"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #681
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
A little over a week ago, I reported a missing shipment of mail order Rx drugs. The USPS was no help. I called for another order. The replacement order arrived Tuesday. The original, lost order arrived yesterday. No clue where it was.

I guess I'm all set for a while with those pills.
Well, now you know they weren't stolen. That has to be nice!

Old 01-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #682
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Well, now you know they weren't stolen. That has to be nice!
Yeah, now I have a six month supply.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #683
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
We ran down to NY today to pick up a package. While there, we did a bit of grocery shopping--less than we usually do, about $100, $42 of which was chicken legs for the dogs. What we did buy was dairy. There is a $20/person limit. We also picked up a scale for the lathe that was about $250--that we expected to pay HST on. Well, would you not know it but the border guard told us that he could charge us 300% duty on the $2 per person over the $40 dairy limit ($20 per person).. And, news to us, we are to have our grocery totals on two receipts if the groceries are not going to the same address (some groceries get dropped at the farm, some at the DH's house, some at mine...). Ironically, I used coupons for some cheese--got $8 off with the coupons and the Advantage card. Got home, added up all the dairy--$32 after the coupons...$46 before coupons. Oh--I hate border guards who can't read a receipt or add up the amounts. Luckily, we got off with just paying the HST on the scale for the lathe.
Interesting about the $20 per person allowance. Must be the Ontario govt. rule not the Feds. In BC the limit is $200, but you must be out if the country for 24 hrs. There is no exemption for less than 24 hrs, but I think lots of people get thru with milk, cheese and gas because its too big a hassle to send people in for small purchases and in the case of our crossings there wouldn't be enough staff to handle all the people, since just about everyone is bringing something back.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #684
Head Chef

There was a time when my late husband was still in business that the Fed Ex guy stopped at our place; I accepted urgent packages with fear and loathing, since it always meant there was trouble or extra work to do, double-time. These days, though, when the Fed Ex truck comes down the street, I just smile quietly to myself as it passes by. Guess this is an un-vent.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #685
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Yeah, now I have a six month supply.
We have a big problem in this building with mail ordered pills. The mailman is supposed to bring the package to the door and knock. If no answer, then leave it at the office. When I see them just left there right by the front door, (where anyone can just walk in and take them) I will take them up myself and knock on their door. If no answer, I will hold onto them until about six at night and try again. Just about everyone is home at that hour. They have to take a pill or two at that time.

We have one resident that has cancer. The pain meds are supposed to be signed for. I have seen the mailman scribble across the slip and just leave the pills on the shelf below the mailboxes. That package I make sure gets to the resident immediately. How can I tell they are pills? Just shake the package.

It pays to be known in your neighborhood. Our UPS man delivers to my son, me and my daughter. He knows we are all related and live just a minute or two from each other. So one of us will get the package. My daughter's mailgirl knows me since I lived in my daughter's house at one time and handled my change of address when I moved. Once she left my daughter's chemo meds with me as my daughter was at her doctor's office. I called her on her cell phone to pick them up on her way home.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #686
Executive Chef

Always seems to be something at your place Addie. It is good that you are helpful for your neighbors.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #687
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Always seems to be something at your place Addie. It is good that you are helpful for your neighbors.
There are 42 units in this building. You are right. Always something. We all listen to where the ambulance is going. Although at around 4 p.m. we know it is going up the highway right next to the building. Always a crash every day.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #688
Sous Chef

Cat makes a huge mess digging in a plant (he is only 5-6 months old), then repeatedly, determinedly, persistently, attacks the broom. Lol. What a PITA! I need a squirt bottle holster.

Oh, and I had to dissect a cat in anatomy yesterday :/ poor kitty.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #689
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I HATE waiting!

Yesterday I waited all day for a package which was to be delivered by Fedex.

Last evening when I checked the tracking, there was a message that they couldn't get into the building. It was time stamped 5:53 p.m.

I can understand that the security guard may have been away from his station, restroom break, unlocking an apartment for a forgetful resident, etc., but no residents around to open the door for the Fedex delivery person??????? There are 300+ apartments here! At that time of day there should have been a few around.

Now I get to wait all day again! GRRRRRRRrrrrrrr!!!!
--

My son lives in a huge complex too. All pkg delivery ( fed x, USPS, UPS) simply gets delivered to mgmt office. One stop for the delivery guy. You have to go to the office and pick up your pkgs. Don't know how mgmt notifies everyone. I;m pretty sure it is a daily challenge on their part. Maybe they do an speed dial internal dial/ message on your phone.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #690
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
--

My son lives in a huge complex too. All pkg delivery ( fed x, USPS, UPS) simply gets delivered to mgmt office. One stop for the delivery guy. You have to go to the office and pick up your pkgs. Don't know how mgmt notifies everyone. I;m pretty sure it is a daily challenge on their part. Maybe they do an speed dial internal dial/ message on your phone.
How nice for the delivery guy, but I'll bet it's a real PITA for the residents as well as management.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote