Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DMV :mad::angry::censored: GRRRRR...

I tried to make an appointment online but they claimed none were available for the next two weeks. I don't believe that but I needed to renew my drivers license so off I went to that hell pit. After being sent from one window to the next for 2 hrs. I finally emerged with frayed nerves, an aching back and license in hand.

Since they started issuing DL's to practically everyone here in the State, DMV has gone to the pits.
I've been renewing my DL by mail the last 4 times, still with my 30 year-old picture on the current license. But I'll have to do it in person on the next renewal. I'm a AAA member so I think I can do it at one of their field offices instead.

Last edited:
Since they started issuing DL's to practically everyone here in the State, DMV has gone to the pits.
I've been renewing my DL by mail the last 4 times, still with my 30 year-old picture on the current license. But I'll have to do it in person on the next renewal. I'm a AAA member so I think I can do it at one of their field offices instead.

Hmm, I had to do the written test this time, and get a new picture. Thankfully the picture is better than the last one, and the test is now on one of their computers. I scored 100% There are those who have never used a computer, so I don't know what they do. Being on my feet for so long was a painful challenge.

I'm still fuming.:mad:

I tried to make an appointment online but they claimed none were available for the next two weeks. I don't believe that but I needed to renew my drivers license so off I went to that hell pit. After being sent from one window to the next for 2 hrs. I finally emerged with frayed nerves, an aching back and license in hand.
California... :LOL:

When I got to Missouri, last January, I went to DMV here in Springfield.. 2 people ahead of me.. I got my drivers license changed from Cali and registered a car.. Car registration for 2 years was $64.. I think the drivers license was $7..

I miss California.. ;):ROFLMAO:
Ross

By the way, you'd think the stupid DMV could at least have chairs for their computers but nooooo....they are standing computers for the driver test.:angry:

I'm convinced the California DMV delights in making people miserable.

Last edited:
By the way, you'd think the stupid DMV could at least have chairs for their computers but nooooo....they are standing computers for the driver test.:angry:

Come to Nevada! I didn’t have to take any tests, just my picture. CA license to NV license. Three and a half hours!

One more reason I am glad I never learned to drive.

Well, Addie, I personally don't mind the occasional trip to the DMV (OH) or RMV (MA) to renew a license every 4 or 5 years. It gives me unlimited opportunity to drive myself anywhere I want on my schedule. BUT different strokes for different folks.

Speaking of strokes, I'm very happy that you didn't stroke out right there at the DMV. You do know they would have ignored you and let people walk all over you when their turn came up. After today's trials, you deserve a hot buttered rum or white Russian. :yum: Just sayin'...

One more reason I am glad I never learned to drive.

Driving is one of the best things I ever learned how to do Addie. I got my first drivers license on my 16th birthday and it was one of the best days of my life. I was also given a car on that day and from then on I've been on the road without a single moving violation or accident. I'll turn 75 in a few days, and I'm still an excellent driver. I'm thankful my driving has given me the independence of a lifetime. As much as I crab about the DMV, I'm very glad I got that precious drivers license renewed once more. ;):D

Boston has an excellent transit system and it gets me where I want to go. I once took two driving lessons. I was so nervous that I knew it wasn't for me. Having spent some time in the ER as an employee, I have seen what auto wrecks can do to people. Today in this State, a family is burying a two month infant and her four year old sister. You couldn't even recognize the stroller. The folks were just waiting to cross the street. The driver is facing two separate charges of vehicle homicide. The other three people received minor injuries which included another child. The driver took a tranquillizer just before getting into her car. She fell asleep at the wheel and the car jumped the curb.

I am very happy with our transit system. Due to the loss of my leg and my age as an elderly, I now can take "The Ride". So I get private transport wherever I want to go.

We have a few elderly residents in this building that need to turn in their license.

I guess it all depends on where you live.

In L.A. you need a car. In most other major cities around the U.S., (and most other countries) you can get from point A to point B without a car.
It really does. I had to have a car when I lived in the country. When I moved back to Montreal, I didn't bother to replace my dead vehicle and let my driver's license go. I didn't have a driver's license for 18 years! I moved to the suburbs and got by with public transit for five years. Then I couldn't stand it anymore and got my driver's license again and bought a car. Shopping and getting home by public transit is a real PITA when the stores aren't near each other and the buses don't come often, like they do in the city.

Last edited:
I guess it all depends on where you live.

In L.A. you need a car. In most other major cities around the U.S., (and most other countries) you can get from point A to point B without a car.
Vegas public transport pretty much sucks. Definitely a “better to have a car” city. If you’re going to play on the Strip, though, as long as you live near one of the major east/west streets that cross the Strip, better to take a bus.

I'd agree needing to drive depends on where you live, so I only know my own experience as I've lived here all my life and driving here is actually equal to independence.
Personally, I can't imagine needing to depend on anyone for where or when I want to go anywhere for any reason. That fantastic feeling of freedom came on my 16th birthday, and I hope I'm gone before I have to give it up.

I've been doing the mail-in option with my drivers license, but in 2014 I received a notice that I had to go in to the local DMV for an eye exam to renew. It's a small office and only took about 20 minutes start to finish, and I got a new picture at the same time. It expires in Nov. of next year....I hope I don't have to do the written test, but it is what it is. :)

Like Kay said, I only know my own experience here in a small town and love the freedom of going where I want when I want. I've been driving for decades and will keep on keepin' on as long as I can. :)

Last edited:
I lived along a bus line with service into Cleveland when I first started working. That was good for work, but if I wanted to shop at a mall or strip center that wasn't along the line, too bad. If I wanted to head out to the ski slopes that weren't along the line, too bad. Pretty much if I wanted to be independent, I needed a car. Even though I also got my license when I turned 16, I didn't get a car until I was 20. After a few years of relying on others for rides, or busing to work, I really wanted a car. I've owned one ever since 1971, and wouldn't have had it any other way.

Boston has an excellent transit system and it gets me where I want to go....
I am very happy with our transit system. Due to the loss of my leg and my age as an elderly, I now can take "The Ride". So I get private transport wherever I want to go...
Boston used to have an excellent transit system. Now it's old, poorly maintained, and breaks down often. I hear those points brought up nearly every day on Boston news segments. Besides, the system is good only for those living along the line. For anyone outside of city center, most people need to drive into and out of Boston for work - a real adventure, from what I've heard.

Private transport is not the same as the public transit system. Be very thankful that you quality for such a privilege.

I figure that its getting close to stop driving time for Jeannie and myself..

I do not want to be one of the so many old people I know of who insist that they drive perfectly well as they drive their fender scuffed car out of the garage which has dings on both sides of the door..

Its only my opinion but, the % of really good drivers in their 80's is small. I drove a lot when in sales, with an almost perfect driving record. I know I'm not as alert as I once was and will have no problem giving it up.

Circumstances vary but I know what we will save in the costs of car ownership, will buy a lot of professional rides..

Ross

I do not want to be one of the so many old people I know of who insist that they drive perfectly well as they drive their fender scuffed car out of the garage which has dings on both sides of the door..

Its only my opinion but, the % of really good drivers in their 80's is small. I drove a lot when in sales, with an almost perfect driving record. I know I'm not as alert as I once was and will have no problem giving it up.

Circumstances vary but I know what we will save in the costs of car ownership, will buy a lot of professional rides..

Ross

My father turned in his license to the DMV on his own. He notice that he was driving way to slow for the safety of himself and others on the road.

Here in Boston, we have "The Ride", for elderly and handicap folks in need of transportation. The charge is minimal. It will take you anywhere you want to go that the "T" goes. Outside of that, the charge goes up slightly. The City also offers free transportation to Seniors. That service is mostly for medical appointments and grocery shopping. I also can use my Senior Discount and take my wheelchair or scooter on a public bus. But it is such a pain. I would rather use The Ride.

It appears that the nation as a whole is recognizing that Seniors are living longer and in need of services. From caregivers, health aides, transportation, etc.

I understand the feeling of losing ones independence. And as elderly, we tend to not like change in our lives. To lose ones freedom of driving can and often does feel like we are being singled out. Not always so. For those who are still driving well into their 70's and beyond, I can only pray that they are doing it safely.

Last edited:

Ross
Bravo, that you want to keep everyone safe. I figure, that as I get older, I will ask my doctor and maybe ask a driving school to give me a practice road test. I can imagine the possibility that I might over estimate my own abilities.

Back
Top Bottom