"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #751
Executive Chef

After slicing my finger this morning I want to know why they can't complete the cut through bagels and english muffins

Old 02-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #752
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
After slicing my finger this morning I want to know why they can't complete the cut through bagels and english muffins
Because they are in cahoots with the medical profession.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #753
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
How else are you supposed to prepare finger food?

Sorry, I hope it wasn't too bad! And they are not in cahoots with the medical profession, honest, I don't like the sight of blood just as much as you don't...that's why we cover it with band-aids so fast.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #754
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
How else are you supposed to prepare finger food?

Sorry, I hope it wasn't too bad! And they are not in cahoots with the medical profession, honest, I don't like the sight of blood just as much as you don't...that's why we cover it with band-aids so fast.
I know you wil think I am crazy, but I love the smell of fresh blood. When I worked at Revere Memorial, if there were no babies in the nursery, I used to go in the OR as the dirty nurse. It was my job to keep count of the sponges. They had a large rack with clips on it and I would have to hang up the used and bloody sponges. My favorite job. I could hang out in an OR all day watching surgery.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #755
Chef Extraordinaire

I am sitting here in the Koffee Klatch House trying to calm down from yesterday. The urge to kill is so strong. Buttons is sitting in my lap while I brush her and she is purring. We are both sitting next to the fireplace while the embers burn slowly.

Yesterday, after all the work maintenance did in the building and all that I and my son Spike did in my apartment, the HUD Inspector calls and says he is not feeling well, so he will have to schedule another day or month. Kitties have a way of calming a person down. Thank you Buttons.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #756
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am sitting here in the Koffee Klatch House trying to calm down from yesterday. The urge to kill is so strong. Buttons is sitting in my lap while I brush her and she is purring. We are both sitting next to the fireplace while the embers burn slowly.

Yesterday, after all the work maintenance did in the building and all that I and my son Spike did in my apartment, the HUD Inspector calls and says he is not feeling well, so he will have to schedule another day or month. Kitties have a way of calming a person down. Thank you Buttons.
well, addie, that's just hud, being a dud again....(my sympathies, though)
a real live fire burning in the fireplace, and a purring kitty on your lap can have tremendous calming influences on a troubled spirit...

...except that with cats, at least the cats i've had in my life, are equally as capable and apt to arouse those homicidal furies in me, as they are to soothe my agitated moods.

i'm happy to see you here, tending to buttons, addie. she was definitely acting miffed and out of sorts yesterday, when nobody was petting or brushing her. one of the ladies, i don't know here name offhand, doesn't care for cats, and she had the nerve to brush buttons off of her lap! oh my! can you imagine?! you should have seen the evil eye buttons gave that lady--and talk about attitude! button's tail was jerking for a long time, with justified feline anger and offense! i couldn't help but smile....

i did take her aside then, and gently promised her that aunt addie would come to visit, and make up for all the hurt and neglect she was feeling. still, she pouted--holds a grudge that buttons does....

you two look the picture of contentment, in that rocking chair by the fire, addie. it's a perfect fit--you all being so close to the ground an' all....
Old 02-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #757
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
well, addie, that's just hud, being a dud again....(my sympathies, though)
a real live fire burning in the fireplace, and a purring kitty on your lap can have tremendous calming influences on a troubled spirit...

...except that with cats, at least the cats i've had in my life, are equally as capable and apt to arouse those homicidal furies in me, as they are to soothe my agitated moods.

i'm happy to see you here, tending to buttons, addie. she was definitely acting miffed and out of sorts yesterday, when nobody was petting or brushing her. one of the ladies, i don't know here name offhand, doesn't care for cats, and she had the nerve to brush buttons off of her lap! oh my! can you imagine?! you should have seen the evil eye buttons gave that lady--and talk about attitude! button's tail was jerking for a long time, with justified feline anger and offense! i couldn't help but smile....

i did take her aside then, and gently promised her that aunt addie would come to visit, and make up for all the hurt and neglect she was feeling. still, she pouted--holds a grudge that buttons does....

you two look the picture of contentment, in that rocking chair by the fire, addie. it's a perfect fit--you all being so close to the ground an' all....
I can almost pat her standing up.

I can't imagine anyone not loving her. She is such a good kitty. Buttons did calm me down.

The good side is that I got a lot of needed excercise in cleaning. And my apartment looks so nice and shiny. The bathroom got cleaned from the ceiling down to the new floor. The repairs that HUD told management to do four years ago, finally got done. Since they knew I was planning on being here for this inspection, and knowing that I wouldn't hesitate to tell HUD the truth if they asked any questions, made management sit up and take notice this time. I had plenty of notice and was able to move any appointments around to make sure I would be here this time. The last three inspections I always had an appointment.

Every cat I have had in my home has always been a pet of the kids. I just made sure it got fed and watered. The only real house cat I have ever had in my home belonged to my granddaughter. Tasha had been declawed and I was too afraid to let her outside at all. I bought her a window seat so she could sit in the sun all day. She loved it there. There was a porch roof right outside the window where she loved to rest. Sometimes in the summer I would open the screen and she would lie out there until it got too hot. She loved having the breeze blowing over her. That cat got more loving than I did.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #758
Executive Chef

i guess i'm one of those penny wise-pound foolish sort of gals. what is bothering my frugal sensibilities lately is that i'm being made to pay a sales tax that to my mind seems to be totally illogical, illegal, even--though i'm sure it's not. i am buying see's chocolates from california, and having them mailed to my family, who live in maryland. the purchases are paid for out of my (virginia state) money wallet.-- yet, i am charged maryland state sales tax for the chocolates, not virginia's, which is a 3 1/2% difference. on top of that, i am paying that md tax also on the UPS shipping charges, not just on the price of the chocolates, although the shipping is done from california. i am not aware of ever having paid a sales tax on the cost of shipping an item before. in particular, how would md be entitled to charge for shipping that largely occurs outside of their jurisdiction, anyhow?

i'm counting on some of you legal minds out there to help me understand what it is i'm dealing with. the people at see's chocolates are very friendly and polite, but they tell me that their company has nothing whatever to do with the charges i'm complaining about--that they are costs they have to collect in order to do business in the state of maryland...(?)
Old 02-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #759
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Seems to me that you should have to pay the sales tax of the state you live in. I can order from anywhere and have things sent anywhere without paying taxes for other states. I even ordered things to be sent to MD and didn't have to pay their taxes.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #760
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

As I recall, when I ordered stuff from Amazon and had it shipped to my mom in ND, there was a tax charged from ND. When exactly the same stuff was sent to a different state, no tax was charged. I think it's up to the individual state to decide whether they want to charge a tax for mail order goods.