Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The pre-teen, tanager years. Children begin to feel that they are adult enough to make decisions. Those decisions are often wrong, due to inexperience, being naïve, not enough life experience, and peer pressure, not to mention the intense desire to expand into what is perceived as a more fulfilling life. As parents/grandparents, we try to guide, and help the pre-teen/teen adjust their behaviors, desires, to give them the best chance of life success, growth, while maintaining their personal safety. They argue with false, and ineffective logic, all the time believing that they are correct, and that we are just behind the times, not understanding that what we have experienced in life is pretty much what they are now experiencing.

It is a necessary period, but can be frustrating for both the parents, and children. I often wish there was an easier way. But when it's over, if the parent has done their job, usually you end up with a bond between children, and parents that is amazing, and so worth the effort put in.

And yes, I am a believer in the traditional family, with both husband and wife. Both the mother, and father have something to give the child, which gives that child the benefit of two loving parents, and two experienced perspectives.

I know that this isn't always possible, and sometimes the mother, or father become the sole parent, and can successfully raise children. And I applaud those parents.

My other gripe is seeing parents who do nothing but scream at their children, instead of trying to teach them, and build the child's sense of self worth.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Hmmm...I'll add to that, I'm totally unnerved by the parents that bring small children to public places and let them scream their heads off, while they are oblivious to the sound. That was not acceptable, years ago.

The last time I remember anyone doing anything about the racket, was in a small restaurant in L.A.. A movie star and her friend were having lunch at the table next to us. Next to their table, a couple brought their toddler along and let him scream. The movie star went and said something to the waiter and presto, the couple with screaming child were asked to leave. That was back around 1980. Different these days.

I'm kinda with you on tht Andy, but I do like to decorate with them in the Fall. I have a lot of pumpkin decorations and sometimes I buy the live, mini pumpkins too. When Stanley was just a puppy, I gave him one to play with and caught the action...

You pup is cute with that pumpkin. I have no issue with pumpkin decorations.

Hmmm...I'll add to that, I'm totally unnerved by the parents that bring small children to public places and let them scream their heads off, while they are oblivious to the sound. That was not acceptable, years ago.

The last time I remember anyone doing anything about the racket, was in a small restaurant in L.A.. A movie star and her friend were having lunch at the table next to us. Next to their table, a couple brought their toddler along and let him scream. The movie star went and said something to the waiter and presto, the couple with screaming child were asked to leave. That was back around 1980. Different these days.

When one of my girls was fussy in a restaurant when they had not yet reached the age when you can reason with them, I took her outside and we walked around. People go to restaurants for an enjoyable experience, not to listen to other peoples' kids. Parents need to be responsible.

FADS make me crazy. Once someone finds a good thing it ends up everywhere to the point of madness.

For example, Oreos are NOT an ingredient! They're a cookie. Eat them with milk. End of story.

However, this time of year brings a special kind of hell. Pumpkin spice. ARRGHH!

There are only two things that should be pumpkin flavored:

View attachment 48785

View attachment 48784

I used to purchase mini pumpkins, remove the top, and seeds, cut jack-o-lantern faces in them, then rub butter, pumpkin pie spice (my blend), and sugar inside, then bake them.. Each of my children got their own pumpkin pie flavored pumpkin, which was a great way to get them to eat this nourishing winter squash. I've also done this for friends when sharing a Halloween meal. It's always a hit.

I've also turned excess pumpkin pie filling into waffle batter by adding egg, flour, and baking powder. That also goes over well, especially with whipped cream

FADS make me crazy. Once someone finds a good thing it ends up everywhere to the point of madness.

For example, Oreos are NOT an ingredient! They're a cookie. Eat them with milk. End of story.

However, this time of year brings a special kind of hell. Pumpkin spice. ARRGHH!

There are only two things that should be pumpkin flavored:

View attachment 48785

View attachment 48784

+3 Andy!
good example.... cauliflower belongs on the vegie dish - NOT under a pizza!

Actually, I make ONE exception for cauliflower. Pickles. My parents used to make gallon jars of mixed vegetable pickles every Fall. Cauliflower was the most wanted veggie. My sister and I used to fight over it. Then, when I made pickles, my kids fought over the cauliflower. They actually campaigned for all cauliflower pickles.

Petty vent - last night was rough. Today, at 6 a.m., I feel a tough nauseated, and I haven't even gone to dialysis yet, and I have a sour throat from vomiting last night. I hate feeling so lousy.

Chief, rooting for you!

I want to go to Manadalar, a hot mineral lake in one of my novels, a place where dragons go to soak and heal. The mineral content of the water refreshes the body, is antiseptic, and cleans wounds, and enhances the immune system.

In my novel, dragons and rocs are mortal enemies, each attempting to control the skies, both being powerful, but with different strengths. Manandalar is a magical place for dragons, its location carefully guarded.

I would enjoy some of the healing devices available in that novel. Ah, but it's only fantasy.

Believe Chief, believe!

Long ago, while practicing my first flames, I foolishly injured myself. My ancient mentor took me there to heal.

Believe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom