Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to pound the flat top of the jar on the kitchen counter to break the seal - then I realized that I could dent the Formica that way. So I took the jar out to our attached garage, which is 1/2 level lower than our first floor due to the grade of our lot. I would pound the jar lid on the 2x4 railing top, but then it occurred to me that the jar could break in my hand. Not Good! So I have ever since tapped the edge of the lid with my sharpening steel successfully. No broken jar, cut hand, or dented counter. If I can't get a lid off? I call Himself into the kitchen. My hands aren't strong enough for even a "cap snaffler" to work for me.
;;l;'

As far as that peel-off seal under a sealed lid - maybe it's there to create a better air barrier than just the lid? Himself is always confounded when he opens a new tub of Fage sour cream. There is no outer plastic band, just the inner seal. Once the seal is gone, dang if it doesn't look like sour cream. But surprise! They add a parchment cover directly on the sour cream (or yogurt) as an added freshness feature. He forgets, but remembers it as soon as he tries to scoop sour cream! :D
I don't mind the paper filter. It is much more user-friendly than the peel off inner lid! I just pop it back over the yoghurt and then put the plastic lid on top. It seems to keep a bit longer that way. The peel-off inner lids are just stupid extra plastic for no reason (other than if the lid pops off it stops the contents from coming out - but that is for the manufacturer's benefit, not us users!

Here in SW WA, the minimum wage is now $15.79/hr and set to go to $16.28/hr next year. There are cities in WA that are even higher, one is over $19/hour. We still tip the same, but I've been thinking, if they are now making a "living wage"...not relying on the tips, do we need to re-think the tipping percentage at restaurants and such? I mean, lunch at a fast food place is easily more than $10/pp. The other day, we were getting fuel and I noticed a "Help Wanted" kind of sign at one of the burger fast food places and it said, starting at, ya-da-da, ya-da-da, "plus tips." Hmmm...so now we're tipping at fast food places?

Yesterday, I went to a Beauty Supply store for a specific kind of brush. I figured, let's go to the one with the 4-letter name, as they have a store in the mall. We can walk around, grab a bite and go by the Beauty Supply too. I walk into the store, a girl asks if I need help, I asked where the make up brushes are and she pointed me to them. I found what I wanted and went up to the cashier. There was a line, 4 people ahead of me and the line wasn't moving. Once I make it to the cashier, I realize, what takes so long...the list of questions! OMG! Am I a member...no. Do I want to join...no, thank you. Am I sure...yes. It doesn't cost anything....<glare> You can use your email address instead of phone number...no, thank you. More questions and I kind of zone out...then, would I like to tip my assistant? I just starred...now I need to tip someone that pointed me to the aisle right next to me? Then, finally, do I want a printed receipt or email?

What happened to, "how's your day going?" and "thanks for shopping with us." And, maybe, sorry for the wait. Next time, you can be sure I'll just log on instead of driving!

Here in SW WA, the minimum wage is now $15.79/hr and set to go to $16.28/hr next year. There are cities in WA that are even higher, one is over $19/hour. We still tip the same, but I've been thinking, if they are now making a "living wage"...not relying on the tips, do we need to re-think the tipping percentage at restaurants and such? I mean, lunch at a fast food place is easily more than $10/pp. The other day, we were getting fuel and I noticed a "Help Wanted" kind of sign at one of the burger fast food places and it said, starting at, ya-da-da, ya-da-da, "plus tips." Hmmm...so now we're tipping at fast food places?

Yesterday, I went to a Beauty Supply store for a specific kind of brush. I figured, let's go to the one with the 4-letter name, as they have a store in the mall. We can walk around, grab a bite and go by the Beauty Supply too. I walk into the store, a girl asks if I need help, I asked where the make up brushes are and she pointed me to them. I found what I wanted and went up to the cashier. There was a line, 4 people ahead of me and the line wasn't moving. Once I make it to the cashier, I realize, what takes so long...the list of questions! OMG! Am I a member...no. Do I want to join...no, thank you. Am I sure...yes. It doesn't cost anything....<glare> You can use your email address instead of phone number...no, thank you. More questions and I kind of zone out...then, would I like to tip my assistant? I just starred...now I need to tip someone that pointed me to the aisle right next to me? Then, finally, do I want a printed receipt or email?

What happened to, "how's your day going?" and "thanks for shopping with us." And, maybe, sorry for the wait. Next time, you can be sure I'll just log on instead of driving!
When we came home from vacation last Sunday, I had an almost flat tire. We had been gone about 8 days and it had a slow leak in it before we left. This happened the day before we were going to leave town so I was pretty sure it was going to be flat or nearly flat when we got back, so I made an appointment to go to the auto place to have it fixed for the Monday after we got home.

Anyway. I have full coverage auto insurance with Nationwide. They have a roadside assistance feature that I occasionally have to use but haven't in a few years where they will change a spare tire, jumpstart a car, tow a vehicle, etc. with no additional charge. Monday morning before my tire appointment I called roadside to come put air in it so I could drive it to the shop. My husband dealt with him while I was getting ready. The guy was fast and efficient and very friendly. After he was done he said to my husband, "Just so you know, tips aren't required but we do accept them." My husband said, "Okay, thanks," but didn't tip him. I just really thought that was nervy, you know?

I was OK with tipping. Now, not so much. I believe it has gotten out of hand.

Businesses should pay employees what they're worth and not make them reliant on the kindness of strangers to make a living wage. I believe it's demeaning to the employees and annoying to the customers.
I agree Andy. On the other hand if I think someone has actually done me a favour and they are in a low income job, I'm more than happy to give them a tip - to them personally, - not because it's required but because I want to!

So...after thinking about it a bit...once upon a time, we discussed tips, some time back. I remember that it was around the time DH and I went to a restaurant on the river for a Sunday Brunch -- the Brunch Buffet, I might add. It isn't an easy buffet either, as they have to move tables around and set up various stations. At the end of the meal, the "server" who did no serving, gave us our bill. The bill had a line item, I don't remember what it was called, but it added a percentage to the bill. When we questioned the cashier about it, he said that it is the add-on to cover the new raise in wages, but not raise the prices, or something pretty close to that...probably worse and sillier, I don't remember. He said there's a sign on every table. Back then, I didn't read the little table tents as they usually are pushing drinks or dessert, neither of which I plan to order. (I now read them!) Come on! The prices are more, so the prices have been raised, but new menus were not needed/ordered.

Anyway, point being, what I would like to see is a menu that shows the total price of what I will pay. Show one lump sum that includes the food, service and tax. That seems fair, no? Then, a tip becomes what I think it was always meant to be...something extra, given willingly, for an exception job. 🤷 Not something required.

On the other paw...around here, there are a number of new restaurants that come...and go. We see a new place and I go online to check out the menu...and the prices. Most of the new places are small storefronts in strip malls and the like. Most of them want $25 and more for a burger...and do you want fries with that? 'Cuz they are not included! Add the tip and tax...and times 2 for DH and I...and you've got a bill that I'm not paying!
smileys-yes-and-no-179998.gif
And no, I do not live in the fancy part of town...and I can make a better burger myownself!

Ginny, that's exactly why I have not been in a 'restaurant' in many, many years. (exception being on the road traveling and even then it is a fast food place to eat in car while still driving).
I refuse to pay those prices for something I can make at home. I do not go out to have a 'hamburger' just because I'm tired and don't feel like cooking. I'd rather open a can of beans. I don't "order in" for the same reason. Of course, there will always be exceptions under special circumstance but no... I just don't eat out!

LOL, now that being said, now living in a town, there are so many little restaurants around! There are some Asian dishes I want to try to make, but never having had them, I don't know what they are supposed to taste like. Even there, I keep saying I'm going to go and order (many of them are take out) and I even actually went into one and asked for a menu. But I still have not ordered anything... LOL. Soon soon, maybe one day.

The tipping situation is out of hand. During the pandemic, I was liberal with tips. I knew that restaurants who packed meals up to go were barely surviving. Also, I felt for the staff who had no customers to serve. Now that time has passed.

Most of the fast food restaurants want a tip along with all the privately owned places where you order at the counter. In addition, many other businesses want a tip whereas they would not even think to do it before. I agree with others: Just give me the price that I am supposed to pay when I leave from the start. I will go to restaurants - especially when they make things I am unlikely to make at home. Like there is a fabulous Ethiopian place that we enjoy. As for other places, I do not tip when I order and pick up from a counter. I tip ten percent at buffets because the server brings drinks and picks up dishes. I tip 20 percent if the service is good. 15 percent if it is adequate. 25 percent if it is exceptional - which has not happened in a while. :( I tip my manicurist and my hair dresser. I give my postman and lawn guy bonuses at Christmas.

People have become extremely nervy when it comes to hinting for tips. I do sometimes struggle with not feeling guilty for not tipping when someone blatantly hints for one, but I am getting to the point that it is not bothering me much anymore.

I am totally for letting the restaurant pay their staff fairly and stopping with tipping all together.

I will repeat something I have mentioned before in a discussion here about tipping. My mother was a member of a private club in Southern California. They had a resto and a bar. The service was exquisite. It was some of the best service I have ever had. Tipping was forbidden. Accepting a tip was grounds for dismissal. The wages and benefits for the employees was to a standard that they had waiting lists of prospective employees. Very coveted jobs. So, the wait staff didn't want to risk their jobs. I visited my sister a while ago. She was and may still be a member of that club. We went there for supper. The club had changed their rules about tipping. The service was not nearly as good. I have always been told by people who are in favour of tipping that it makes the staff more attentive and give better service. It doesn't seem that way to me.

A little bit of my history here....While in college I was a waitress at Lum's Family Restaurant, a chain restaurant. There was a company policy of doing suggestive selling, as well as other policies. If someone ordered a hamburger, ask if they wanted fries with that. My opinion was if someone wanted fries, they would have ordered fries. Never did I do suggestive selling nor did I follow other company policies I did not agree with. The company also had a secret customer who would visit and assess the performance of the employees. If the employee followed the policies and pleased the secret company employed guest, they would receive a $25. savings bond. Much to my shock, I received the savings bond one time. That gave me new respect for Lum's Restaurant. Even though I had refused to follow company policy, I did provide excellent service, and I was pleased that was rewarded. And as I remember, I received good tips, even though it was a restaurant in the vicinity of the Ohio State University, not a high rent district.

Last edited:
Movie Descriptive Blurbs..
I know many of you are interested in who made, wrote, rewrote, etc the movies - but honestly I have no interest. When the descriptive part of the movie only lists directors, producers and don't tell me diddly-pop about whether it is suspense, horror, comedy, documentary, etc. I don't even bother to go any further.
I don't like certain types of movies and to start watching something that turns into something I can't abide - well, I'm not a happy camper.

A little bit of my history here....While in college I was a waitress at Lum's Family Restaurant, a chain restaurant. There was a company policy of doing suggestive selling, as well as other policies. If someone ordered a hamburger, ask if they wanted fries with that. My opinion was if someone wanted fries, they would have ordered fries. Never did I do suggestive selling nor did I follow other company policies I did not agree with. The company also had a secret customer who would visit and assess the performance of the employees. If the employee followed the policies and pleased the secret company employed guest, they would receive a $25. savings bond. Much to my shock, I received the savings bond one time. That gave me new respect for Lum's Restaurant. Even though I had refused to follow company policy, I did provide excellent service, and I was pleased that was rewarded. And as I remember, I received good tips, even though it was a restaurant in the vicinity of the Ohio State University, not a high rent district.
I was a waitress in WI at Lum's too.
That was my first 'official' job. I remember the blue polyester stretchy dresses we had to wear. I had a great mentor head waitress and we were friends for years after that. Good Memories.

I made homemade chicken soup last night and there's enough for one bowl left...hubby decided to heat it up for his dinner. I offered to do it a few hours ago for him but he wasn't hungry yet. Crown Royal and Coke does suppress the appetite slightly...

So just went out there to get some water--and instead of putting the soup in a bowl in the microwave as I suggested, he decided to heat it up in a pan on the stove with a lid, because it's always better to create more dirty dishes for me to clean up. Plus he's certain to drip soup all over the grates and stovetop without wiping the spills up (he'll say he didn't see them) and if I don't go check, they'll be all dried and crusty in the morning.

And no, I don't like him to wash things because I always end up redoing it. He doesn't understand that the pot or bowl needs to be washed on both sides (and it's often still greasy inside the pan or bowl anyway) and that putting pressure against the surface of what you are washing helps when cleaning it. Instead, he will get the sponge soaking wet with a dollop of dishwasher liquid on it and barely wipe it (no friction), then he'll rinse it with lukewarm water and put it in the drying rack without moving any drying dishes underneath it, so sometimes I'm rewashing something I washed an hour earlier because a dirty dish or pan dripped greasy liquid on it. And he doesn't squeeze all the moisture out of the sponge before putting it back so it's a bacteria magnet. I've also tried to explain that rinsing with hot water sanitizes the dishes but he just doesn't get it.

He also likes to sit at the kitchen counter to eat with just a candle and all the lights out, so there will be spills on the counter for me to wipe up, too. So even though I'm lying in bed,when he gets done eating I'll get up and go clean the kitchen. Again.

I've got a dishwasher. I don't put my ceramic coated pots in it, which is what he used to heat the soup. Hubby also puts parmesan cheese on his soup, so if he rinses the bowl and puts it in the dishwasher, the cheese dries like glue inside the bowl before the dishwasher gets run. After going through the cycle it takes a scouring pad to remove the dried on cheese clumps. Easier to just handwash.

I've got a dishwasher. I don't put my ceramic coated pots in it, which is what he used to heat the soup. Hubby also puts parmesan cheese on his soup, so if he rinses the bowl and puts it in the dishwasher, the cheese dries like glue inside the bowl before the dishwasher gets run. After going through the cycle it takes a scouring pad to remove the dried on cheese clumps. Easier to just handwash.
Oh dear, no you don't want the ceramic coated pots in the DW. I know from personal experience that men tend not to understand that those pots need to be treated with care. And yeah, if there's cheese in the soup, it would have been a problem just getting stuff clean in the DW if he had used the MW.

Oh dear, no you don't want the ceramic coated pots in the DW. I know from personal experience that men tend not to understand that those pots need to be treated with care. And yeah, if there's cheese in the soup, it would have been a problem just getting stuff clean in the DW if he had used the MW.
Yeah,he was using a metal spoon in it to stir it while it was heating. I handed him a wooden spoon and took the metal one away from him. You should see how much cheese he uses...probably 2 tbsp in large bowl of soup!

Back
Top Bottom