Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have enuf problems with a new computer much less thinking of someone elses' hidden problems. A lemon is a lemon.

With all the thunder storms here power outages are just another hiccup to muddle thru. Last night the hiccup was from 7 to midnight. Came on just in time for me to lie in bed and wonder if all the lights (not on the generator grid) were turned off.

Computer/smart phone problems really suck because you become so dependent on them.

I recently had a problem with not being able to back up my laptop to an external hard drive. I contacted Apple Support and they advised me to reinstall MacOS. They sent me a link with the instructions. I started the process and got a message that there wasn't enough room on my hard drive. I was 2GB short. So I went into the details of my hard drive and deleted about 8GB of unneeded data. Tried the reinstall again and got the same message.

I set the problem aside for a week or so planning to re-contact Apple Support. Before I called again I gave the reinstall one more try and it worked! Back to normal and I can now back up weekly with no issues.

My wife had issue with her laptop being unable to connect to Wifi periodically last year and you had to reboot to resolve it...Was able to resolve it by getting this device for $15...WiFi USB adapter....
Yup, I did the reboot thing for a while, too. As soon as I started to read your post to Himself, who worked IT for nearly four decades, he chimed in with "yes, that should do it!" Now he's trying to think of what else he needs/wants from Amazon. We don't have Prime. [emoji38]

A guy showed up to plaster the walls in the basement. He showed up at 08h30. I let him in even though we had no warning he was coming. We have been dealing with the insurance about this basement repair since the water heater broke in January. I want this done ASAP. I checked my email. The email telling us that he would come today between 0900 and 1000 has a time stamp of 0651 today. Grrr

Now he's trying to think of what else he needs/wants from Amazon. We don't have Prime. [emoji38]

Do you like to watch movies/TV Shows? I think Prime is a great value when you get free shipping and movies/shows to watch. I can order stuff and not have to worry that it's only $10 instead of trying to hit the free shipping minimum. I also share the subscription with my parents so they can watch shows on their TV in FL.

bbq, we aren't much TV watchers. We did watch stuff on our TV from various websites when our tower computer was working. It died a while ago. Himself hasn't bothered fixing it because I don't watch online and he's happy enough with his big tablet.

Himself is like a Scout - always prepared.. He pulled this from his inventory:

Happy Independence Day

This morning I prayed for grace to be uplifted and inspired by exhortations and celebrations of patriotism,

strength to resist appeals and temptations to tribalism and nationalism,

and wisdom to tell the difference.

Would have been OK 'cept I heard the horses thumping down in the lower paddock , of course I had to go see. Was nothing.

Had been doing the goose pond so had no hat - big mistake.

We have a heat warning with humidex at 40.

and now I CAN'T FIND the ruddy remote for the Lennox!

How are yuh hanging in there taxy? Must be worse in town.

Last edited:
Would have been OK 'cept I heard the horses thumping down in the lower paddock , of course I had to go see. Was nothing.

Had been doing the goose pond so had no hat - big mistake.

We have a heat warning with humidex at 40.

and now I CAN'T FIND the ruddy remote for the Lennox!

How are yuh hanging in there taxy? Must be worse in town.

It's probably worse in town, but it's about the same out here in the 'burbs as you have. The air conditioner is having a hard time, but doing well enough.

So, I went to WalMart to pick up a couple of things, because it is really close. I'm walking in the door, and the greeter is asking a black customer for a receipt, and checking his bags. I've never seen a customer asked for a receipt at the WalMart in my suburban city.

When I went to leave, there was a bottleneck at the door while the same greeter checking the receipt of a hispanic family against two carts full of groceries. She then checked the receipt of a middle eastern looking guy.

When it was my turn, she waved me right through. She then waved through the other white guy in line behind me.

I passed the hispanic family in the parking lot, and they were talking and laughing at the experience as they loaded their groceries into their very nice, fairly new car.

I hope that greeter gets fired -- soon. That was profiling.

If I send my story to WalMart, do you think anything will happen?

CD

Sure sounds like profiling, CD, but your complaint will probably fall on deaf ears. :neutral: FWIW, I'm obviously white, old, and move slowly. Not a threat to stealing since any security person could outrun me. I got stopped at our local Wally World last time I shopped. After I did the receipt thing, I asked the clerk what would happen if I just waved and kept walking after he asked, flipping "I paid for it all" over my shoulder. He said he could do nothing, but then explained their policy. Did any of the people before you have items that were not in bags? And were all of your items in bags? He said that the policy is to stop anyone leaving with un-bagged merchandise as a check against the cashiers. Some cashiers have a habit of "missing" merchandise that is in the cart. Most likely done as a favor for a friend. It might be that they're more intent on catching shady cashiers that let their friends walk out with bonus merchandise than catching the random shoplifter.

Sure sounds like profiling, CD, but your complaint will probably fall on deaf ears. :neutral: FWIW, I'm obviously white, old, and move slowly. Not a threat to stealing since any security person could outrun me. I got stopped at our local Wally World last time I shopped. After I did the receipt thing, I asked the clerk what would happen if I just waved and kept walking after he asked, flipping "I paid for it all" over my shoulder. He said he could do nothing, but then explained their policy. Did any of the people before you have items that were not in bags? And were all of your items in bags? He said that the policy is to stop anyone leaving with un-bagged merchandise as a check against the cashiers. Some cashiers have a habit of "missing" merchandise that is in the cart. Most likely done as a favor for a friend. It might be that they're more intent on catching shady cashiers that let their friends walk out with bonus merchandise than catching the random shoplifter.

I bring my own IKEA insulated grocery bags into ever grocery store. They have a zipper on top. I had it over my shoulder, zipped shut, so there is no way the greeter could have any idea what was in it, and whether I paid for it.

So, no, I do not think it was a case of catching a shady cashier. This was a clear case of profiling, IMO.

That WalMart is in one of the wealthiest zip codes in Texas. My next door neighbors are black, and own a bigger house than mine, and a Mercedes E-Class. Thats a $60,000 car. That is not unusual in my town.

So, I was completely caught off guard when this greeter was stopping customers who weren't white. Like I said, I've never seen this before at this store. This greeter was clearly acting on her own. She needs to go.

CD

What about going directly to the manager? Believe it when letter can be answered but never acted on. Yet if you ALSO see the manager and mention a letter has gone out, something will be done.

I'd like to think someone would believe in bettering the situation by retraining and watching over her.

last night cut my finger on the mandolin :mad:

Right index, just the tip. Took 2 paper towels and alot of pressure to stem the blood flow lomg enuf to get a proper bandage on. then still had to wrap another paper towel over that and hog tie it with packing tape.

Can't type, can't hold the dremel, can't drain quail eggs, can't garden, cam't cook... but I can swear tho! Thank goodness no one lives within very loud swear hearing distance.

I rarely go to Walmart because there are none near me. Near means the same town or surrounding town. The few times I have shopped in one (Mass and NH), I don’t recall seeing a bag checker at the exit.

They do have a receipt checker at the BJs I go to. Never understood the point of their job.

I was recently stopped at Wal-Mart in Nebraska to have my receipt checked. Surprised me. I did have several unbagged items. I see no reason to waste a bag on Items that are large and contained in their own box or bag.

...They do have a receipt checker at the BJs I go to. Never understood the point of their job.

They have a receipt checker at Costco too. They tell you it's to make sure you got everything in the carriage that you paid for but I'm pretty sure they're looking for unpaid items.

Back
Top Bottom