Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
and then there are the ones who, for whatever reason, don't turn them off.

Ever wonder why I don't pull out in front of when someone indicates they are turning, because they sometimes don't!

So I wait to see if they really are going to.

and then there are the ones who, for whatever reason, don't turn them off.

Ever wonder why I don't pull out in front of when someone indicates they are turning, because they sometimes don't!

So I wait to see if they really are going to.

Agreed! And sometimes they turn the opposite of their signal!

I was in a full sized van, at a 3-way stop light, with wife and kids in the van, windows up, and air cinditioner runnig. I had my side mirrors set to see te [he lanes to the right and left of the lane I was in, using the rear view mirror to see what's behind me. It eliminates all blind spots when set up correctly.

Anyway, the light was red, and I was going to make a right hand turn, as to the right of me was a gravel shoulder, and then a ditch. Just before I put my foot on the gas pedal, I heard a noise. Seconds before, I'd checked both mirrors, and all was clear. I glanced at the right hand mirror again and saw some fool kid on a dirt bike pop up from the ditch, and onto the shoulder, right at the rear of my van. He hit the throttle hard, and passed me on the right, failing to yield right of way. Had I not heard him because of the vehicle, passenger, or If I'd have had the radio on, I would have turned and he would have collided with me. He was a very fortunate young man that day.

Another crazy encounter:
Driving in a 30 mph zone, on a 4 lane city street, with street parking, I noticed out of the corner of my eye a young teen running on the sidewalk to the right of me, and a little ways ahead. There were three other boys chasing him, and it was obvious that the first boy was running from the the other three. The feeling struck me that the first boy was going to dart out into the street at a full run, from between parked cars. I slowed dow, just in case. Sure enough, not ten feet in front of me, he shot between cars and into the street. I was easily able to stop, while at the same time blocking the traffic from behind me.

The moral of this, and many other similar experiences I've had, is to know what's going on around you when driving. Expect the unexpected, and for others to do stupid things. If you are watching, and prepared, it can save a lot of pain. I can't tell you how many times that someone has pulled out right in front of me from side streets, and I had to take emergency tactics, on icy roads, to avoid a collision, just to see them turn off a block or so further down the street, usually, with no vehicles behind me. Had they waited another 5 seconds, there would have been no issues.

I expect people to do stupid things. If they drive intelligently, then they have my respect. If they do the stupid thing, I'm ready.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Kinda my vent, but really more so DH's ...

My Mother is now living with us and it's been two weeks.
I mostly cook three squares a day and just about everything goes
into the automatic dishwasher.
One of DH's "household chores" is to empty and put away the clean dishes.
He's been none too happy about that `cuz it's been needing to
be done every other day now :LOL:

DH: HEH! How come I have to do this?
Moi: Because that's your job Dear
DH: Nah, I think you should do it every other time
:blink:
Moi: Okay then, you can cook every other meal
DH: Now, where does this dish go?
:ROFLMAO:

(I don't want Mom doing that because she has such bad
arthritis in her hands, it would just aggravate it)

Kinda my vent, but really more so DH's ...

My Mother is now living with us and it's been two weeks.
I mostly cook three squares a day and just about everything goes
into the automatic dishwasher.
One of DH's "household chores" is to empty and put away the clean dishes.
He's been none too happy about that `cuz it's been needing to
be done every other day now :LOL:

DH: HEH! How come I have to do this?
Moi: Because that's your job Dear
DH: Nah, I think you should do it every other time
:blink:
Moi: Okay then, you can cook every other meal
DH: Now, where does this dish go?
:ROFLMAO:

(I don't want Mom doing that because she has such bad
arthritis in her hands, it would just aggravate it)

We have a similar system. I cook, DH deals with the dishes, any which way he chooses. Except, if he isn't 100% sure where something goes, he just sets it on the cooktop. Well, theoretically, that's the way it is supposed to work. Hey, we've been in the house since January 2012, one would think he would have learned where everything goes by now? Sigh.

I do most of the cooking and almost all of the dishwashing, though DH puts most of it away. When we were both working, it was shared a little more evenly. When DH retires (I'm already retired), it will be dishwashing for the person who didn't cook.

I do most of the cooking and almost all of the dishwashing, though DH puts most of it away. When we were both working, it was shared a little more evenly. When DH retires (I'm already retired), it will be dishwashing for the person who didn't cook.

Certainly seems more than fair to me!

That said, my personal observation is that relationships are really NOT 50/50. And, to have them work well, we need to embrace that. Some days it might be 50/50...other days it will be 80/20 or 100/0 and then it goes the other way, 0/100, 30/70...does that make sense? I guess, I'm saying, if you don't expect 50/50 and are willing to go 100/0, chances are you'll get some very happy surprises and life will be good.

Ugh. Too philosophical! Ha, ha.

It seems like in our house Himself's job is to rest for me. [emoji1] I cook, I clean up from cooking, I do all the prep work. And all shopping. And laundry. And housework. At least Himself does the outdoor grilling and taking the garbage out. Basically, Himself is just a larger version of one of our dearly departed kitties. [emoji38]

Certainly seems more than fair to me!

That said, my personal observation is that relationships are really NOT 50/50. And, to have them work well, we need to embrace that. Some days it might be 50/50...other days it will be 80/20 or 100/0 and then it goes the other way, 0/100, 30/70...does that make sense? I guess, I'm saying, if you don't expect 50/50 and are willing to go 100/0, chances are you'll get some very happy surprises and life will be good.

Ugh. Too philosophical! Ha, ha.

Definitely needs flexibility. But, remembering to try to keep it at around 50/50 is a good idea. When I was bedridden with a bad back, it was definitely 0/100. Poor man was working full time, cooking, washing the dishes, and waiting on me hand and foot. Okay, there were a LOT of delivery meals, but I didn't have to do anything but help choose. Everything had to be brought upstairs, so I could eat in bed. That lasted a few weeks.

Now, there are often days when it depends on who is feeling good. One of us is very low on spoons, or has an arthritis flare, or a migraine, or whatever, then the other one puts in more effort. If you like your buddy, then you want it to be as fair as possible and if both of you do, then you can work it out.

*ARGH*

I ordered new Patio Furniture at the beginning of April,
that I paid for, in full, big bucks I might add.
There has been nothing but delays.
I understand that this past 2 years has been very
difficult for businesses, but ...
I have had to be the one following up on my order,
rather than that company contacting me.
August 30th, I FINALLY get an email that my order is
being shipped via UPS Ground Freight-curbside delivery-no extra charge.
When I went to the UPS.com website, it is to be delivered sometime
this next Tuesday.
Something in the back of my head screamed, check with UPS again...
It's an hour away from our home,
RIGHT NOW!!!

I went to UPS's live chat site and asked if I was going to receive
a phone call to set up our delivery ...
NOPE!
I was told that I need to watch the website for a "scan-out for delivery" which would include a date and time :ermm:

I'm super P.O.'d :mad::angry::evil::censored:

So our Patio Furniture was delivered late this afternoon ...
I had my mental check list (we ordered from this company before)
1) did we get the correct number of boxes - check
2) are all of the parts present and accounted for - check

Let's assemble then!
:clap:

Side Table went together in nothing flat - yay!
I get the first chair put together all the way to the last screw ...
There's no pilot hole, I can't get that last screw in - AT ALL!!!
Both chairs that we ordered came the same way - design flaw?
:mad:
Of course, the delivery came after the company's phone lines closed for the day, of course!
I knew, just knew that something would go wrong and it did!
I'm so very, upset, disappointed, angry and most all tired... I didn't sleep at all last night
a) not knowing what time the delivery would be so I was up and atam well before me usual
b) it's so bleedin' hot and mosquito-y that we have the buggers in the house!!!

Well THAT sucks, K-Girl. Sure hope they can give you some sort of compensation to make up for your trouble. Meanwhile, do you have a drill and bit you can use to start your own tiny pilot hole?

Well THAT sucks, K-Girl. Sure hope they can give you some sort of compensation to make up for your trouble. Meanwhile, do you have a drill and bit you can use to start your own tiny pilot hole?

CG, that was my first thought of drilling my own pilot, but these are made of a very hard plastic from recycled milk jugs and I felt that I may damage the arm.

I just finished up a live chat with their Customer Service and I was told not to attempt the drilling, that they would manufacture 4 new arms for us and expedite that 'warranty order'.
As to compensation, I asked four different ways and each time was knocked down.
That's unfortunate, I was going place another order for more matching furniture, but you know that ain't gonna happen now!
This is my second order with this company and you would think that they would have at least approved a credit towards a future order... :glare:

Ya know, I worked in Customer Service for many years and I would never had handled that situation in that way, NEVER!

We have a similar system. I cook, DH deals with the dishes, any which way he chooses. Except, if he isn't 100% sure where something goes, he just sets it on the cooktop. Well, theoretically, that's the way it is supposed to work. Hey, we've been in the house since January 2012, one would think he would have learned where everything goes by now? Sigh.

My DW does dishes and puts them away. Our rule is - if you can't reach it, just leave it on the counter and I'll get it. She seems to be getting shorter and shorter.....

My DW does dishes and puts them away. Our rule is - if you can't reach it, just leave it on the counter and I'll get it. She seems to be getting shorter and shorter.....

BAHAHA!
That's happening here as well.
If DH sees me getting out the tall step stool, he panics!
"I'll do that! If you can't reach it, ask me, I'll get it for you."
DH is a good foot taller than myself :)

FADS make me crazy. Once someone finds a good thing it ends up everywhere to the point of madness.

For example, Oreos are NOT an ingredient! They're a cookie. Eat them with milk. End of story.

However, this time of year brings a special kind of hell. Pumpkin spice. ARRGHH!

There are only two things that should be pumpkin flavored:

il_794xN.2541411811_juyt.jpg

2020_05_26T17_28_09_mrs_ImageRecipes_32372lrg_448_448.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom