Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Rock, I feel your pain. Finger cuts are a PITA. Stitches are pointless... they just have to heal, and since you use your fingers for, like, everything, they can't heal fast enough.

BTW, I am/was a drummer. Now, I only have my Pearl Cajone. It doesn't take up space, and it is actually kinda' fun.

What kind of kit do you have? If I ever come into big money, and decide to buy a new kit, it is going to be a DW kit. As a teenager, I had a Slingerland Buddy Rich kit in authentic Buddy Rich configuration and Marine Pearl finish. It was in the high-school band room when some nut-job decided to set fire to that part of the school. I wish I still had it. It would probably be worth some serious coin, today.

CD

Hey Rock, I feel your pain. Finger cuts are a PITA. Stitches are pointless... they just have to heal, and since you use your fingers for, like, everything, they can't heal fast enough.

BTW, I am/was a drummer. Now, I only have my Pearl Cajone. It doesn't take up space, and it is actually kinda' fun.

What kind of kit do you have? If I ever come into big money, and decide to buy a new kit, it is going to be a DW kit. As a teenager, I had a Slingerland Buddy Rich kit in authentic Buddy Rich configuration and Marine Pearl finish. It was in the high-school band room when some nut-job decided to set fire to that part of the school. I wish I still had it. It would probably be worth some serious coin, today.

CD
I have a few kits..Vintage Ludwig, Rogers and a newer Gretsch, and a custom made Canadian fiberglass kit called Tempus...those Slingerland kits were beauty..I still have to try and get one, some day...

Last edited:
I have a few kits..Vintage Ludwig, Rogers and a newer Gretsch, and a custom made Canadian fiberglass kit called Tempus...those Slingerland kits were beauty..I still have to try and get one, some day...

My second choice after DW would be Gretsch. They have a really "warm" sound to me, for lack of a better description.

Ludwig and Slingerland were the the big names back in the day.

Fiberglass makes me think of the old Ludwig Vistalite plastic drums.

Hey, did you ever own any Roto Toms? :LOL:

CD

My second choice after DW would be Gretsch. They have a really "warm" sound to me, for lack of a better description.

Ludwig and Slingerland were the the big names back in the day.

Fiberglass makes me think of the old Ludwig Vistalite plastic drums.

Hey, did you ever own any Roto Toms? :LOL:

CD
I never owned any, but I did sing in bands with drummers who owned them..I also had a friends set in my basement for a couple of years..you would be surprised how popular they still are..not sure how many people use them, but you see them for sale all the time..

That is the main reason I would always place mine place mine laying down on the top tray.

Knives shouldn't even be put into the dishwasher in the first place.

:( Aarrgh, Roch...looks like a nasty cut....I hope that heals soon!

Anyone find it hard to open Bread N Butter sized jar lids ? I do. I got tired of pounding the jar lid with a knife end. I ordered a jar opener from China. $3.68 free shipping.

It was a comedy of errors trying to open one today. I pounded the hell outta that jar lid with a knife end and it still wouldn't twist open. "Enough of hassling with that", I said to myself. "I'll buy a jar lid opener." It's large Bread N Butter jars that don't twist open that easily. I remembered to take the plastic shrink wrap off before trying. :LOL:

Last edited:
$3.68 from China. Free shipping ($7.99 from Walmart or BB&B). It should do OK. I got fed up with pounding large jar lids to get them to twist open.

ddfd.jpg

Last edited:
I put one of those fat elastics that you get with broccoli on the lid and that usually makes it possible to twist of the lid. The hubster looked at me like I was weird (well, I am, but that's not relevant in this case) when I told him to use a "broccoli elastic". Most of my female friends know what that is. :LOL:

I made a pretty good LBT sandwich. I went to open a jar of sweet cucumber chips to add to the lunch and couldn't get the lid off. I succeeded, but what a hassle. I ordered a lid opener from China.

Last edited:
If you look under the edge of the lid you will see places where the lid is pinched/pushed in. Place the edge of the bowl of a spoon under the pushed in spot and gently pry up. You will usually hear the pop when vacuum is released.

Last edited:
I used the elastic trick plus I put a dish cloth on the counter (to act as a cushion) next to the sink, lay the jar on it sideways - with the lid over the sink and twist from that angle.

I get better torque and better grip from my hands and wrist - works every time.

AND I think I've only EVER had a dribble into the sink once... but I still do it over the sink,,, just in case! LOL!

Then I try to remember to wash the lid and rim before putting it away!

When I run into a stubborn jar lid, turn the jar upside down an hit the lid squarely on the counter a couple of times. The shock seems to loosen the lid enough. I also have thin rubber disks about 6" in diameter that serves to give a great grip on the lid if needed. I'e had a tool similar to the one Caslon pictured but found it awkward to use.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom