Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if you had paid attention to me at all, it would be 100 % better than where i was. it was really hard to get anyone to answer the bell. when you are told to not get up by yourself, it is important that they respond quickly , especially when the bathroom is involved. i had one that paid attention, she was lovely to me. alas she was not a nurse. i 'm sure there are nice places, i didn't just land in one.

I was counting how many Nurses Aides I have encouraged to go to nursing school, because they have the right attitude and love working with the elderly. Of the 15 nurses on the floor today, 6 were Nurses Aides that worked directly under me and are now nurses. Makes me proud and a bit humbled.

I wish you had come to me, Babe. I would have made sure you were treated right.

i am 73 years old, i do not wish to spend the last of my days, in a home. if my brain is gone, i want to be gone as well. i have a friend of forty years that has for all practical purposes been a veggie for two years. she will never get better, she is not aware of much of anything. only machines are keeping her alive. as well as i knew her and we discussed many times not wanting to end this way. her daughter , who is ignoring reality , is giving her "hello kitty" stuff for christmas. how is that for destroying whatever dignity she might have left. my only hope is that she is not in that fog somewhere, knowing what is going on. it breaks my heart. i do not wish that ending or anything like it for myself. when i am beyond where i know anything, let me go.

A DNR and its limitations are something totally up to you. I would strongly suggest that you speak with your attorney and those who you wish to include in the process that would create this type of decision.

What I'm saying is my own decision. I may change my mind later and I will do so if my thinking changes. I certainly don't want to influence your thinking or anyone else's. It's much too important of a matter than to involve myself in others choices.

You're one of my favorite people here on DC. I hope you see a lively, aware 120 years old! Join me in another couple decades for a space ship ride! Wouldn't that be a hoot?

I closed down the old venting thread. It was getting pretty cumbersome for any new reader. Lets try to keep this one to just petty stuff. If you really need support or prayers please start a new thread so it can get the attention it deserves.

My petty little snotty vent is just that I got yelled at for nothing. I run a yoga program out of our community hall and today the floor was really gross. So after the class I called the person responsible for hall rentals and reported it. (Sounds logical so far right?) Well instead of saying thanks for the info I'll handle it, I got a blast about people blaming her and telling her what to do about the mess etc etc. I kept my cool, and asked her why she was yelling at me? She ranted some more. I told her I was not responsible for her upset, and had merely been doing what I thought she WANTED me to do and apologized for trying to be helpful. To her credit she backed down and apologized. She told me that I was just "in the line of fire". I responded by accepting the apology and letting her know I'd found her very rude.

I'm trying very hard to take the high road and just accept that apology and move on. I'm still TICKED OFF though. LOL. The venting has helped. Thanks for listening guys. Sometimes it just helps to get it out.

This is exactly why I love this thread. I had a horrible day today too. After the early morning checking in with DC, I closed the computer and started doing other stuff.

When it came time to relax and check in again, all of a sudden Windows wouldn't launch.

Finally, about 12 hours later, I was able to launch Windows. I'll have a challenge getting all my settings back, but she's working.....for now...

Last edited:
Because I work nights, Fridays are my "night" to be a human. Well...I still nap between 2-3/4 p.m. (can't later than that, I have to get the hens in). I'd just fallen asleep when I hear this "bang-bang-bang" on the door. Oh crap! I get up, go to the door--it is the neighbor. We used to let him deer hunt on the property when we'd stay in the city most of the time. Last JANUARY we told him that we didn't want him hunting on the property this year--last year, he drove his ATV all over, made ruts (which made it DIFFICULT at best to gather maple sap--I was almost swimming to get the sap because of the ruts), let his buddies hunt on the property w/out him, left a carcass by the barn, came through to bait almost every day (bow hunters but we had said "no baiting"). Anyhow, he came over to beg again to hunt on the property. We've said NO three times. I said "ummm...it's not my call...I'll have to run that by the DH again."

So I talked with my dad tonight, and he advised that if we let the neighbor hunt (he has 4 tags) that we get 1/2 of the first deer on our property, no ATV except to go get the deer, no carcass left on the property, and no transfer of the hunting (that is illegal in ON FWIW). I hate it when one says "no" others don't take that for an answer. In the past, he has plowed the driveway (1x) and brought us 6 sausages. As my dad said, a package of sausage is what you bring the invalid old lady down the road...I really don't like other people on the property and I really don't like others treating the property as if it is their own...am I being a pain?

When I wasn't staying at the farm, it was nice to have s/one going through to show "life" at the farm, but now I am here and I have the chickens. There is life at the farm and we don't need s/one to show "life" here. Yes, I'm probably a pain--my dad said not to burn bridges with the neighbor, but it's our land, not his.

Last edited:
I think your objections are right on and the neighbor should abide by any rules and restrictions you have made. Since he has already proven to not be trustworthy...no hunting. Besides, it would upset the girls!

PF--the girls were my primary concern. My other concern was that he'd let others hunt here--got the p*ss scared out of me last year when I looked out and there was a truck parked by the barn. And, as my dad said, it isn't as if it is a field/bush lot--there is a house and s/one living in it. Hunters tend to go out EARLY in the a.m. I am usually up working at 2:00 a.m., but on weekends, I usually sleep until I wake up. Cliff, the one Saint that is always here with me, will BARK if s/one drives up the driveway--day or night. That wakes me up. That's what woke me up that morning when the pickup drove in. My dad said "No Sunday hunting." In part, because the DH is usually here on Sundays and we like to take the dogs for a walk back in the bush if the weather is nice. That's the other thing, we can't use the back 40 in November and December because we don't know if he's back there hunting.

Because I work nights, Fridays are my "night" to be a human. Well...I still nap between 2-3/4 p.m. (can't later than that, I have to get the hens in). I'd just fallen asleep when I hear this "bang-bang-bang" on the door. Oh crap! I get up, go to the door--it is the neighbor. We used to let him deer hunt on the property when we'd stay in the city most of the time. Last JANUARY we told him that we didn't want him hunting on the property this year--last year, he drove his ATV all over, made ruts (which made it DIFFICULT at best to gather maple sap--I was almost swimming to get the sap because of the ruts), let his buddies hunt on the property w/out him, left a carcass by the barn, came through to bait almost every day (bow hunters but we had said "no baiting"). Anyhow, he came over to beg again to hunt on the property. We've said NO three times. I said "ummm...it's not my call...I'll have to run that by the DH again."

So I talked with my dad tonight, and he advised that if we let the neighbor hunt (he has 4 tags) that we get 1/2 of the first deer on our property, no ATV except to go get the deer, no carcass left on the property, and no transfer of the hunting (that is illegal in ON FWIW). I hate it when one says "no" others don't take that for an answer. In the past, he has plowed the driveway (1x) and brought us 6 sausages. As my dad said, a package of sausage is what you bring the invalid old lady down the road...I really don't like other people on the property and I really don't like others treating the property as if it is their own...am I being a pain?

When I wasn't staying at the farm, it was nice to have s/one going through to show "life" at the farm, but now I am here and I have the chickens. There is life at the farm and we don't need s/one to show "life" here. Yes, I'm probably a pain--my dad said not to burn bridges with the neighbor, but it's our land, not his.

How does he get four tags?

Is it because of bow/gun and then doe permits on each?

oh man, i just fell for the same ripoff for a second time! i am so outraged, but most at myself, for being so stupid--again! i purchased a michael connelly ebook from a barnes & noble listing of "affordable" ebooks. it only cost $2.99. it only consisted of exactly 61 pages! augghhh!!! since it happened to me the first time, i was scrupulously checking a book's page length before making a purchase. i guess i got sloppy though, cause there were more than half-dozen furious reviews complaining about this very thing. as i've stated before, i don't buy my books by their length or weight, but this is getting ridiculous. and besides myself, i don't know who to direct my anger toward--the publisher? the author, for participating in such a sham? the bookseller? well, i think i've got it covered--i'm mad at the whole ****ing world about this crap!!!!!!!!

vitauta said:
oh man, i just fell for the same ripoff for a second time! i am so outraged, but most at myself, for being so stupid--again! i purchased a michael connelly ebook from a barnes & noble listing of "affordable" ebooks. it only cost $2.99. it only consisted of exactly 61 pages! augghhh!!! since it happened to me the first time, i was scrupulously checking a book's page length before making a purchase. i guess i got sloppy though, cause there were more than half-dozen furious reviews complaining about this very thing. as i've stated before, i don't buy my books by their length or weight, but this is getting ridiculous. and besides myself, i don't know who to direct my anger toward--the publisher? the author, for participating in such a sham? the bookseller? well, i think i've got it covered--i'm mad at the whole ****ing world about this crap!!!!!!!!

It is pretty ridiculous. The price of books keeps going up, the quality seems to be going down, and it seems to be increasingly difficult to find something that's true to genre. Maybe I was spoiled growing up. It seemed I could always find a decent paperback for $4 or so and at the time we didn't have much of a book store.

On a completely unrelated note, I find it to be a great injustice of the world that I currently have a Brittany Spears song stuck in my head.

I wasn't feeling so good today. I slept as much as possible, then started feeling better. I've spend a lot of time resetting everything on my computer. I got the more important ones done, like downloading McAfee. I'll have to add my favorites back one by one. I had to restore to factory without a backup. It was my last option. I'm just so glad it worked.

Was stuck in a conference room all afternoon Friday, and among 50 people, 6 were hacking and coughing away. None of these educators were doing the "Dracula" ( coughing into the sleeve, as is taught at school, and every preschooler can demonstrate it), and none of them covered their coughs. They just let fly.

Thank goodness the snack table was well away from them.

library books at your local library are free. i have read more micheal connelly than i care to in the last month. all free.
I don't know if other libraries have them or not, but mine offers quite a selection of E-books that are downloadable for free. I haven't purchased a book, (other than cookbooks), in many years.

Like you, babetoo, I use the local library exclusively. If they don't have a book I want to read, the Inter-Library-Loan, (ILL) service will find it for me at another library.

Why buy the cow when you can get free milk? :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

How does he get four tags?

Is it because of bow/gun and then doe permits on each?

The deer population is so high in the area, that the number of tags varies based on the deer population. Last year, it was six. Also this is bow hunting--I'm not sure about muzzle-loader season / number of tags. We don't allow muzzle-loader hunting. It could also be his wife has a tag, his dad a tag, and his brother. His dad hunts sometimes with him, but this guy is the avid hunter so they might get the tags and he does the hunting. I used to get a tag when my dad hunted--but I had to be out there with him--and I had to register the deer he shot. Once my tag was filled, I didn't have to go out at 0-dark-hundred and freeze my butt off...The DH capituated--but there are 10 rules, including 1/2 of the first deer. If he only gets one, too bad, 1/2 that venison has my name on it. And, I'm not going to be getting just sausage--I like venison sausage, but I like a good venison roast, steak, stew meat, etc., more than I like sausage. And, I don't like venison burger, so that is stew meat. I don't think I'm up to butchering the 1/2 on the kitchen table...for a number of reasons. Growing up, we did that, but we have a stainless prep table and since my folks had once owned a restaurant, we had all the equipment needed...I don't. And, I just don't think I want to go there. It was a lot of work, especially deboning the legs for the stew meat...

Last edited:
I have been fighting with a file for two days now. It works fine until I re-open it, then it is all screwed up. I am so tired of fixing the same formatting problems and the Help desk is NOT helpful. I have opened this file on all three of my computers, I have saved it to new locations under new names, I've run defrag, I've repaired the application, I've reinstalled the application, I'm ready to send it back to my client and say "it works for me until I re-open it...good luck with that..." (I can't do that), but today is one of those days I really don't like being self-employed. Where's the IT person!!!

Well-meaning friends--argh! As some of you know, I'm dealing with elderly parents, more specifically, my mom who has dementia (4/5 stage, sliding into 6). I have two brothers, one who has been estranged from my parents for 4 years (and lives 45 minutes from them), the other lives in SE Ontario as I do. To travel to our parents is difficult. So this well-meaning friend said to me today that the next time my father has to travel, to make him bring my mom to me. Right, that's gonna happen. And if he won't do that, to say "sorry dad, I can't help." And that I shouldn't put my life on "hold" to go there. Right. I want to spend as much time as I can with my mom before she forgets who I am. Family dynamics are difficult. I hate well-meaning friends. Just because she didn't spend time with her dad before he lost his memory, doesn't mean I don't want to spend time with my mom before that happens. I know she will forget who I am before too much more time passes, but I want to grab as much time with her before that happens as I can. If I have to live in her world with her, I can do that. What I can't stand is s/one telling me to let go before she let's go of me.

Back
Top Bottom