"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2017, 11:01 PM   #6611
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I don't really know where to put this, but I have a BIG vent about AAA.

The bottom line is, we broke down on our way back home today, and it took over three hours to get a tow truck!...
Geez, Kayelle, what a pain. I can understand delays like that up here-in the winter-when everyone is told to stay inside but they don't. We've been lucky - in the 17 years we've had AAA I called for service once, and they showed up in just over half an hour, having made determinations on two other calls that came in the same time ours did and servicing them first. And second. We were just chillin' our heels in the parking lot of the local donut shop...that was, fortunately, closed. I know I'm interesting in what comes of your phone call to AAA on Monday.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #6612
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Princess many years ago, getting capped at graduation was the highlight of nursing school. Each school had their own style of cap. In Boston you knew which school a nurse graduated from. Today nurses do not wear a cap. So is there any other highlight of the graduation ceremony other than receiving their diploma?
We get a ten gallon bladder and roller skates.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:48 AM   #6613
Chef Extraordinaire

I placed an online order from ATK early in the morning on the 11th of this month. It was sent to FedEx on the same day. I received a notice that a shipping number had been assigned to my order. Two days letter that is as far as my order had gotten. I sent an email to ATK complaining. When could I possibly hope to receive my order. And answer "they would look into the matter" was sent back as their answer. The notice from FedEx still said that the shipping number had been assigned. So I sent another notice to ATK asking where is my order and when could I expect to receive it. In what year? Answer: They are looking into it.

Here it is the 15th of the month and I finally received a notice that it was being shipped out on an overnight delivery. We will see today. ATK should have just mailed it to me. I would have gotten it a lot sooner. I will never order anything from ATK again.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:50 AM   #6614
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
We get a ten gallon bladder and roller skates.
Good one Princess.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:26 PM   #6615
Head Chef

Not to tangent on, but my petty vent is about dentist's idea of what a tooth cleaning is now. It used to be you got a good going over by your dental hygienist. Nowadays, that is called "Deep Cleaning." You now pay extra for that. That "Deep Cleaning" doesn't require an antithetic and is what we all used to get...a thorough cleaning.

"Shall we set you up for a "Deep Cleaning" appointment?" Deep Cleaning appointment...wth?

It's not even a Root Planing (which requires an antithetic). It's just a more thorough cleaning...which is what you used to get before.

Now it's called a "Deep Cleaning" and costs extra, but it's how we've always had our teeth cleaned. Now it costs extra.

LOL...it's called "Deep Cleaning".

No wonder my last "Regular" cleaning was so pleasantly painless and superficial.

"Shall we set you up for a "Deep Cleaning" appointment?"

Hell, a regular thorough cleaning used to be that.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:40 PM   #6616
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I placed an online order from ATK ...
ATK - America's Test Kitchen?

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:39 PM   #6617
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
got a 6 to 7 hour drive tomorrow. going to my sisters to pick-up a china cabinet of one of our grandmothers. She wants to sell it and I said NEVER it is a family heirloom. Neither of her sons want it, my son does. So before they sell/toss it (she's moving) I have to get there and rescue it.

BTW, Dear Sister:
I understand you're under a great deal of stress - going from a huge home to one less than a 1/4 of the size. But... don't get snippity with me! Tarnation! I just spent a day'n a half trying to arrange care of the farm, with the goslings priority. Plus the horses, cats, etc... PLUS preparing a full meal for when I arrive. You ain't the only one with stress, sweet cheeks! Having problems with installation dates of the fibreoptics, the reno's on the bathroom, patio being reset and guy gettin very sick... Wild Parsnip taking over the place... give me a break - but I'm not snippity with the folks who are not part of the problem! at least not until now! you were brought up better than that, try using a little self control instead of giving in. Yeah, sure! I rant and rave and cry and scream... BUT IN PRIVATE! nobody undeserving takes the brunt of my anger, frustration.

Except of course, the poor listeners at Discuss Cooking.... thanks guys
Sounds like my knuckleheaded sister. lol.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:54 PM   #6618
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
ATK - America's Test Kitchen?
Yes.

I finally received my Kitchen Hacks book today. Nine days later. Pony Express was faster than that. So much for that overnight delivery. Today is the 19th of the month. Nine days for it to reach my address.

I thought I was getting a pamphlet. Not at all. It has close to 400 hundred pages and printed on beautiful shiny heavy stock. A well written book that should be in every kitchen.

As much as I love the book, I still think their delivery service stinks! I will think twice before I even considering anything from ATK again.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #6619
Head Chef

Equifax marketing strategy?

Just curious. Does anyone else's ear ache when they hear Equifax using their own security breach to market their own identity theft protection business?

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:19 PM   #6620
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
Just curious. Does anyone else's ear ache when they hear Equifax using their own security breach to market their own identity theft protection business?
Yeah. What was that all about? On my income, if anyone tries to use my information, they are in for a shock. Other than my SS number, there is nothing there of value to anyone.