Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Feeling somewhat better tonight. Slept 2 hours on dialysis, and then another5 hour nap when I got home. Now, my lower abdomen just needs to cooperate with my desires:LOL:.

Dragon, Have you ever met Trok at Manandolar. As the Mother of dragons, she's fearsome when protecting dragons, but loving and gentle with her children. Eventually, she and the most powerful roc, Melna Tor Kara develop a truce between them, and with the humans. Trok is pretty amazing.

Oh, and did you know that dragons come to me for my Raging Bull Salsa. It's where They get their fire.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I'm trying to send mail throgh USPS to a company for replacement of a bad part. The company is in New Zealand. I'm using the click n ship online option with a flat rate padded envelope. So after waiding through the process, I got my mailing label printed, but it says - "Mot Valid for Proof Of Payment for US Postage" on the label, even though I just paid USPS $40 for this. Now, I;m awaiting call back from USPS to figure out how to put proof on the envelope that this is all paid.

Oh, and wife is officially defined as an endless money black hole.

So our Patio Furniture was delivered late this afternoon ...
I had my mental check list (we ordered from this company before)
1) did we get the correct number of boxes - check
2) are all of the parts present and accounted for - check

Let's assemble then!
:clap:

Side Table went together in nothing flat - yay!
I get the first chair put together all the way to the last screw ...
There's no pilot hole, I can't get that last screw in - AT ALL!!!
Both chairs that we ordered came the same way - design flaw?
:mad:
Of course, the delivery came after the company's phone lines closed for the day, of course!
I knew, just knew that something would go wrong and it did!
I'm so very, upset, disappointed, angry and most all tired... I didn't sleep at all last night
a) not knowing what time the delivery would be so I was up and atam well before me usual
b) it's so bleedin' hot and mosquito-y that we have the buggers in the house!!!

IMG_0897.jpg

The replacement arms to our two patio chairs arrived this morning via FedEx ground.
The delivery driver simply placed a huge box on our front patio and left!
No knock, no doorbell ring, nothing!
It just so happened that DH was leaving for the post office when he saw the trucking driving away... glad he went to check.

Delivery people not ringing the doorbell before they leave is one of my pet peeves. DH ordered stuff from Amazon. We only knew it had been delivered because he got some sort of confirmation of email on the computer. We went to look and there was nothing there. The confirmation included a picture of our front door and street number as well as the package.

I placed an order with a company in Toronto. I have been dealing with them for several years. The parcel was sent using Canada Post. It needed a signature. No doorbell ringing. Just got a notification that they hadn't been able to deliver my package and that I could pick it up at the post office, starting next biz day and for 10 or 15 biz days following. If I hadn't wanted the convenience of home delivery, I would have bought the stuff locally. Actually, I suspect that the posty didn't even walk to my door. The paper version of the delivery notification was in my locked mailbox near the sidewalk. (It's a community mailbox with individual, locked mailboxes and a couple of parcel lockers.) They used to hang those notifications on my door handle.

Taxlady, might you consider a Skybell Video Doorbell or similar product (Ring, Simplisafe etc)? Even if they don't ring it, it sends a notice to your cell phone. If they do ring it, you can talk to them via your phone (love that commercial where the lady says she's bathing the children right now!) You can also just look at the porch to see what's there.

I also have USPS Informed Delivery. I don't know if there's a similar thing in Canada. The Informed Delivery sends me an email each morning showing me scans of what mail I'll get that day and a package ID # for any packages. It also allows me to submit a message when I do NOT receive an item scheduled for that day.

Taxlady, might you consider a Skybell Video Doorbell or similar product (Ring, Simplisafe etc)? Even if they don't ring it, it sends a notice to your cell phone. If they do ring it, you can talk to them via your phone (love that commercial where the lady says she's bathing the children right now!) You can also just look at the porch to see what's there.

I also have USPS Informed Delivery. I don't know if there's a similar thing in Canada. The Informed Delivery sends me an email each morning showing me scans of what mail I'll get that day and a package ID # for any packages. It also allows me to submit a message when I do NOT receive an item scheduled for that day.

It's definitely worth considering the video camera thingee. I'll have to check how close to the door someone has to get for it to go off. I don't have a porch. I have a townhouse in a condo association. The walk way is right up to my front door and front wall. That's like having the sidewalk right up against my house. A fare number of people walk past my door in a day. I could be getting notifications quite frequently.

But, honestly, why should I have to buy something, when they are supposed to ring the doorbell? Also, there are some security concerns with those video systems that notify your cell phone.

Also, there are some security concerns with those video systems that notify your cell phone.

What issues? We have one, haven't heard of any.

UPS, etc. never noticed if they are required to ring the bell. Here they just drop and run!

Many items UPS just send an email saying they "tried" to deliver today and couldn't. But I have discovered that it has just gone straight to the Post Office and not here.

At my box on the road at the farm - they only put a parcel notice in your box, never on your door. Defeats the purpose of the box doesn't it.

UPS did come to the door on the farm and here as well, but here not always ringing the bell, just leaving the parcel.

It's definitely worth considering the video camera thingee. I'll have to check how close to the door someone has to get for it to go off. I don't have a porch. I have a townhouse in a condo association. The walk way is right up to my front door and front wall. That's like having the sidewalk right up against my house. A fare number of people walk past my door in a day. I could be getting notifications quite frequently.

But, honestly, why should I have to buy something, when they are supposed to ring the doorbell? Also, there are some security concerns with those video systems that notify your cell phone.

Oh, yes, that might make it a challenge to install and not have too many unwanted notifications! You can turn off the notifications and just look, but I suppose that's not much help.

I've heard of the hacking problems with Ring. That's one of the reasons we got the Skybell, since it is a "professional" product and not the #1 popular product, less likely that folks will bother building a hack for it? (Same logic for computer anti-virus software.)

OT, but kind of funny...we were out camping a couple of years ago, when a neighbor rang the home doorbell, at 6AM wearing his pj's! By the time I bothered to get up and check who was there, he had left. I called his wife and asked if it was "possible" that hubby came to our door in his PJ's. She didn't know, because she was out of town too! Turns out, he took the dog out & locked himself out, and no one was home. Ooops!

Dragnlaw, the video camera connects to your wifi. It has to to access the internet. It uses the internet to tell your phone about the things that are in view on the camera. As I understand it, it is an easy place to hack into your wifi network. That would give access to everything else that is connected to that network. If you want more specific info, I could ask DH, a computer engineer with a serious interest in digital security. Or someone else who knows might reply.

Thanks appreciate!. But no, not necessary as I'm certainly not too worried about it. It will send a 'signal' but only a video/picture/sound if you ask for it. So as said, not worried about it much more than someone hacking my messages/text.

Idiots on the roadways (again)! Out in the country, on two lane roads (one for each direction), folks are flying at 55, 60, 65, 70 mph. And many of them are not paying any attention...or they are paying attention to their phone instead of their driving! They cross the line into oncoming traffic or end up in the ditches.

In the PNW, lots of places have swales, ditches to allow the frequent rain a place to go to ground. No sidewalks, just the ditches.

I've got a window decal that reads, "Honk if you Love Jesus. Text if you want to Meet Him."

'Nuff said.

Today must have been Drive Like an Idiot Day on both coasts, Ginny. Some jerk passed me on the entrance ramp (silver sedan, lots of rear window decals [emoji849]); another driver on the freeway passed me so closely they almost took my front bumper off, just so they could pass a driver in the left lane on their right (hey, pink SUV, I see you...). The rest of the idiots were so minor league they don't warrant mentioning.

I can understand.

We live in a very rural area. Just to say...out in the country.

Having said this, there are posted speed limits. The one that is before our house is 35 mph.

You'd never know that because there are times when I cannot even see what color the vehicle is.

Yeah, 35 mph!

Hooray for the FDA

NPR said:
Experts Advise FDA To Authorize Pfizer COVID Booster For People 65 And Older
September 17, 20213:45 PM ET
I live in a 9th-floor apartment. Betwixt overcrowding and no mask/improper mask use, riding the elevator is like licking a petri dish.

I'll be first in the booster line.

I live in a 9th-floor apartment. Betwixt overcrowding and no mask/improper mask use, riding the elevator is like licking a petri dish.

I'll be first in the booster line.

I was first in the Covid line and am pushing for the booster to be offered to healthcare workers. Yes, offered, I do not like mandates.

Dialysis today Had to ferry granddaughter to activity, then pick her up, then make supper. I'm worn out. Youngest has developed a cold. He's not feeling the best. I'm thinking early bedtime for everyone tonight. Sleep will be welcome.

Back
Top Bottom