Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think if you use Office365, it's auto-saved. Or maybe when it's saved to OneDrive. Good feature, in my opinion. Even if you don't save it and the computer crashes, there's usually a recovery file that has most of your content.
You're right, I forgot about that. I don't think that's the only version of Word/Office that does that. It's a habit I developed a long time ago [emoji2]

I use LibreOffice, and it saves automagically. It's not the same as actually saving, but if the computer crashes, it uses that auto-saved copy when you next open L.O. and asks if you want to recover the document. I like that better. Sometimes I make a big enough oops, that I would rather go back to the previous version that I intentionally saved.

I use Office365 where I purchase the family plan or about $80 year. It has 6 seats. Each account gets Office365 plus 1TB of OneDrive storage. It’s like getting Office for free and you get a good rate for cloud storage. Cheaper than iCloud or Google. If you store your office documents in OneDrive, you will get auto backups with revisions.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mic...-onedrive-version-history-support-file-types/

Closer than you but it's still far from me. Almost an hour away as it's the North Shore. I'm wondering if you were thinking of Boxboro which is next to my town of Acton. We almost never go to the North Shore but perhaps we should change it up?

Our usual IC places are Kimball's (Carlisle) and Erickson's (Maynard). We've also done Bedford Farms (Bedford/Concord), and Rancatore (Lexington). I would be interested in other recommendations that people have.
Benson's is in Boxford. (181 Washington St, Boxford, MA 01921). I hear you on the hour-long drive, though. Anything up that way is a long drive, even if you're going only 5-10 miles! If you're more to heading west, have you tried Rota Springs in Sterling? They have wonderful ice cream, huge portions, and on the good days you're upwind while watching the herd of cows that provided the cream. :LOL: So Very Good!

We have a place just over the state line, Bogey's Ice Cream at Thompson Speedway. There's also a golf course down that way. I keep telling Himself we should go to Bogey's since they're the only place we've found around here that sells his favorite. In OH it's called "Whitehouse". It's vanilla ice cream with maraschino cherries, whereas cherry-vanilla ice cream he's seen up here has bing cherries.

I use LibreOffice, and it saves automagically. It's not the same as actually saving, but if the computer crashes, it uses that auto-saved copy when you next open L.O. and asks if you want to recover the document. I like that better. Sometimes I make a big enough oops, that I would rather go back to the previous version that I intentionally saved.
2I use LibreOffice, too, now that I have been forced into retirement.

have you tried Rota Springs in Sterling? They have wonderful ice cream, huge portions, and on the good days you're upwind while watching the herd of cows that provided the cream. :LOL: So Very Good!

I will have to check out this place. It’s not too bad of a drive.

We have a place just over the state line, Bogey's Ice Cream at Thompson Speedway.

Interesting. I think that might be where my friend is going to drive his car next Monday. Either there or somewhere else in CT. I’ll have to ask him again which location. He has a high powered Mercedes coupe and likes to go to a track to be able to drive 120+mph.

That's so frustrating. You could type your post into Word, so you'll have it saved, and then copy & paste it into your blog post when it's done. Just remember to save it every few minutes ;) I got into that habit after losing a lot of typing on something many years ago.

Yes, when using Word, I used to save every 15 minutes. But since using Libre, I got out of the habit. It saves automatically every fifteen minutes or so.
Wordpress doesn't have an auto-save feature in it, and so, if I goof it up and lose it, then it's lost. I thought of the same thing you just posted; type it into my Libre tet editor, then copy and paste it into the wordpress blog post. It works, and I won't be losing anymore posts. Great minds (or is that like minds) think alike.

Thanks. Now if only I could make far fewer typo's. It wouldn't take me an hour to polish enough to publish.:LOL:

Oh, by the way, the last four posts in my blog have been about using less used veggies, if you're interested.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I have an antique version of MS Office (circa 2008). I turned off the auto save feature a long time ago and just got into he habit of saving periodically as I type. Honestly, computers don't crash all that often anymore so it's probably not an issue.

When typing longer posts etc., I often type into WORD, edit, then cut and paste to the website.

The Apple store told me you can no longer buy MS Office to download to your computer. You pay for a license to use it online.

I hav the Apple version of MS Office and I think I'll take a look at LibreOffice as a backup.

Last edited:
One of the things I like about Libre Office is that it can read and save in other formats. I also have the habit of saving, even when there is autosave. But, honestly, for a long post here or on Facebook, I'm more likely to use Edit Pad (similar to, but more functional than Note Pad). It's small enough that I have it open all the time.

One of the things I like about Libre Office is that it can read and save in other formats. I also have the habit of saving, even when there is autosave.
MS Word does the same.

But, honestly, for a long post here or on Facebook, I'm more likely to use Edit Pad (similar to, but more functional than Note Pad). It's small enough that I have it open all the time.
I sometimes use Evernote, especially for answers to common questions ;) I'm usually on my tablet rather than my laptop, so it's nice to use something that is available on all my devices.

In my profession, everyone uses Macs. Many of us have gone out of our way not to have any Microsloth software on our Macs. As a magazine art director, it used to annoy me to no end when somebody told me they did design work in MS Word. You don't do professional design work with a word processor. Advertisers would send me ads created in Word, and I would have to spend hours recreating their ads.

Since Steve Jobs died, using a Mac is not what it used to be. That would be my "petty vent." Yeah, I've read the stories, and he was an SOB, but his products worked. Now, I spend about the same amount of time that Windoze users spend just making my computer do what I need it to do.

CD

Interesting. I think that might be where my friend is going to drive his car next Monday.

Yup, that's where he drives. Thompson Speedway.

Benson's is in Boxford. If you're more to heading west, have you tried Rota Springs in Sterling?

We have a place just over the state line, Bogey's Ice Cream at Thompson Speedway.

I don't know if you had Kimball's but how do these places compare to it? I like the big portions that Kimball's gives so we just share the kid size between the two of us. Also, why is Benson's at the top of your list over Rota Springs or Bogey's?

The only negative that I have about Kimball's is that they don't have as many unique flavors like Erickson's (Maynard).

The Apple store told me you can no longer buy MS Office to download to your computer. You pay for a license to use it online.

The Apple store is wrong. You can still buy Office. You just need to get Office 2019 (or whatever is the current year) instead of Office365.

I keep telling people that Office365 is the way to go though unless you don't believe in cloud storage. I get 1TB of cloud storage for ~$20/year where I backup my photos and important documents. Office 365 is free.

I sometimes use Evernote, especially for answers to common questions ;) I'm usually on my tablet rather than my laptop, so it's nice to use something that is available on all my devices.

I use to use Evernote but made the switch to OneNote which is free. I dislike that Evernote's free version restrict you to two devices and you can only access it offline via desktop.

I use to use Evernote but made the switch to OneNote which is free. I dislike that Evernote's free version restrict you to two devices and you can only access it offline via desktop.

I have a thing about not putting all my eggs in one manufacturer's basket. I've been using Evernote for so long, I'm happy to pay for it, so I have it on all three of my devices.

I have a thing about not putting all my eggs in one manufacturer's basket. I've been using Evernote for so long, I'm happy to pay for it, so I have it on all three of my devices.

Not having everything in one company's basket sounds very reasonable to me. If one company were to go under or be badly cyber attacked, it would be good not to lose everything.

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. All my 'eggs' and in the Apple basket. SO and I have iPhones, and iPad and a MacBook Air.

Over the years I've used both Apple and Windows PCs at different jobs. I must say my experience with Apple products has been super and much easier to use than Windows products. I know this is just my opinion and it will differ from others'.

Himself always tells me that people who prefer fidgeting with their devices favor Windows/Android devices. Apple people prefer factory-set-and-forget. Different strokes for different folks, right?

I have tech support in-house, so I like what he likes. :LOL:

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. All my 'eggs' and in the Apple basket. SO and I have iPhones, and iPad and a MacBook Air.

Over the years I've used both Apple and Windows PCs at different jobs. I must say my experience with Apple products has been super and much easier to use than Windows products. I know this is just my opinion and it will differ from others'.

Himself always tells me that people who prefer fidgeting with their devices favor Windows/Android devices. Apple people prefer factory-set-and-forget. Different strokes for different folks, right?

I have tech support in-house, so I like what he likes. [emoji38]

I started working with Windows/WordPerfect/Lotus 1-2-3/ Presentations in the late '80s, and I used Paintshop Pro for image editing and WordPerfect for publication design before Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign existed. (I worked for a nonprofit and yes, it was a struggle [emoji38].) I started doing Windows tech support as part of my job in the early '90s, then became a network administrator and website designer, developer and manager. I am my own tech support.

I used a Mac in a product design class once and hated it [emoji38] I found it the least intuitive interface I had ever encountered.

I bought an Android phone because I was familiar with Windows and because so many iPhone apps cost money.

Last edited:
All my computers are Macs. That's what my customers use, and expect me to use.

Adobe is trying to get everyone moved to their "Creative Cloud" for a monthly fee. Adobe CC looks way different than previous standalone CS software. I don't really want to relearn my software. Plus, it won't run on my oldest Mac -- but Apple will gladly sell me a new Mac (that won't run my old software.:mad:

CD

I agree that Apple has a good user experience. I had one of the first Macs when I was in college but when I started working, there were no Macs in the professional world. It was all Unix & PCs. So I had to switch to PCs and been using them ever since. I'm sure if I wanted to, I could go back to a Mac. There are lots more people using them in the corporate world now than 10+ years ago.

I use iPad/iPhone and Windows desktops. I did use a Windows phone for 4 years to be different (still was always using iPad). But support dwindled over time and I switched to iPhone. I like how the phone rarely crashes and the iOS app experience is very good. So yes, $1200 was a lot to drop on the iPhone XS Max but I'm happy with it.

I used a Mac in a product design class once and hated it [emoji38] I found it the least intuitive interface I had ever encountered.

I bought an Android phone because I was familiar with Windows and because so many iPhone apps cost money.

I think once you got use to a Mac, you would find it intuitive. Using it in a class would not give you enough experience. You have to use it day-in/day-out.

Not sure how Android is similar to Windows. Can you elaborate? I think it's closer to iOS than Windows phone/desktop. Yes, you can get a launcher/widget so you can have that Windows phone look if desired.

Also, apps generally cost about the same on iOS/android.

Back
Top Bottom