"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #741
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks, PF! I'll go that route if I can't get them to let me opt out. The Management lady who signed the letter just said to tell them no thanks. If I can do that once, and be left alone, fine. We'll see.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #742
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I just received a notice from the Management that some residents have formed a "Wellness Club" where they have volunteered to go door to door once or twice a week to twice a month doing a wellness check on other residents.

I went to the lady who sent this message and told her I don't want this and that we should have a sign up sheet for those who are interested in participating.

She just said, "Just tell them no thanks!"

I don't want these kinds of interruptions, especially by other residents (anyone else for that matter).

What do I have to do, keep a note on my door at all times that I don't want to be disturbed? It's very vague as to when. We are supposed to get 24 hours notice (at least) for people to come in, but it was noted that no one should ask to come in our apartments.

I just don't want people coming by without notice, or invitation. Just knocking on my door is an invasion of my privacy, unless I know about it ahead of time.

I'm hoping I will be able to tell them just once that I'm not interested so that they won't come back. Grrrr!

I have a friend that lives in a building with many elderly and disabled residents. They provide a wellness check for those that are interested.
They hang a laminated tag on the outside door knob of the apartment and the resident has to turn it once a day, by a certain time, from the odd side to the even side, depending on the date. When the volunteer hall monitor walks by they can see which folks are out of compliance and then knock on the residents door to make sure that everything is ok. I think this helps some people feel more secure. This is a voluntary process and those that are not interested do not put out the tag. It might be a thought for your building.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #743
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hi Aunt Bea! Nice to see you.

I just think this was handled badly. There should have been an explanation of what a wellness check entails, as well as sign up sheets for participation, frequency or non-participation.

The letter says these residents have volunteered to come door-to-door, no more than once a week or twice a month.

I flipped out when I read that.

Thanks for giving me an idea what to expect. I think maybe it's just that the letter should have included more information, instead of giving me a panic attack.

I bet she'll have lots more interruptions Monday with upset/angry people because of her oversight.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #744
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Yes, it is a violation of HIPAA regulations. This should and must be in place with your management company. These folks who knock on doors need to know which doors to knock on...who told them? Or are they knocking on all doors?

Tell management that you will, absolutely scream loudly about HIPAA violations if these folks appear to know ANYTHING about your health information. Tell them once that you will not participate, if they pursue it, they are harassing you and you can report this to management AND the police.
I'm not sure that the building management company is a "covered entity" under HIPAA. Might want to check that, Z. If it's an assisted living facility, they might have to comply.

http://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-G...redEntity.html
Old 02-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #745
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm not sure that the building management company is a "covered entity" under HIPAA. Might want to check that, Z. If it's an assisted living facility, they might have to comply.

Are You a Covered Entity? | Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
My post was presuming these folks had any knowledge that they should not have and where they found out about it. HIPAA is broadly accepted in certain types of housing, I do not know if Z lives in such housing and if she did I would not say so...
Old 02-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #746
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

My post was presuming these folks had any knowledge that they should not have and where they found out about it. HIPAA is broadly accepted in certain types of housing, I do not know if Z lives in such housing and if she did I would not say so...
It's absolutely an excellent point to bring up. I just wanted to offer a little more information.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #747
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Actually, I do live in low income housing (HUD), but after Aunt Bea's explanation, I expect that the door hanger method is more likely what they'll use. After all, I wouldn't want someone breaking into my apartment if I'm out shopping when they come by.

It will also eliminate strange residents knocking on my door. *fingers crossed*

I'm hoping it was just a poorly thought out letter, and I got upset when I felt my privacy was threatened.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #748
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I get tired of telling people they can talk to the ogre who answers the phone at my house, he's they only other being, aside from the cats, who answers the phone. They don't have to be sneaky and he IS my Power of Attorney for health care...if they call me at work, they can be as Sphinx-like as they want.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #749
Executive Chef

I get tired of people saying, "You are so wonderful, I couldn't do your job!" It's my job, and I do it because it is my job. You don't have to do it, and I don't expect to trade with you any time soon. You doing your job is just fine with me. If we both do our jobs, life is good!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #750
Chef Extraordinaire

I am having a bad day. Last Friday before the storm got really bad, Spike went down to the eye clinic to pick up my two pairs of glasses. They couldn't find them. They thought that maybe they were sent to Winthrop. Then they closed as 12 because of the storm. I call Winthrop, nope they weren't there. And they too closed down at 12 because of the storm. Okay. I kept my temper under control over the weekend. So I call Winthrop this morning. Nope, they had never arrived there. So I call the eye clinic. They still can't find them. They will call me back. Temper still under control. I get the phone call. They were in the mailroom. If my son can come and pick them up, they will be waiting for him. Okay, I will call you back right after I get a hold of him. "Yeah Ma, I will go there in a half hour." I try to call the clinic back. Four times. I let the phone ring for more than two minutes. No one is answering the phones. I will wait. May be they are on their coffee break. Temper is trying to let loose very hard. BP is climbing up.