"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #591
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hope the tooth's not hurting so much, Laurie.

We discovered our mailbox was run into and totally trashed this morn, it happened when we were gone. As I can surmise, neighbors had a party when someone backed or fronted into it. Same neighbor also runs a landscaping business from his home, and has taken out our tree branches and other stuff with his equipment as he uses our private drive to back up his stuff. This happened before, a few years ago, and someone backed into the mailbox and snapped the whole post off, then just took off. Luckily I was able to save the beautiful clematis planted underneath, and we installed a much sturdier post for the mail and paper boxes, complete with solid concrete. I can guarantee that whoever did it this time, their vehicle was hurting! That post is solid!

Now off to buy a new mailbox.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #592
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Hope the tooth's not hurting so much, Laurie.

We discovered our mailbox was run into and totally trashed this morn, it happened when we were gone. As I can surmise, neighbors had a party when someone backed or fronted into it. Same neighbor also runs a landscaping business from his home, and has taken out our tree branches and other stuff with his equipment as he uses our private drive to back up his stuff. This happened before, a few years ago, and someone backed into the mailbox and snapped the whole post off, then just took off. Luckily I was able to save the beautiful clematis planted underneath, and we installed a much sturdier post for the mail and paper boxes, complete with solid concrete. I can guarantee that whoever did it this time, their vehicle was hurting! That post is solid!

Now off to buy a new mailbox.
Maybe a steel I-beam for a post, with 12 inch steep spikes welded perpendicular to the post, at about the correct height to pu8ncture, say, a radiator, might act as a deterrent.

I am kidding of course. It's too dangerous, and mean spirited. But sometimes, a person is just tempted.

There was an incident around my home town many years ago, when snowmobiles were fairly cheap, and everyone had them, where someone was constantly riding through another person's yard, at night. Keep out signs were posted. Fences were put up, and the snowmobiles kept driving through the owner's yard. Finally, the owner placed a steel spike in his frozen yard. The person who hit it was a young girl that he knew, who was a member of a friend's family. There were lawyers involved, he felt horrible about the injuries that the girl sustained, he had to pay hospital bills, etc. I was a young teen at the time, and this man's son was someone I knew. It was all so very sad.

Sometimes we have to put up with stupidity on the part of our fellow earthly inhabitants. And if things get too out of hand, a motion activated camera works so much better than a steel spike, you know, the kind hunters use to see fi there are deer in the woods.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #593
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

Maybe a steel I-beam for a post, with 12 inch steep spikes welded perpendicular to the post, at about the correct height to pu8ncture, say, a radiator, might act as a deterrent.

I am kidding of course. It's too dangerous, and mean spirited. But sometimes, a person is just tempted.

There was an incident around my home town many years ago, when snowmobiles were fairly cheap, and everyone had them, where someone was constantly riding through another person's yard, at night. Keep out signs were posted. Fences were put up, and the snowmobiles kept driving through the owner's yard. Finally, the owner placed a steel spike in his frozen yard. The person who hit it was a young girl that he knew, who was a member of a friend's family. There were lawyers involved, he felt horrible about the injuries that the girl sustained, he had to pay hospital bills, etc. I was a young teen at the time, and this man's son was someone I knew. It was all so very sad.

Sometimes we have to put up with stupidity on the part of our fellow earthly inhabitants. And if things get too out of hand, a motion activated camera works so much better than a steel spike, you know, the kind hunters use to see fi there are deer in the woods.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I gotcha, Chief. When our neighbor backs up his equipment into our private drive and has taken out a few hugh branches from our white pine grove, he totally denies doing it, even though we've seen him in action. Will have to check into the cameras. We were able to get him to quit parking all his trucks, snow removal equipment, and trailers on his front lawn in this small subdivision neighborhood, thanks to the County Attourney and their cameras.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #594
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks for all the well-wishes.

I officially have a double sinus infection along with my still abscessed tooth. The doctor wants to put me on anti-biotic for the sinuses but wants to check with my dentist (away until Monday when I see him for my root canal. I already take what I think is way too much pain medication I am trying to come off of for my chronic pain, now I have to take codiene just to be able to get out of bed with the acute pain of the sinuses and tooth.

But I am trying to hold out until Monday because I only want my dentist doing the root canal. He is also a friend and I know they are just holidaying at home so I am going to call him and tell him what the doctor said. Hopefully he will just fax in the antibiotic to our pharmacy. I am also flushing my sinuses 2-3 times a day and rinsing my mouth with warm salt water. The best thing, which I got all afternoon, is sleep.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #595
Master Chef

Some lucky clovers for you! Hope you feel better soon! I couldn't find the flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Thanks for all the well-wishes.

I officially have a double sinus infection along with my still abscessed tooth. The doctor wants to put me on anti-biotic for the sinuses but wants to check with my dentist (away until Monday when I see him for my root canal. I already take what I think is way too much pain medication I am trying to come off of for my chronic pain, now I have to take codiene just to be able to get out of bed with the acute pain of the sinuses and tooth.

But I am trying to hold out until Monday because I only want my dentist doing the root canal. He is also a friend and I know they are just holidaying at home so I am going to call him and tell him what the doctor said. Hopefully he will just fax in the antibiotic to our pharmacy. I am also flushing my sinuses 2-3 times a day and rinsing my mouth with warm salt water. The best thing, which I got all afternoon, is sleep.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #596
Certified Cake Maniac

Here's some flowers for you Snip!

I reported in the "what are you doing" thread that the abscess popped yesterday and that pain is just tender to the touch now, no endless throbbing. The sinuses are still aching, but much easier to handle.

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and letting me pout over my sore face!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #597
Master Chef

I think I'm going to bed now. My legs and back hurt from walking too much, walked about 17 miles today. My head and throat feel like they belong to someone else, head cold from hell! Slept about 4 hours last night, did 3 loads of washing, washed more dishes than I can count, made food fit for Sunday lunch, played games with the kids, picked up about a million legos, ironed, cleaned up, did the shopping and a nit check and bug shampoo on my kids :( They seem to be free from the nasty critters they picked up this holiday lol! I think I may have poisoned myself slightly by shampooing my own hair about 10 times just incase! Looks like I escaped the infestation. Please please please let school start soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #598
Master Chef

Quote:
Here's some flowers for you Snip!

I reported in the "what are you doing" thread that the abscess popped yesterday and that pain is just tender to the touch now, no endless throbbing. The sinuses are still aching, but much easier to handle.

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and letting me pout over my sore face!
Thank you Laurie Hope you get some well needed rest!

Old 01-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #599
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I have a toothache again (can't get my root canal until Monday) and I have a cold.
I know your pain Laurie...I have had a couple of root canals now...I do hope you can get through it till Monday
Old 01-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #600
Chef Extraordinaire

Snip, hope you feel better soon too!