Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello. The furnace on my house died yesterday. I needs a new one. Furnace guy can't get there until next Tuesday or Wednesday. Fortunately, my daughter and her mother are gone for the holidays so no one is in the house. Except the cat. I am going there everyday to feed him and turn on heaters if necessary. It could be worse. We are having a mild winter so far. But, still, 3,500 balloons at xmas. And me not working full time. Darn! Thankfully, we have a bit tucked away in a rainy day account. Big bummer.:( I may have to go and get a real job sooner than planned.:yuk:

Last edited:
Hello. The furnace on my house died yesterday. I needs a new one. Furnace guy can't get there until next Tuesday or Wednesday. Fortunately, my daughter and her mother are gone for the holidays so no one is in the house. Except the cat. I am going there everyday to feed him and turn on heaters if necessary. It could be worse. We are having a mild winter so far. But, still, 3,500 balloons at xmas. And me not working full time. Darn! Thankfully, we have a bit tucked away in a rainy day account. Big bummer.:( I may have to go and get a real job sooner than planned.:yuk:

Rock,

Your post reminds me of the Delaney sisters.

Papa always told them to save for a rainy day but, he never told them it would rain this hard or this long!

Wishing you the best of luck on this one!

Bad timing!!! :ermm:

So I sent Christmas cookies to my parents. I didn't know at the time my brother was flying out (he lives near me--he could've taken the cookies instead of having to send them UPS). I called to make sure the package arrived--my mother is hiding the cookies in the bathroom (dementia is an issue with her) and my brother is complaining about his allergies...wish I was the one celebrating Christmas with my parents. ARGGH!

Last edited:
Ughhhh.... I hope it gets sorted out soon! I remember when i lived in NY years ago andt the hot water tank went. I had heat, but no hot water. It's so sweet of you to keep the cat taken care of. My thoughts are with you.

So I sent Christmas cookies to my parents. I didn't know at the time my brother was flying out (he lives near me--he could've taken the cookies instead of having to send them UPS). I called to make sure the package arrived--my mother is hiding the cookies in the bathroom (dementia is an issue with her) and my brother is complaining about his allergies...wish I was the one celebrating Christmas with my parents. ARGGH!

:LOL::LOL: When I was going to college, I lived with my mom for a bit. She had a thing for Campbell's broccoli-cheese soup. I kept the apartment when she moved out. I was cleaning stuff out one day in the pantry and found a can of that soup hidden in a coffee urn that she forgot to take with her.

Grrrrrr. I was trying to help my daughter out and went online and found a VIN search site. I read everything there carefully, and it said it was $2.95 for one search. I went ahead and got it.

I checked our bank account out this morning, and not only did they charge us $29.95, they plan to continue to charge that to our card every month unless we cancel. We called the number to cancel (and give them a piece of our mind) and the number is not legitimate. We will be closing that check card out and getting a new one (have to wait until I get home the 28th, as I will need the card). I have reported them to our bank, the Better Business Bureau, and an online fraud site.

DO NOT ever do a VIN search at Car VIN Checks | Check Any Car VIN In North America. They are a scam.

You should contact your state's Attorney General also and report them along with your Motor Vehicle agency.

Last edited:
I quit smoking in July after about 40 years of smoking.

Now I want to see some benefits. It's still hard. I have days when I don't go outside because I know I will accost strangers until I find one willing to sell me a cigarette.

I have gained over 25 pounds.
I don't notice any improvement to my breathing, though it wasn't a problem before I quit.
I have no energy.
It's hard to concentrate.
My sense of smell hasn't really improved. The only thing I can smell more now is stinky cigarettes.
My blood pressure last spring at my annual checkup was 120 over something, which I found shockingly high for me. It's really not too bad for someone 61 years old. I went to a clinic on Xmas Eve for a sore throat and my blood pressure there was 180/105! :ohmy: :eek:

I'm guessing that I should talk to my doctor before embarking on a weight loss diet. I'm thinking of low carb since Atkins worked well for me before.

Congrats on quitting! It's among the hardest things I've had to do.

Don't feel bad that you haven't seen significant improvement. That just means you weren't in terrible shape from smoking yet. Focus on the fact that you are much healthier now and have greatly reduced your risk of heart disease, cancer and stroke. Just as you couldn't see the damage smoking was doing internally, you can't see the improvements.

When I successfully lost weight a few years ago, it was by eating less food and starting a daily walking program. I specifically avoided a low carb diet because I like carbs. I ate everything I always ate. I just ate less of it.

Congrats on quitting! It's among the hardest things I've had to do.

Don't feel bad that you haven't seen significant improvement. That just means you weren't in terrible shape from smoking yet. Focus on the fact that you are much healthier now and have greatly reduced your risk of heart disease, cancer and stroke. Just as you couldn't see the damage smoking was doing internally, you can't see the improvements.

When I successfully lost weight a few years ago, it was by eating less food and starting a daily walking program. I specifically avoided a low carb diet because I like carbs. I ate everything I always ate. I just ate less of it.

It's really hard to focus on the fact of being healthier when I feel worse and my blood pressure has skyrocketed. :(

How much walking in your daily walking program? I'm not ready to eat less. Not smoking isn't a strong enough habit yet. I am getting really tired of chewing gum.

With you BP that high, ask your doctor to refer you to a registered dietician. You may need help and constant encouragement. Some people need a 'buddy' to lose weight with. And congrats of stopping smoking. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom