"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #671
Head Chef

Since exposing super glue to oxygen is what makes it cure.. more than one or two uses and you are good.. thats why the bottles are so small...

Old 01-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #672
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
The newest bottle I've bought has lasted through 6-10 uses! It seems to have some sort of corkscrew thing going on inside of it. It sucks the glue back down to the bottom of the bottle as soon as you set it upright. Bf was even using it to glue rockets together, and kept forgetting it open, sitting upright on the table. Still working fine! It's "loctite" brand super glue. Red label, black top. I don't think I've ever seen a bottle last through more than a couple uses.

Thanks Skittle .. I will have to look for that brand. I just checked the bottle he bought with the brush and it's already seized up after only one use.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #673
Chef Extraordinaire

Pet peeve that is driving me nuts: Since when is "gifted" a word?!? Hate it! What's wrong with "give" and its tenses? "I gave my niece a gift." "I was given a present." Works just fine. argh
Old 01-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #674
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Pet peeve that is driving me nuts: Since when is "gifted" a word?!? Hate it! What's wrong with "give" and its tenses? "I gave my niece a gift." "I was given a present." Works just fine. argh
I agree. Our language is changing. not always in ways we like.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #675
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I HATE waiting!

Yesterday I waited all day for a package which was to be delivered by Fedex.

Last evening when I checked the tracking, there was a message that they couldn't get into the building. It was time stamped 5:53 p.m.

I can understand that the security guard may have been away from his station, restroom break, unlocking an apartment for a forgetful resident, etc., but no residents around to open the door for the Fedex delivery person??????? There are 300+ apartments here! At that time of day there should have been a few around.

Now I get to wait all day again! GRRRRRRRrrrrrrr!!!!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #676
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I HATE waiting!

Yesterday I waited all day for a package which was to be delivered by Fedex.

Last evening when I checked the tracking, there was a message that they couldn't get into the building. It was time stamped 5:53 p.m.

I can understand that the security guard may have been away from his station, restroom break, unlocking an apartment for a forgetful resident, etc., but no residents around to open the door for the Fedex delivery person??????? There are 300+ apartments here! At that time of day there should have been a few around.

Now I get to wait all day again! GRRRRRRRrrrrrrr!!!!
Yep .. that's very very annoying !! I hope your got your package ok.

On a similar note is when I order something and it tells me it's coming via FedEX or UPS .. I know what time those trucks are in my neighborhood so plan my errands and appointments around those times. Then the pkg doesn't show up .. I check online and find that they re-routed it to the post office ! My mail gets delivered anytime between 9 am and 6 pm and I've come home to find a note to go pick it up myself the next day.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #677
Chef Extraordinaire

Z, that sounds frustrating!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #678
Certified Pretend Chef

A little over a week ago, I reported a missing shipment of mail order Rx drugs. The USPS was no help. I called for another order. The replacement order arrived Tuesday. The original, lost order arrived yesterday. No clue where it was.

I guess I'm all set for a while with those pills.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #679
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Yes, I got my new office chair, in pieces, of course. I feel like I've wrestled a mad alligator!!

I asked the driver what had happened, and he said some of their trucks had gotten snowed in the days before, so they were backed up a day. He had worked 12 hours already so he quit for the day.

The awkward thing is that the reason given was that we were closed or I wasn't home, which wasn't the fact at all.

When I have to be out for any time a package is out for delivery, I leave a note on my door to deliver to a neighbor, after making sure they are going to be home.

Since I live on the West Bank, and the distribution center is way to the West of New Orleans proper, deliveries are usually late in the day, so I don't worry about being out, I just plan to do my shopping early anyway.

By the way, West Bank is the West bank of the Mississippi, and is East of New Orleans. Don't try to get directions around here, you could get really lost.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #680
Chef Extraordinaire

We ran down to NY today to pick up a package. While there, we did a bit of grocery shopping--less than we usually do, about $100, $42 of which was chicken legs for the dogs. What we did buy was dairy. There is a $20/person limit. We also picked up a scale for the lathe that was about $250--that we expected to pay HST on. Well, would you not know it but the border guard told us that he could charge us 300% duty on the $2 per person over the $40 dairy limit ($20 per person).. And, news to us, we are to have our grocery totals on two receipts if the groceries are not going to the same address (some groceries get dropped at the farm, some at the DH's house, some at mine...). Ironically, I used coupons for some cheese--got $8 off with the coupons and the Advantage card. Got home, added up all the dairy--$32 after the coupons...$46 before coupons. Oh--I hate border guards who can't read a receipt or add up the amounts. Luckily, we got off with just paying the HST on the scale for the lathe.