Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just before I was old enough to start driving, a co-worker and friend of my Dad was killed by a drunk driver. Joe was on his way in to work in the wee hours of the morning (like Dad, he drove a bread route and would take a pre-shift delivery to a wholesaler before his route started to make extra $$ for his family), when a seriously drunk jerk hit Joe's car and killed him. I saw the devastation on that family first-hand and swore I would never drive drunk. I was probably right on the edge of impaired once or twice, but I made sure I paid extra attention coming home and probably drove too slow! City streets, of course, not the highway.

I understand the difficulty of trying to control a disease like alcoholism. What I don't get, though, is why all of these repeat offenders keep driving and driving. I don't know how many news stories I've heard lately of "this was his 11th OUI in the last seven years" or "so-and-so had his license revoked in 20??" and yet they get released out into the wild to offend again. Chronically serious offenders need to do some meaningful jail time.

Well, since we're basically on "Hawaiian Time", we ran to the all night grocery store to get gallon bottles of water. Had to beat the morning rush of all the early birds around here. Had we known they would find and fix the leak by the time we got up, we could have made due with the one emergency gallon of water I always have in the basement.

We closed the bars and drove home slowly so that a cop didn't stop us. :ermm: :ROFLMAO:

Let me make this clear: We NEVER drink and drive. That is just plain stoopid.

I drink more than I should, but when I go out, I limit myself.

For one thing, I can't afford a DUI. That can cost 10-grand or more in Texas.

But, the biggest thing is that I couldn't live with myself if I killed someone because I was driving drunk.

I like to go listen to my college friends play classic rock at a bar near me, but I nurse a beer or two over a few hours. I know I can drive home safely with that amount of consumption.

CD

Petty vent: Packaged Swiss cheese slices available at my supermarkets these days are rather bland tasting. There's just not very much aged Swiss cheese taste to them at all. I'm going to check the more expensive specialty cheese counter instead of the deli section and maybe find some truly aged Swiss Cheese in solid bulk form and slice it myself. Even Sargento brand is bland tasting, along with Kraft, Borden and the other brands of deli type Swiss cheese slices. I made an avocado, onion, lettuce and Swiss cheese sandwich and couldn't taste the Swiss cheese at all! :(

Petty vent: Packaged Swiss cheese slices available at my supermarkets these days are rather bland tasting. There's just not very much aged Swiss cheese taste to them at all. I'm going to check the more expensive specialty cheese counter instead of the deli section and maybe find some truly aged Swiss Cheese in solid bulk form and slice it myself. Even Sargento brand is bland tasting, along with Kraft, Borden and the other brands of deli type Swiss cheese slices. I made an avocado, onion, lettuce and Swiss cheese sandwich and couldn't taste the Swiss cheese at all! :(

That's right and you aren't alone. Swiss cheese consumption is down in the US since the regulations started regulating hole size. It's graded A B or C. The big companies are in a hurry to make it and sell it, so it isn't aged long, just 60 days. Since we started making our own swiss, we haven't bought any from the store. The longer aging stuff tastes oh so much stronger and delicious. Also, Americans eat about 33 lbs of cheese per person per year, only 1 lb of swiss out of all consumed per year/per person. The regulations started in 2000 and it's been a complaint and makes the news yearly.

But the funny part is that in Europe there is no such thing as "Swiss" cheese per se. They know what it is but should you ask for it they will, in turn, ask you "Which one?" Swiss cheese is a generic name. Gruyere, Appenzeller, and especially Emmental with the holes.

That's right and you aren't alone. Swiss cheese consumption is down in the US since the regulations started regulating hole size. It's graded A B or C. The big companies are in a hurry to make it and sell it, so it isn't aged long, just 60 days. Since we started making our own swiss, we haven't bought any from the store. The longer aging stuff tastes oh so much stronger and delicious. Also, Americans eat about 33 lbs of cheese per person per year, only 1 lb of swiss out of all consumed per year/per person. The regulations started in 2000 and it's been a complaint and makes the news yearly.

I buy Swiss cheese from the deli counter, and usually go with Boar's Head.

I used to cold smoke cheeses in the winter, and Swiss was a good one to cold smoke. Probably my favorite.

CD

Swiss cheese consumption is down in the US since the regulations started regulating hole size. It's graded A B or C.

None of the four packaged brands of "Swiss Cheese" at the cold cuts section even had holes in them like they used to. I was wondering about that.

Last edited:
I also remember reading somewhere that the holes are not as many or as large, don't remember which. And this is supposedly from the foods the cows eat which is waht produces the holes

I also remember reading somewhere that the holes are not as many or as large, don't remember which. And this is supposedly from the foods the cows eat which is waht produces the holes
From Wikipedia:
Three types of bacteria are used in the production of Emmental cheese: Streptococcus salivarius subspecies thermophilus, Lactobacillus (Lactobacillus helveticus or Lactobacillus delbrueckii subspecies bulgaricus), and Propionibacterium (Propionibacterium freudenreichii subspecies shermani).[2] In a late stage of cheese production, the propionibacteria consume the lactic acid excreted by the other bacteria and release acetate, propionic acid, and carbon dioxide gas. The carbon dioxide slowly forms the bubbles that develop the "eyes".[3] The acetate and propionic acid give Swiss its nutty and sweet flavor.[4] A hypothesis proposed by Swiss researchers in 2015 notes that particulate matter may also play a role in the holes' development and that modern sanitation eliminated debris such as hay dust in the milk played a role in reduced hole size in Swiss cheeses, or even "blind cheese".[5][6] Historically, the holes were seen as a sign of imperfection and cheese makers originally tried to avoid them by pressing during production. In modern times, the holes have become an identifier of the cheese.

From Wikipedia:

AHA! I finally waded through the indecipherable scienticfic gobbledy-gook to the part I was remembering in layman's english.

.[4] A hypothesis proposed by Swiss researchers in 2015 notes that particulate matter may also play a role in the holes' development and that modern sanitation eliminated debris such as hay dust in the milk played a role in reduced hole size in Swiss cheeses, or even "blind cheese".

So do "they" give a reason as to WHY they feel it important to regulate the size of the holes? As stated 'Swiss Cheese' is a generic name of quite a few types of cheese originating from the Alps - of which only a couple have holes. If you taste both Emmental and American Swiss the similarities are really rather vague.

[5][6] Historically, the holes were seen as a sign of imperfection and cheese makers originally tried to avoid them by pressing during production. In modern times, the holes have become an identifier of the cheese.

But the funny part is that in Europe there is no such thing as "Swiss" cheese per se. They know what it is but should you ask for it they will, in turn, ask you "Which one?" Swiss cheese is a generic name. Gruyere, Appenzeller, and especially Emmental with the holes.
Not funny at all. "Swiss cheese" in America seems to be any cheese of a particular texture with holes in it but the actual Swiss varieties you mention above are different in flavour. I'm sure if you looked in the right places you'd find imported cheeses from the various Swiss regions. Any cheese seller worth his/her salt will let you try a little nibble to decide which you like best. If they don't then walk away.

In the UK we have a lot of different local cheeses - Cheshire, Cheddar, Double Gloucester, Lancashire (2 sorts depending on the ageing), Derbyshire (and Sage Derbyshire) and many others. Most of these are made in bulk in factories using milk from many farms but if labelled "Farmhouse....." it must have been made on the farm premises with milk only from that farm's cows.

We also have a wide range of cheeses which are protected by law. Some local cheeses have a PDO (Protected Designation of Origin), such as these below.
  • Beacon Fell Traditional Lancashire
  • Buxton Blue
  • Dovedale
  • Swaledale
  • Swaledale ewes' cheese
  • Single Gloucester
  • Staffordshire Cheese
and three other cheeses have PGI (Protected Geographical Indication)
  • Dorset Blue
  • Exmoor Blue
  • Teviotdale
Do try them if you come across them.

If you are ever in the UK don't be lured by the common or garden "cheddar cheese" on the supermarket slab. Unlike Stilton which can only be made in a very limited area of the country under strict legal regulations, the "farmhouse" makers of Cheddar cheese missed out on regularising the making of it so all sorts of rubbish from all over the world finds it's way into the shops under that name. "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar" is one of the few "farmhouse" Cheddars that have got into the Supermarkets. Try that one and you'll never willingly eat factory-produced "Cheddar" again!

Factories strive to produce cheeses to a strict sameness, whereas the flavour of "Farmhouse" cheese may vary, batch to batch, according to things like the mix of grasses the cows had been eating that week, how the weather has affected the grass, and all sorts of other issues, which is what makes the cheeses so interesting.

The supermarket companies over here are getting used to the idea that customers don't always want what the store says they have to have and even the "budget" end such as Aldi and Lidl are getting their act together with more interesting goods in all departments, not just with their cheeses.

I know from watching Ina Garten that there are farmhouse (aka "artisan") cheese-makers in the US. They may seem expensive but as my widowed Grandmother, who brought up 5 children on very little money in the "hungry '30s", used to say -"Buy better - buy less". In other words if something tastes good and is good quality, you don't need as much.

Sorry about going on about this but I care a lot about "proper" food and tend to get a bit over-heated about it. It's very much a case of "use it or lose it".

Not funny at all. "Swiss cheese" in America seems to be any cheese of a particular texture with holes in it but the actual Swiss varieties you mention above are different in flavour. I'm sure if you looked in the right places you'd find imported cheeses from the various Swiss regions.

Emmentaler is what's known in the United States as Swiss cheese. Just about any good grocery store has a cheese counter in the deli area and a case of packaged refrigerated cheeses in the refrigerated section. Caslon is buying his in the refrigerated area, where lesser quality but less expensive cheeses are available. Not everyone has the means or desire to do things the way you do.

Caslon, go to the cheese counter and get a couple of slices each of Jarlsberg (of Norwegian origin) and Emmentaler. See which you prefer and just forget about the "Swiss". Start with these two, then...

You could also ask the counter person for another similar cheese. But don't get too many to test at any one time or it might start to get confusing for your taste buds. :wacko:

Caslon, go to the cheese counter and get a couple of slices each of Jarlsberg (of Norwegian origin) and Emmentaler. See which you prefer and just forget about the "Swiss". Start with these two, then...

You could also ask the counter person for another similar cheese. But don't get too many to test at any one time or it might start to get confusing for your taste buds. :wacko:

Okay, I'm making note of what the term Swiss cheese is, it's not one thing. In my supermarket cold cuts section, Swiss cheese is one thing...bland. As of the past few years? Very less tasteful, if you ask me.

Last edited:
American cheese in Sweden is those plastic covered slices.
Cheese is lovely, my Scottish nephew was over and we found the same Scottish cheddar here as there, with one difference, the one in Sweden had a saltire and Made in Scotland , while in Scotland it now marked made in Britain and with Union Jack. His favourite cheese which he hadnt had since the" if it the union Jack, it goes back"thing happened, so I bought it and well it gone now.

So do "they" give a reason as to WHY they feel it important to regulate the size of the holes? As stated 'Swiss Cheese' is a generic name of quite a few types of cheese originating from the Alps - of which only a couple have holes. If you taste both Emmental and American Swiss the similarities are really rather vague.

The size of the holes was regulated so that the swiss cheese could be easily put through an automatic deli or factory slicer. The larger holes made the slices unstable/feathery and jammed the machines. The more stable slices, the one's with small and few holes let the cheese be sliced up to 1000 slices per minute.

We've only made four types of swiss. Emmentaler and Jarlsburg, in addition to using propionic shermanii culture, has an aging period at room temperature for a number of weeks, to grow the holes, the entire cheese expands during that time, then it is aged at 55 degrees F after that. Gruyere and Raclette, don't have a warm aging period and don't generally grow the holes.

Yep, and I didn't know that.
Norway

It was named for a Norwegian nobleman Count Wedel Jarlsberg (or the eponymous county) who owned land near Oslo in an area where an earlier version of the cheese was produced in the early 1800s. The recipe was developed from formulae originating with Swiss cheesemakers who moved to Norway in that time.

Back
Top Bottom