"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #781
Hospitality Queen

Oh dear Alix!
You need that now... or Ken will have to do all the cooking, cleaning, and.... hey wait a minute... that may be a good thing... ;)
Hope you are doing well soon, my friend!

Old 02-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #782
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Boston Cemetery, aisle 4, row three, number 18...
Snort!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #783
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I HATE the smell of the herbal teas SO drinks. There's one that smells like clove which is my most hated spice. There's another that smells like medicine.

Is bad smell a requirement of herbal teas?
Not all herbal teas smell
I loveall the so called smelly ones but you get nice smelling ones too.

Rosehip and hybiscus, Jasmin, Strawberry leaf tea, rose tea, lavender tea etc all smell and taste devine

I like clove tea

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #784
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Good or bad, the aroma is often more beneficial than drinking the tea itself.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #785
Executive Chef

Andy, do you have a bulk food store or Whole Foods or a tea shop nearby. Lift the lids and give a smell test. Take her along or come home with a surprise pkgs. Unless SO is drinking specific teas for medicinal purposes, herbal teas can be mixed and matched for both aroma and flavor. And there are so many flavors to combine that are pleasant. As an alternative to cloves. have her try all-spice berries, cracked. I think crushed cardamom seeds and anything anise flavored is great in a tea. Certainly rose hips, mint, hibiscus et al. A piece of candied ginger dropped in the bottom of a cup before adding tea increases both flavor and scent or a cinnamon stick or piece of lemon grass stirrer. Drinking Tea is a soothing and comforting and a relaxing moment, and is inclusive Well, I think so anyway. Ask your SO why she likes to drink tea and why she likes specific flavor blends sometime.

I bet you wouldn't like my pumpkin pie. I put double the cloves and it comes out real dark looking.

While you are out and about, does she have a good tea infuser. I like this one.
http://helping.en.alibaba.com/product/318724450-209451293/Good_Designed_Stainless_Steel_Tea_Infuser.html

although, I see one today named after me or a 60s sock hop song Do the Freddy. Heheh. You can borrow it.

http://www.amazon.com/Fred-Friends-Mister-Tea-Infuser/dp/B008XCZ25K

You might consider find a nice flavor too, sit back and have a cuppa. Contemplate the tea leaves, yoga for the mind, while she drinks her blend. You'll both be better for it.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #786
Executive Chef

Alix, have you ever tried using a heated flax seed pillow to comfort your neck or back or any sore area.

I have one that is designed as a neck or cervical collar and another that is just rectangular. Heat in the microwave until warm, test so not too hot, then apply to the area. My Cats like it when I tuck one under a blanket around my feet. Just to warm up on a cold night. Then they climb aboard.

How (And Why) To Make The Best Flax Seed Pillows - An Oregon Cottage | An Oregon Cottage
Old 02-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #787
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I wonder if Shrek would start taking better care of himself if I took his Urn out of the closet and kept it on the coffee table...
Love it! And if he should ask, you tell him you were planning on using it real soon. Just make sure he can see his name engraved on it as he sits and watches TV.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #788
Sous Chef

Well, if my goal in life was to p*** off some poor old lady working as a cashier at the grocery store, I guess I can die happy now... Ugh, what a mountain from a mole hill... I literally had around 30-40 coupons, the majority of which were manufacturers coupons. As she starts manually checking I had the right items and keying in the dollar amounts for the discounts, I commented, trying to be sympathetic, "Oh, jeez- you can't just scan the bar code?" So she gives it a try, and no dice. Anyway, near the end of the coupons, she tosses one off to the side. I asked about it, and she said she didn't think I could use that one, but she would check at the end. Ok, cool. At the end she scans it, and says, "See? It says its invalid. You already used one of those. You can try to use it somewhere else if you want." Ok, I get that I already made your list of least favorite people in the store when I walked up with my fistful of coupons, but I wasn't born yesterday. I nicely pointed out that one coupon says it excludes campbell's "great for cooking" soups, and this one was specifically for the "great for cooking" soups. Similar, but not the same. Also, I already had the soup rung in, and now buried at the bottom of the shopping cart. She starts keying it in and says, "Fine, I could lose my job over this. For a dollar. Is that what you want? For me to lose my job over a dollar? Does that make you happy?" I calmly responded, "You are more than welcome to call the manager over if you'd like." That was the end of it, but come on- I just watched you try to scan a coupon and it didn't work and then you try to use that to convince me a manufacturers coupon isn't valid when you have been keying in the dollar amounts the WHOLE time?? Then she complained about me to the next two people in line while I was bagging my groceries. How awkward. I feel bad for ruining her day, but I could have said "it's just a dollar" to every one of those coupons, and I would have paid $168 instead of $106. ::humph::
Old 02-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #789
Chef Extraordinaire

Skit, you went to the cash register without an attitude. The cashier had her attitude already. If it wasn't you, it would have been someone else. She chose to make a problem of the coupons herself by not scanning them. She chose to key each one in individually. The problem was hers, not yours.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #790
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Skit, you went to the cash register without an attitude. The cashier had her attitude already. If it wasn't you, it would have been someone else. She chose to make a problem of the coupons herself by not scanning them. She chose to key each one in individually. The problem was hers, not yours.
The issue was that the store doesn't have the codes for the manufacturer coupons. She tried to scan some, but they weren't recognized, even though they were valid coupons. I'm sure she wishes she could just scan them and let the computer decide if they were different coupons or not! It would make her life so much easier lol. I just got into printing manufacturer coupons, and I will probably never go back there with them... I really don't want to be a bother, but I saved a ton of money!! I only used my coupons for items that were also on sale, so I got a double discount (the normal sale price is not included in the $60 I saved, although the store coupons I used are included). I still have about half my manufacturer coupons, which I hope to use at another store when those items are on sale. I also made a list of things that I noticed were on sale, to go look online for manufacturer coupons. I'm obsessed.