"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #651
Chef Extraordinaire

I am fortunate in I have a son who knows computers inside out. I have an old CPU and he has added memory galore, new programs and updates if I choose to have them. I started out with no USB ports. I now have four. His only instructions to me is "DON'T TOUCH A THING IF THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG! CALL ME INSTEAD!" And that is what I do. I don't even pay attention to what he does. I do change the color and black cartridges though. That I know how to do. I can play DVDs, burn, and other things. Luv that kid!

Old 01-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #652
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Also, my old laser printer driver is not compatible with the new OS (including Windows 7) and it's a hassle updating the print driver, if there is one for your printer. It's a lot easier to go out and buy a new, cheap, monochrome printer which I intend to do.
Just remember that cheap printers take expensive cartridges, so often it is cheaper to buy a better printer. I guess it depends, in part, on how much you print. I have had HP ink jet cartridges that stopped working because of some date setting, not because they were empty. I didn't use that printer very much and gave it away.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #653
Master Chef

My current Samsung monochrome laser printer can use generic black laser cartridges with roller assembly and all which I can get on Ebay for about 10 bucks including free shipping.
Even the new monochrome laser printers I'm looking at (around $75) use cheap generic replacements which are available on Amazon and Ebay. I never buy original brand replacement cartridges as they can cost at least 3 times as much.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #654
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Just remember that cheap printers take expensive cartridges, so often it is cheaper to buy a better printer. I guess it depends, in part, on how much you print. I have had HP ink jet cartridges that stopped working because of some date setting, not because they were empty. I didn't use that printer very much and gave it away.
I have an HP printer that tells me to change an ink cart. when there's still a couple of months of printing left in it. I just ignore the repeated warnings until it actually runs out of ink.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #655
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
It's not a color printer so my current monochrome laser printer can use generic black laser cartridges with roller assembly and all which I can get on Ebay for about 10 bucks including free shipping. Even the new monochrome laser printers I'm looking at (around $75) use cheap generic replacements which are available on Amazon and Ebay. I never buy original brand replacement cartridges as they can cost at least 3 times as much.
Good plan. They tell you that using generic cartridges can damage the printer, but for a lot of printers, you save back the cost of the printer in about 3 new sets of cartridges
Old 01-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #656
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have an HP printer that tells me to change an ink cart. when there's still a couple of months of printing left in it. I just ignore the repeated warnings until it actually runs out of ink.
This was quite a while ago. Maybe they stopped doing it. It wouldn't print, even though there was ink left. This happened mostly with the colour cartridges.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #657
Executive Chef

Quote:
The problem is, most current consumer PC's come installed with Windows 8. If you're in the market for a new PC, chances are, you'll end up with Windows 8. You don't have much choice there.

you are exactly right, roadfix--i know, cause i am one of those unfortunate consumers who got stuck with windows 8 when i bought a new computer late last year. it makes my blood boil, that i am besieged by defects and glitches -- a regular occurrence with this half-baked, pre-production windows 8 program. (thanks a lot, microsoft)
Old 01-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #658
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I agree, XP was the best. I still use a laptop with XP. I'm also using another new laptop with Windows 8 and am still learning how to use it. I think Microsoft went the other way on this OS and made it user 'unfriendly' for regular laptops and desktops.
RF, just ignore Metro and you will find it is pretty much the same as Windows 7

Install 3rd party start menu program Classic Shell, my hubby uses it and it is great he says

Classic Shell Start Menu
Old 01-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #659
Executive Chef

Quote:
I agree, XP was the best. I still use a laptop with XP. I'm also using another new laptop with Windows 8 and am still learning how to use it. I think Microsoft went the other way on this OS and made it user 'unfriendly' for regular laptops and desktops.
3 cheers for XP. Although, in all honesty I still think Windows 98 was pretty cool LOL

I upgraded to Vista a few years back, it was ok but I really missed my XP so put it back on. When that machine died it was time to face the music because you couldn't buy a new one with XP any longer .

But then I thought about my local computer repair shop .. called them up and yep .. they would build me a new computer with XP for less than buying retail without getting XP .. so that's what I did.

I'm still using XP and until it's impossible to get it installed anywhere anymore I will use it .. and when I die I'm gonna be buried in an XP box LOL

I'm just too old and easily confused to use the newer OS .. old habits die hard and this old dog just isn't into new tricks
Old 01-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #660
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a Mac, so I dont have any issues