"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #711
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Y'know...I work with some folks who are REALLY good at raising BP. I could send 'em your way.
I have a few of those too, Alix. Will have to tell them that Missoula is lovely this time of year!

Old 01-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #712
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Bring 'em on...

Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #713
Everymom

They typically work with younger folks than you do, but I'm sure they can adapt.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:49 AM   #714
Chef Extraordinaire

Twice now they have had to reduce my BP meds. And I still think it is too much. Everytime I get my BP checked, it takes two or three nurses to try and find it. And when they do, they have to check it again and again. They can't believe how low it is. Maybe I should start making friends with my salt shaker.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #715
Executive Chef

one of our local police officers shot and killed a woman last year, after she tried to drive away to avoid giving over her driver's license. today, a jury found him guilty of willful manslaughter. now, just hours later, the verdict may be overturned because the jury used a dictionary to look up the meanings of the words 'malicious' and 'willful'. the reason given is that the jury disregarded orders for deliberations, directing them to use only the judge's explicit instructions.
does this sound like a legitimate reason for striking down the jury's verdict? it doesn't to me....
Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #716
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes. No jury is allowed to use outside influences such as newspapers, TV reports or printed matter in a book. That is why the judge gives them explicit orders on what they are to deliberate about and the charges they must consider. They should have ask the judge for the meanings if they were unsure.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #717
Executive Chef

apparently, the jury had asked for further clarification on a number of points earlier from the judge, and had been referred back to resume their deliberations. it is unclear whether the jury was aware that their actions were strictly forbidden. the final decision rests with the presiding judge, and he is considering the matter.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #718
Chef Extraordinaire

If the police officer has a good lawyer, it will be overturned. And no judge likes to have one of his trials overturned by a higher court. If he failed to give them instructions regarding outside sources, then he is at fault and a reason for overturning. He did not give clear and consice instructions. They should have been advised at the beginning of the trial about outside influnces such at newpapers, etc. It will look better on his files if he declares a mistrial than have a higher court do it. He will be called in front of his boss or your State Supreme Court and asked to explain what happened. That will look bad on his record and will hold him back from future promotions.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:06 AM   #719
Master Chef

I don't think it's a ligitimate reason at all. People tend to get away with serious crimes with a slap on the wrist nowadays!

My uncle was beaten to death with a hammer in his bed a few years ago and his girlfriend was raped and left for dead. She spent over 6 months in ICU.
The 2 men responsible got less than 3 years jail time yet a lady in our town got sentenced to 12 years in prison for stealing a packet of bacon!!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 AM   #720
Executive Chef

is this kind of disparity in sentencing for the crimes of murder and rape, versus petty theft a common occurrence in sa, snip? how did that happen? are the laws harsher against women, or the poor?