"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #6291
Head Chef

Very true Andy... assuming one reads the instructions.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:43 AM   #6292
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
All products are now downsized. And it is always some odd size or weight that makes it more difficult for a diabetic to keep track of their intake of carbs.
I know, Addie - I have an app on my phone that I can type something in and it will give me the nutrition info. I also have a web site on the PC that I use to store my notes (meds, bs readings, and meals) and can print them out if I want to for Dr appointments.

cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #6293
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmytunes View Post
I know, Addie - I have an app on my phone that I can type something in and it will give me the nutrition info. I also have a web site on the PC that I use to store my notes (meds, bs readings, and meals) and can print them out if I want to for Dr appointments.
I am terrible at taking my sugar readings. I do them when there is a commercial on regarding a diabetic product. Or someone mentions it. (Be right back, have to do a sugar reading.)

I am back. 137. Not bad considering I just ate some scrambled eggs with some caramelized Vidalia onions for breakfast. When I get around to it, I enter my numbers into a Windows Calc program. Then print it out whenever I have an appointment for Winthrop. I have just one column for "Date Last Printed." That way I am not wasting paper printing the whole thing every time. Winthrop has given up trying to get me to test my sugar more often and on a regular basis. Two or three times a week is enough for me. And they accept that.

I have a program that when I plug my glucometer in, it reads all my readings and all the other information pertinent to what Winthrop needs to know. But it doesn't show in figures my information. It is in all charts. So I don't use it at all.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:27 AM   #6294
Sous Chef

Addie, I guess that because I'm on insulin I feel like I need to be more detailed in my readings and such. On my next appointment my PCP and I have some things to discuss. I want to switch from a pre-mixed insulin to a long acting and rapid acting separately. I tend to be high in the mornings and low in the evenings. I'm going to print out things from the last 3 months and show them to her and maybe it will help illustrate why I want to switch.
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #6295
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmytunes View Post
Addie, I guess that because I'm on insulin I feel like I need to be more detailed in my readings and such. On my next appointment my PCP and I have some things to discuss. I want to switch from a pre-mixed insulin to a long acting and rapid acting separately. I tend to be high in the mornings and low in the evenings. I'm going to print out things from the last 3 months and show them to her and maybe it will help illustrate why I want to switch.
You're doing the right thing. My aunt had Type 1 diabetes and she checked her sugar four or five times a day. She lived much longer than her doctors expected because she was so diligent about it.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:27 AM   #6296
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
CO detectors usually come with instructions to mount them 2ft.-3ft. off the floor.

Our neighbors' lives were saved by CO detectors a few years ago. Husband, wife and two children.

MA requires one on every level.
keep a 9v battery around, just to stop the beep... ...the beep!
Old 06-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #6297
Certified Pretend Chef

More than a dozen years ago, MA made CO detectors mandatory. I went out and bought three, one for each level of the home.

They are set up so that, after 10 years in place, a beeping starts that cannot be stopped. It appears the useful life is 10 years and you HAVE TO replace the devices.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #6298
Head Chef

Quote:
More than a dozen years ago, MA made CO detectors mandatory. I went out and bought three, one for each level of the home.

They are set up so that, after 10 years in place, a beeping starts that cannot be stopped. It appears the useful life is 10 years and you HAVE TO replace the devices.
My hard wired Smoke/CO detector with battery backup will beep when it itself is on it's last legs? I should say so!
Old 06-22-2017, 05:25 PM   #6299
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
My hard wired Smoke/CO detector with battery backup will beep when it itself is on it's last legs? I should say so!
We have hard wired smoke detectors but there's no battery backup and they are silent unless I'm cooking!
Old 06-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #6300
Head Chef

Quote:
We have hard wired smoke detectors but there's no battery backup and they are silent unless I'm cooking!
Before using my stove top grill (no outside grill) I have to close the hall door or noise ensues...

Ross