"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #641
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I'm having a problem with my computer. This is serious, because I can't play Spider Solitaire without tearing my hair out. Like I said, serious. Sometimes I can't get the cards to move, or they'll move halfway and jump back and I'll have to try numerous times at which point I just give up and exit out. Also, I need to copy and paste all the funny stuff you guys post on "Today's Funny" but I'm having trouble highlighting the picture -- the picture will start to move instead. Grrr.

Can't afford a new computer or to lose any more hair. Have pity, someone.
Another Spider Solitaire addict.

For copying the pictures, try right clicking on the picture. If you are using FireFox, you should get a context menu with the option to "copy picture". It might work in other browsers too.

What operating system are you using?

Hmm, maybe this should have its own thread. Someone here is probably techie enough to help, but it might take a lot of questions and guessing.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #642
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I love my phone. I make calls, get calls, and on the front it tells me the time, date am or pm. I could text, but I don't know how, have no interrest in learning. Life is so simple.

I apologize TL. I just couldn't resist. Good luck.

Yeah, the more a phone does, the more complicated it gets. I'm really glad I told the guy at the Fido store (Fido is my phone provider) not to activate the new phone. I knew I wanted to know how it works before I had to make or receive any phone calls on it. It's my main phone.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #643
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Another Spider Solitaire addict.

For copying the pictures, try right clicking on the picture. If you are using FireFox, you should get a context menu with the option to "copy picture". It might work in other browsers too.

What operating system are you using?

Hmm, maybe this should have its own thread. Someone here is probably techie enough to help, but it might take a lot of questions and guessing.
Ohhh. I do use FireFox and after I finally get it highlighted, I right-click and use the "copy" choice. Many thanks, tax - I'll just skip the highlighting step.

I have Vista and surely hope I don't have to 'graduate' to Windows 8 -- I've heard awful things about it, even though Vista is by no means ideal.

So you don't think there's already a thread for this kind of stuff? I'd be glad to go there with my petty problems if it already exists.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #644
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Ohhh. I do use FireFox and after I finally get it highlighted, I right-click and use the "copy" choice. Many thanks, tax - I'll just skip the highlighting step.

I have Vista and surely hope I don't have to 'graduate' to Windows 8 -- I've heard awful things about it, even though Vista is by no means ideal.

So you don't think there's already a thread for this kind of stuff? I'd be glad to go there with my petty problems if it already exists.
My son The Pirate has Vista. He likes it. Took him a while to get used to it. I have Windows 7. I am happy with it. Have no intentions to go to 8. I still think their best was XP Windows.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #645
Master Chef

I agree, XP was the best. I still use a laptop with XP. I'm also using another new laptop with Windows 8 and am still learning how to use it. I think Microsoft went the other way on this OS and made it user 'unfriendly' for regular laptops and desktops.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #646
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My laptop uses Vista premium and has worked well since '08, with that said, this machine was powerful enough to run Vista, so that's half the battle right there. The TV computer and partner's laptop run 7 and it has proven quite stable.

I run Ubuntu on the kitchen computer (an old laptop) and it is rock solid, even on an outdated machine.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #647
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I agree, XP was the best. I still use a laptop with XP. I'm also using another new laptop with Windows 8 and am still learning how to use it. I think Microsoft went the other way on this OS and made it user 'unfriendly' for regular laptops and desktops.
Everybody I know complains about Wind. 8. I am happy with Windows 7 and this will be my last program. I am not one of those folks who have to have the latest and greatest. I have never owned an Apple product. Don't intend to.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #648
Chef Extraordinaire

I learned computers in the late 80's and the only program avaiable was DOS. You had two 5" disks. One disk you wrote your program and on the other you enter your data. You had to know all the commands to start a new paragraph, to underline, bold, indent, etc. It was quite an education.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #649
Master Chef

The problem is, most current consumer PC's come installed with Windows 8. If you're in the market for a new PC, chances are, you'll end up with Windows 8. You don't have much choice there.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #650
Master Chef

Also, my old laser printer driver is not compatible with the new OS (including Windows 7) and it's a hassle updating the print driver, if there is one for your printer. It's a lot easier to go out and buy a new, cheap, monochrome printer which I intend to do.