Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So sorry Taxi and Chief....yikes. This is not the time of year to have vents such as those, but I guess it's never a 'good' time. Hope it gets better....

Thanks Cheryl.

And sorry to hear that Chief. I hope the foot is feeling better soon and you figure out how to get stuff done.

I just need to find the part number for my stove. Then I can purchase a new hot surface igniter. That will fix the oven. I also need to purchase a nee ovem light bulb. As always, I will survube.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

It's pffical. There will beno Christmas at my house this year. Cant't even get the fake tree up. The cookies I made, the wife ate half of them, after complaining about the frosting I used on them. She and Youngest son started fighting again, over trivial things, such that he wants nothing to do with or home, or his mother. I'm tired of the drama, and no one wanting to find solutions. Each just wants there way, and put me i the middle. No matter what i say, I'm wrong to one of them. It'ss not bad enough that the oven quit working, i'm going to wound care and sitting in a wheelchair, and have failed kidneys. Nope, that's not enough. They have to up the stress ust that much more, each insisting that i'm wrong for supporting the other.l The sad part is that I can't toss either of them out on their ears. He's my son, and she's my dependent wife.

Ok, I'm done venting for now.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwindf the North

I believe we have all vented about this before and I'm pretty sure I have but I need to vent again.

1. What is with bloggers (particularly food types) that everything is in pale grey or blue type? I can hardly read a word. My eyes ache from squinting! Printing their recipes is also in the same pale colour.

2. Many do not have a "jump to recipe" spot. Meaning you have to scroll down for absolutely ages to find it. This is particularly important when you are returning to a blog. You've already read all their oohs, ahhs, best ever, trust me..., even the picky kids will... I just want to check something in the recipe!

3. The same picture at least half a dozen times. I love to see the food and the preps but not the same picture at different angles and size.

4. Ads on their web-site that takes up more than half the screens.

Thank you for listening... and if you're a blogger, pick up your socks.

I believe we have all vented about this before and I'm pretty sure I have but I need to vent again.

1. What is with bloggers (particularly food types) that everything is in pale grey or blue type? I can hardly read a word. My eyes ache from squinting! Printing their recipes is also in the same pale colour.

2. Many do not have a "jump to recipe" spot. Meaning you have to scroll down for absolutely ages to find it. This is particularly important when you are returning to a blog. You've already read all their oohs, ahhs, best ever, trust me..., even the picky kids will... I just want to check something in the recipe!

3. The same picture at least half a dozen times. I love to see the food and the preps but not the same picture at different angles and size.

4. Ads on their web-site that takes up more than half the screens.

Thank you for listening... and if you're a blogger, pick up your socks.
I have the same problem with font color/size.

Two things I do:

From phone or computer:
I use the Copy Me That app. You can use it on your phone or desktop browser. All recipes carry over/sync to both. You can just click the Copy Me That Icon button at top of the page (no scrolling needed, just be sure to click show more if necessary so whole recipe is open ) and it goes to the app in a standard font and black color. You can also download all the recipes to your computer.

OR

From computer browser:
Copy the recipe text and paste it into a New Notepad page. It goes to the Notepad in a standard font and black color. Print from there

Last edited:
I have the same problem with font color/size.

From computer browser:
Copy the recipe text and paste it into a New Notepad page. It goes to the Notepad in a standard font and black color. Print from there

That's what I do for recipes I want...

I tried to get Copy Me That on my new laptop and for some reason it didn't work.. I know its a "me" glitch and I'll figure it out someday..

Ross

That's what I do for recipes I want...

I tried to get Copy Me That on my new laptop and for some reason it didn't work.. I know its a "me" glitch and I'll figure it out someday..

Ross

What browser are you using? I couldn't get it to work in FireFox for a while, but it was working fine in Chrome. I eventually figured it out. FF has built in tracking protection. Many of the food sites have tracking that FF protects you from. If I turn off tracking protection, I can get Copy Me That to work with those sites.

Since I want to have the tracking protection, I have to remember to turn it back on once the recipe is copied. I wish they would let me turn it off for "just this one time", so it would switch back on when I close the tab.

A lot of the 'print' functions for these recipes print in a manner I do not wish. I copy and paste into Word and format from there, save to my recipe file.

BUT... this is only for recipes that I want to keep. Certainly not for all the recipes I read. It is the reading to figure out if I even want to keep the recipe in the first place that the frustrations occur.

The few that format their printed recipe in a manner acceptable to me are almost always one that are in pale print, which I cannot change in the print function. The others do not include the picture of the dish, which is pretty mandatory for me. (I tell people I'm from Missouri - "Show Me") (LOL - and not too many people get it)

What browser are you using? I couldn't get it to work in FireFox for a while, but it was working fine in Chrome. I eventually figured it out. FF has built in tracking protection. Many of the food sites have tracking that FF protects you from. If I turn off tracking protection, I can get Copy Me That to work with those sites.

Since I want to have the tracking protection, I have to remember to turn it back on once the recipe is copied. I wish they would let me turn it off for "just this one time", so it would switch back on when I close the tab.

Well heck... I do use FF and I also have Adblock Plus...

I think I'll just pass then as the protections keep my blood pressure down and I like that... ;)

Thank you for the information... :)

Ross

Dragn, I've gotten to the point in my life where I figure if a food blog isn't user friendly to me, the recipes can't be all that good. [emoji16] I just move along. I get really annoyed by those with videos that cover a third of my phone screen and are darned near impossible to close. Instead, when you tap on the "x", it opens up to full screen! Grrrrr...

Hi, just wondering if I am doing everything right. I know I don't post pictures with my recipes, but is everything else ok?

Meaning of course, if I post recipes that anyone likes enough to copy. lol

Last edited:
Well heck... I do use FF and I also have Adblock Plus...

I think I'll just pass then as the protections keep my blood pressure down and I like that... ;)

Thank you for the information... :)

Ross

You could just open it in Chrome and grab the recipe. Then you close Chrome and they won't be able to track you. It's only when you go to other websites that they can track you. ;) Well, I suppose the cookie is still there the next time you open Chrome, but if you don't do anything important like shopping, banking, or use any sites where you give any personal info, I don't think it's an issue. You could also clear the cookies, but that's as much effort as I go through switching the tracking protection back on.

A lot of the 'print' functions for these recipes print in a manner I do not wish. I copy and paste into Word and format from there, save to my recipe file.

BUT... this is only for recipes that I want to keep. Certainly not for all the recipes I read. It is the reading to figure out if I even want to keep the recipe in the first place that the frustrations occur.

The few that format their printed recipe in a manner acceptable to me are almost always one that are in pale print, which I cannot change in the print function. The others do not include the picture of the dish, which is pretty mandatory for me. (I tell people I'm from Missouri - "Show Me") (LOL - and not too many people get it)
The print function has a setting where you can tell it to print in black and white. Select this and the text will print in black.

While reading, if you highlight the text with your mouse, it will be more readable.

The print function has a setting where you can tell it to print in black and white. Select this and the text will print in black.

While reading, if you highlight the text with your mouse, it will be more readable.
+2 Yes I do this also.

Yes my print function has that setting - but I can't separate from the picture - it will be all in black with grey tone picture or pale print with colour pic.

Thanks for the tip to highlight... I'll give that a try.

CG - yup, like you I'm quick to dump a page that's annoying, too bad, so sad, bye bye!

Regarding oil sprays, I'm in the UK where I don't think we have the Pam brand. The problem happens whether the container is full or almost empty despite shaking. It's quite random - will spray fine once - next time nothing.

Occasionally I have taken the lid off the spray container and just poured the oil over the frying pan, but that's impossible with one particular container.

Gillian

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom