Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yahoo News is funny. They're often behind by a day reporting news. Here's a typical funny front page news I captured.

Western Digital Corp: Shares rise, Shares fall.

Untitled-news.jpg

I can't see how that giant company ever came up with their name. It's a popular Japanese made chocolate drink!

Last edited:
Hmm, I don;t find that all that odd.

I check the markets when they open in the morning as I'm winding down to try to go to sleep, then often get up just before the markets close for the day.

In years past, your screenshot would have been big news. Today, as volatile intra-day as the market has been, anyone's guess is as good as the other's.

I haven't checked it in a few days, and am trying not to do that multiple times a day. I'm going to continue to stick with it and ride it out. :)

Yeah, I wish I can just buy and hold and just forget about it.... :LOL:

You can. Look at Warren Buffet, he is a big believer in buying stocks in good companies, and holding those stocks. He hasn't done too bad.

CD
I used to think that was a good idea. I had shares in Corel, the software company. Thank goodness I had only invested as much as I was willing to lose (advice from Art Linkletter). The company went private and my shares were sold out from under me at a huge loss. Screw that nonsense.

I used to think that was a good idea. I had shares in Corel, the software company. Thank goodness I had only invested as much as I was willing to lose (advice from Art Linkletter). The company went private and my shares were sold out from under me at a huge loss. Screw that nonsense.

I worked in the software industry when Corel was a "hot" company. They were never going to make it big. The company I worked for was hot at the time, but never was going to make it big like Apple or Adobe. Adobe destroyed Corel in their market. There was a lot of speculating in the early years of the personal computer boom. I learned a lot as an insider. I didn't buy any stock in the companies I worked for or in partnership with back in those days. There were just too many companies fighting for the same small pie. Corel was definitely one of the companies I knew was going to lose in their market space. They were not a good company.

CD

You can. Look at Warren Buffet, he is a big believer in buying stocks in good companies, and holding those stocks. He hasn't done too bad.

CD

Well, yeah... Only had I not sold a coupe of hundred shares of Amazon about 20 years ago for a measly gain. But they only sold books back then so who knew...
But of course, I could say that about a lot of other stocks I sold waaay prematurely.... Holding on is hard to do... :LOL:

Well, yeah... Only had I not sold a coupe of hundred shares of Amazon about 20 years ago for a measly gain. But they only sold books back then so who knew...
But of course, I could say that about a lot of other stocks I sold waaay prematurely.... Holding on is hard to do... :LOL:

You, just like me, would be billionaires if we had time machines. Back in the day, there were stocks I sold way too soon... but, there are others I thank my lucky stars I sold before they tanked.

CD

When I worked for a pharmaceutical company, the first thing that would come up on the screen when you turned your computer on, was the stock for the company. If it had gone down, everyone was a nervous wreck thinking the company was going to fold that day.

SC looks out for me now. I don't even want to remember my "investment" with Martha!!! :wacko:

I am assuming you are referring to Martha Stewart. I can't stand her. She is a self proclaimed expert in everything. Years ago when she was first on the air, she constantly handled her hair and then the food. And you never see her taste her own cooking. Or anyone else's.

I do wish someone would pick out her clothing. The only reason I do watch her is I do get some ideas from her that I can twist to my liking. BTW, because she is so difficult to work with, she has been tossed of every major network. PBS is her last chance.

The other day I went to our local Frys/Krogers and found this in the Asian Aisle

IMG_3966.jpg
(sorry for the sideways photo, it won't turn for me)
WHOAH NELLIE! I thought to myself, that's expensive! $4.39 ??

Hawaiian Coconut Pudding (Haupia) (4 oz) - Noh Foods of Hawaii

I was right!
I buy a lot of Noh Foods of Hawaii and stash them away (aka hoard) :chef:
A family friend's family owns this company and I'm sure the markup is just for S&H from Hawaii.
So I showed this to my husband, because everytime time we go home to Oahu, I bring back an entire suitcase FULL of foods from Hawaii.
He said he won't get on me any more :king:

TV ads these days, wow. "It's not delivery, it's Digiorno's" ! Gimme a break, please!

How about..."It's not delivery, it's 15 chemical ingredients you can't even pronounce." (?)

I like how that company is now trying to take on freshly made pizza from pizza parlors, in their ads.
The bigger the lie, the more that people just might buy into it.

Nice try, Digiorno advertising people, pathetic..but nice try. Having your frozen pizza ads sounding better than pizza from pizza parlors.

Last edited:
I will take a freshly made pizza from any one of the local pizza shops that deliver in my neighborhood. And I too took two years of Latin and can pronounce the words without any hesitation. Just because I can pronounce the words, doesn't mean the ingredients are what I want in my system.

Back
Top Bottom