybe that was a clue that it was a wrong number? I also made sure the sender knew that I had copied the letter to their customer...

The calls stopped immediately.
I don't have a fax machine and I really don't care to spend my time that way. Back in the day, I made my share of faxes to incorrect numbers and I figured out all by myself that, when it didn't work repeatedly, it was a wrong number.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #5793
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
I like to keep them on the line as long as possible. In fact, I've made it a game as to try to break my record of stalling each time. I amswer as if I'm really interested in whatever they are up to, but then I either keep excusing myself here and there to stall, or become a complete idiot until they finally give up. Sometimes I threaten them, if they try to argue, that I will do things like a tracert or iplocate to see where they are.

Hey they called me, so they will suffer me... Mwahahahaa.
You too? I love to play games with them sometimes. I make believe every so often that I am being interrupted and hold an imaginary conversation with someone out of earshot. Sometimes I will mention the words "bleeding profusely" or "how severe are the pains" "are they coming fast?" "did you call 911?" Then I get back to the caller with several apologies while they keep trying to pick up where they left off or were rudely interrupted by my imaginary person. Then all of a sudden we get interrupted by a "click". Sometimes they try to call back, but most don't.

A lot of times I will let them go through their whole spiel and when they are through I tell them I am hard of hearing and forgot to put the speaker on loud. Could they repeat that again please?
Old 02-20-2017, 10:07 PM   #5794
Master Chef

Not here. I don't have time for that, nor would I get pleasure out of it even if I did. I just don't answer calls from unfamiliar numbers and 99% of the time they don't leave a msg. Problem solved.

Once in a while they're legit, though. Yesterday someone called my cell and left a voicemail: "This is Dr. ****'s office. Hailey is ready to be picked up." I recognized the local dentist's name, knew the receptionist, and called them back to say they had the wrong number.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:26 PM   #5795
Master Chef

When we had a land-line, and no Caller ID, I would wait until the caller started talking before I would pick up. My poor SIL had to start a ton of "messages" before I would answer. Now with just a cellphone, if the party isn't in my Contact List, I don't answer. ~ Andy, if I didn't have current business with that company, I would have just let it roll to voicemail. You can always check for messages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Not here. I don't have time for that, nor would I get pleasure out of it even if I did. I just don't answer calls from unfamiliar numbers and 99% of the time they don't leave a msg. Problem solved. ...
^This^ I did do telemarketing for a while when we needed money for extras when building Home Two. At least I worked for a courteous agency owner who insisted we be polite and allow the person to end the call immediately if they so chose. My biggest time-eater was when I got a lonely old person who was so happy to have any human contact that they droned on and on. Again with the courteous boss, she said we should listen to those people, no matter how annoying, because it could very well be their only contact with a real person that day. To this day I can remember her name, Charlotte, and can picture what she looks like from memory. A real quality person.

And about that miss-dialed call from the dentist? One time a dry cleaner left a message that someone's cleaning was ready. Not mine! I called the dry cleaner back to let them know they needed to figure out what the right phone number was.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:32 PM   #5796
Certified Pretend Chef

I have no patience to engage a caller. I check the display then hang up. Once a doctors office called and I hung up because the number was not their main number. They called right back.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #5797
Head Chef

Considering the fax episode that happened to me, suffice it to say we did not have Caller ID back then and Message devices were external and purchased at your local electronics store. So when the phone rings and you had kids - you answered... but to then have a fax machine squeal in your ear... was not fun.

I did that company a favour, not to mention my own ear plus the vindication for my pain. I'm sure the sending company quickly educated the staff who did not seem to have the most basic common sense to figure it out. If not educated she(he) would probably receive the wonderful "pink slip" with the next pay cheque.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:25 PM   #5798
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My basement smoke/CO2 detector started screeching and beeping. The batteries need to be replaced. I get that. So far I've broken 3 fingernails trying to open the battery door. I looked up the manual online, and it was of no help. Can't get the dang thing open. DH's solution would be to take a hammer to it.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:33 PM   #5799
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
My basement smoke/CO2 detector started screeching and beeping. The batteries need to be replaced. I get that. So far I've broken 3 fingernails trying to open the battery door. I looked up the manual online, and it was of no help. Can't get the dang thing open. DH's solution would be to take a hammer to it.
Screeching while you were trying to get the battery door open? Yikes! I would be getting out the hammer too. (It's probably a carbon monoxide, not a carbon dioxide detector)
Old 03-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #5800
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Screeching while you were trying to get the battery door open? Yikes! I would be getting out the hammer too. (It's probably a carbon monoxide, not a carbon dioxide detector)

Yes, CO3. You knew what I meant. Still can't get the battery door open. I pushed the button, and it's quit screeching. DH gave up immediately. He's useless in these matters.