Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love Jarlsberg! It so good and I hope when the heat wave is over the cheese store can get back in stock again.

Raclette is another name being changed by the public and stores. Originally a type of cheese, now you are starting to see in the stores other cheeses being sold for USE as a cheese to be melted on your raclette devise.

Emmentaler is what's known in the United States as Swiss cheese. Just about any good grocery store has a cheese counter in the deli area and a case of packaged refrigerated cheeses in the refrigerated section. Caslon is buying his in the refrigerated area, where lesser quality but less expensive cheeses are available. Not everyone has the means or desire to do things the way you do.
And I don't have the means to do it any other way. (The combined jaw of "Discuss Cooking" would drop to the floor if it knew how small my pension is!) I obviously had a better domestic economy education than some of you.

Why should the refridgerated area automatically have poor or dubious quality items in it? Doesn't that contravene your food standards legislation? Here factory pre-packed goods are more expensive than goods sold "loose" and the quality is carefully regulated

And I don't have the means to do it any other way. (The combined jaw of "Discuss Cooking" would drop to the floor if it knew how small my pension is!) I obviously had a better domestic economy education than some of you.

Obviously you did. Congratulations. Your contempt for people who didn't have that education is rather off-putting, though.

Why should the refridgerated area automatically have poor or dubious quality items in it? Doesn't that contravene your food standards legislation? Here factory pre-packed goods are more expensive than goods sold "loose" and the quality is carefully regulated

By quality I meant, for example, the cheese isn't aged as long so it costs less and doesn't taste as good. There is nothing unhealthful about it.

I'm so proud of those people that know how to budget and really try to save money when they shop. Don't let anyone shame you for having your own particular money situation, the common sense, and smarts besides. Your budget is your budget, you go and you can do it!

I've got dozens of smart friends that make it their business to shop within their budget even when their budget is small. I admire them and learn from them. Be glad you have more sense than dollars.

Emmentaler is what's known in the United States as Swiss cheese. Just about any good grocery store has a cheese counter in the deli area and a case of packaged refrigerated cheeses in the refrigerated section. Caslon is buying his in the refrigerated area, where lesser quality but less expensive cheeses are available. Not everyone has the means or desire to do things the way you do.

If all want is 50 grammes of, say, Cheshire cheese, I can get it at the deli counter. If I went to the pre-packed department in the supermarket I'd have to buy a lot more that that - probably 250 grammes and as I live alone I'd either be eating it for a week or more whether I wanted it or not or it would get stale before I could use it and that is waste both of cheese and of money.

And, Got Garlic, I've been thinking for some time that you need to practise some good manners both in your dealings with me and with others on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned maybe more than I wanted to about "Swiss cheese." All good. I'll not be buying packaged so called deli "Swiss cheese" slices anymore. It used to taste like Swiss cheese years ago, not anymore.

Last edited:
I Know, I Know. I'm Just A Grumpy Old Man!

Our 11 YO grandson is staying with us for a few days. As today was supposed to be rainy, we planned to take him to the movies this afternoon with the young girl next door. He chose an age appropriate movie, Incredibles2.

Now, SO and are not moviegoers. It's been a dozen years since we were at a movie theater. I went online to buy tickets last night. It appears that you can now choose your seats when you pre-order. So I ordered two child tickets and two senior tickets (a slight discount from normal. Same price as the kids tickets). When I began the payment process, I noticed a $7 "Convenience Fee" tacked onto the bill for the four tickets. Basically reversing the discounts for kids and seniors and getting the ticket price back to standard $11. each. Total bill $45 and change.

Off to the theater for the 12:15 movie! We arrived around Noon and I stopped at the cashier to ask if the convenience charge was applied to tickets purchased at the theater. It was not. So I was charged $7 for THEIR convenience.

On to the refreshment stand! Each child ordered a small popcorn and drink. That's two small popcorns and two small drinks. Care to guess how much that cost? Go ahead, give it a shot. Not even close. It cost $29.04!

We finally escaped into the theater about 12:05. Fantastic comfy leather-like easy chairs that recline. Wide aisles so people can get by and you don't have to stand up. Lay back and watch the movie.

Not so fast! First there are interminable commercials, one after another. Many of them the same ones we see at home on TV. Then there are previews, one after another. Then there's a short subject film about a woman who made a child out of a steamed dumpling then ate him when he disobeyed!?!?

FINALLY! at 12:47 the 12:15 movie started. It was a kids' animated feature. Then we left.

Wanna guess how long before we go to the movies again?

As I said at the top, I'm just a grumpy old man and it was my turn to vent.

Andy, if outrageous movie theatre prices are all that is needed to qualify as "grumpy", count me in. :LOL: I can remember the last time I saw a movie in a theatre - "Chicago", sometime in the early part of 2003. I don't miss going because I have a comfy recliner in my living room, don't have to shush people talking or texting near me, and have the ability to ask Himself to pause the movie if I want to take a quick trip to the kitchen...or the "library". If I'm sitting in a theatre seat, it had better be a live show at the front of the house.

Wow, Andy...that's definitely a legit vent! The sneaky 'convenience' fee alone for pre-ordering would be enough to turn me off, not to mention the price of the snacks. I'm sure the kids loved it, but I get you not wanting to go back for another decade or so, if ever. :ohmy:

Our rather small town movie theater has (I think) 7 movies playing at any given time. The general admission is $10.75. Children, seniors, military, and matinees are $8.75. Snack prices are ridiculous.

When there's a new movie I really want to see, I like going to a weekday matinee by myself. (Just not during summer break when school's out). It's just a treat that I enjoy, especially because the theater is almost always empty and I kind of feel like I'm enjoying a private viewing. :) I kick back in the back row with a large bottled water I bring in myself, and the ticket taker overlooks it and waves me on through. :cool:

Last edited:
I don't do movie theaters either, haven't been in one since 2007.
My wife takes our three little grand kids to see movies. I take them on hikes and to the park, which I enjoy doing.... and it's free.

Hey Caslon, put bacon on it. :chef::LOL:

CD

Heheh, ya. My avocado, onion, chopped lettuce and Swiss cheese sandwich. Add bacon!

Speaking of bacon, I found that if I vacuum pack my opened package of bacon into a vacuum bag, using my Reynolds Handi-Vac, the bacon stays fresh for quite a while. It doesn't start turning brown. I'm stoked because, bacon is very expensive these days.

Last edited:
Heheh, ya. My avocado, onion, chopped lettuce and Swiss cheese sandwich. Add bacon!

Speaking of bacon, I found that if I vacuum pack my opened package of bacon into a vacuum bag, using my Reynolds Handi-Vac, the bacon stays fresh for quite a while. It doesn't start turning brown. I'm stoked because, bacon is very expensive these days.

We've had good luck freezing cooked bacon. I cook two pounds at a time and freeze the unused slices rolled up in a long strip of paper towels in a ziplock bag. Then we only have cleanup once and bacon ready to go with a quick zap in the microwave. I also keep the strained bacon fat in a plastic tub for cooking eggs and such.

I vacuum seal bacon, too, and it does keep much longer in the fridge, and freezes fine, too.

CD

Wow, Andy...that's definitely a legit vent! The sneaky 'convenience' fee alone for pre-ordering would be enough to turn me off, not to mention the price of the snacks. I'm sure the kids loved it, but I get you not wanting to go back for another decade or so, if ever. :ohmy:

Our rather small town movie theater has (I think) 7 movies playing at any given time. The general admission is $10.75. Children, seniors, military, and matinees are $8.75. Snack prices are ridiculous.

When there's a new movie I really want to see, I like going to a weekday matinee by myself. (Just not during summer break when school's out). It's just a treat that I enjoy, especially because the theater is almost always empty and I kind of feel like I'm enjoying a private viewing. :) I kick back in the back row with a large bottled water I bring in myself, and the ticket taker overlooks it and waves me on through. :cool:

I posted a comment in the movie thread about going to see Mama Mia 2 last week.. I was pleased that tickets were $4.89 + tax.. The only price list I had seen was Senior tickets @ $10.69..

Come to find out that the theater has what they call $5 Tuesdays..
We had not been to the theater in about 2 years.. With $5 Tuesdays, I can see us going more often..
Even for that popular movie, there were not too many people at the early showing.. We don't buy snacks and sneaky Jeannie takes a bottle of water in her purse.. She is such a rebel.. :ROFLMAO::LOL::ermm:

Ross

I posted a comment in the movie thread about going to see Mama Mia 2 last week.. I was pleased that tickets were $4.89 + tax.. The only price list I had seen was Senior tickets @ $10.69..

Come to find out that the theater has what they call $5 Tuesdays..
We had not been to the theater in about 2 years.. With $5 Tuesdays, I can see us going more often..
Even for that popular movie, there were not too many people at the early showing.. We don't buy snacks and sneaky Jeannie takes a bottle of water in her purse.. She is such a rebel.. :ROFLMAO::LOL::ermm:

Ross

:LOL: Good for Jeannie! I don't buy the theater snacks either - I'm not into candy, hot dogs, or popcorn. Once in a while a ziplock of mixed nuts or something from home will jump into my purse before I leave, though. Shhhh...:ermm::LOL:

Our theater is under new management and has also started offering a few deals. They now have a family pack of popcorn and drinks which may work out better than single buying for a family of 4 or more, and certain days of the week they now have $5 showings as well. For seniors, they offered a "buy one ticket, get one half price", but several seniors, including me, are single and enjoy going to the movie theater alone sometimes, so they started offering weekday deals on that, too.

I enjoy watching a movie in my own living room, but occasionally I love to go see something on the big screen. Once my ears get used to the incredibly high volume they use, that is....:huh:

...Once in a while a ziplock of mixed nuts or something from home will jump into my purse before I leave, though. Shhhh...:ermm::LOL:...
At least that's a normal snack food. I've been known to drain an entire can of black olives and put those into a zipped sandwich bag so my SIL and I can munch on them through a movie - the original M.A.S.H., as a matter of fact. :LOL:

I would think that movie theaters would be dialing back on prices, since you can get a similar movie experience at home these days... with a pause button. I have big flat screen TV, 7.1 surround, DTS -- and a kitchen downstairs at home.

Okay, I have to wait to see the newest releases, but then I can rent them online for five-or-six bucks, and use AppleTV to watch them in my own "home theater."

I can wait.

Movie theaters are either going to have to lower prices, or up their game, or they will join video stores like Blockbuster into the history books of businesses.

CD

Back
Top Bottom