"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-04-2017, 07:28 AM   #6201
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ring of fire. So. Calif.
Posts: 2,243
There for the grace of all goes Addie. Hehe.
__________________

__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:52 AM   #6202
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Elizabeth City
Posts: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Aside from your one time only pain or antibiotic prescriptions I've never taken any long term meds in my entire life until, bang, all of a sudden, over night, I'm on 4 long term meds now! And now I'm shopping for pill boxes on Amazon? This is crazy.
I'm on 5 long-term meds and vitamins and also allergy meds at night, roadfix. You can find a pill box at Walmart cheaper than you can at Amazon. My mom and I both got our pill boxes at Walmart.
__________________

__________________
Cindi in NC
Just a crazy T-2 blonde!
Take life one day at a time - and what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. ( Unknown/Kelly Clarkson)
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #6203
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 19,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am not in the habit of ruining someone's career. Medical School costs too much. As long as I keep my eye on things, I am doing fine. I have a son who is my advocate. He practices medicine in the ER. So I report every thing to him.

I reported a doctor once. It cost him his career. And my son agreed with my decision. That was enough for me. My son has more knowledge on the subject than I do. I let him make the final decision on reporting anyone.
Blows me away that you would rather let a medical professional ruin people's health through malpractice than make an effort to stop them You're not his only patient, you know.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:33 AM   #6204
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ring of fire. So. Calif.
Posts: 2,243
Medicine is an art. Therefore you won't hear a dentist or doctor bashing one another. At least, that's what I've noticed.
__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #6205
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 42,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Medicine is an art. Therefore you won't hear a dentist or doctor bashing one another. At least, that's what I've noticed.
My PCP has no issue telling me to seek another specialist or if a doctor is not a good choice. It's his job to do so.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #6206
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 10,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmytunes View Post
I'm on 5 long-term meds and vitamins and also allergy meds at night, roadfix. You can find a pill box at Walmart cheaper than you can at Amazon. My mom and I both got our pill boxes at Walmart.
My dad had a couple of extras he picked up at a dollar store a few years back. I'm using that now and I feel so "organized" as I've never done this before....
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #6207
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 19,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Medicine is an art. Therefore you won't hear a dentist or doctor bashing one another. At least, that's what I've noticed.
Medicine is both an art and a science. Neither has anything to do with your second sentence. That's a non sequitur.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:59 PM   #6208
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Blows me away that you would rather let a medical professional ruin people's health through malpractice than make an effort to stop them You're not his only patient, you know.
I am not responsible for making decisions regarding other patients. My primary concern is my own health. If I feel that my care has been compromised, I notify my son and he finds out who his superior is and will talk to him. He has the means of finding out the name quickly. Something I would have difficulty with. My son is my medical advocate and I leave the final decision with him. He has a lot more ability and medical knowledge than I do. Caring for patients in the ER has given him knowledge far beyond what any young doctor who is on a rotation. ER medicine is my son's specialty. He sees things in the ER that would horrify an average person. So far he has not let me down.

As I stated before, I strongly believe that every person should be their own advocate. And if that is not possible, then they need to have one appointed. Preferably a close family member. I am also aware of the Privacy Act for Releasing a Patient's Medical Information. I don't have the right to interfere or even worry about the care of other patients. That is the patient's family responsibility.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #6209
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 20,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
My PCP has no issue telling me to seek another specialist or if a doctor is not a good choice. It's his job to do so.
As any good caring doctor would do. It is not just his job, but his compassion for his patient's health as well. Thank you Andy.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:26 PM   #6210
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 7,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am not responsible for making decisions regarding other patients. My primary concern is my own health. If I feel that my care has been compromised, I notify my son and he finds out who his superior is and will talk to him. He has the means of finding out the name quickly. Something I would have difficulty with. My son is my medical advocate and I leave the final decision with him. He has a lot more ability and medical knowledge than I do. Caring for patients in the ER has given him knowledge far beyond what any young doctor who is on a rotation. ER medicine is my son's specialty. He sees things in the ER that would horrify an average person. So far he has not let me down....
Curious, Addie....you've mentioned your son and his medical training often. Is he a doctor or P.A., or maybe an RN?
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.