"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #801
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I'm tired of pain from osteoarthritis and plantar fasciitis! I know I have to lose weight, but it is so hard when it hurts to walk and I know I need to exercise!
sorry you have to deal with all of that. Is there any kind of cushioning support that will help with the feet? If only you could get a little comfortable then you could do short walks.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #802
Master Chef

Quote:
I'm tired of pain from osteoarthritis and plantar fasciitis! I know I have to lose weight, but it is so hard when it hurts to walk and I know I need to exercise!
Have you or can you find a water exercise class? It takes the weight off from your joints and feet. After my hip fracture, it was a life saver. I'm about ready to move on to something more aerobically challenging, but the pool exercise classes were a life-saver when it came to regaining flexibility and range of motion. Make sure the pool is warm enough.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #803
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Chopper, can you try a recumbent bike/rowing machine? My bone doc recommended that I use one after I broke my ankle a few years ago. I use it every day when the weather's nasty, and with TV or music, it's pretty painless to get in 30 minutes or so.

Oh, I just saw Claire's water class rec, that would be a great idea too!
Old 02-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #804
Master Chef

Quote:
Chopper have you tried inserts for your shoes?

My doctor had me get fitted for some superfeet inserts and they helped a great deal.

The inserts and walking for exercise has made the problem much easier to deal with.

Now I only have to furniturewalk* three or four times a year, I am quite a sight to behold!

*A furniture-walker is one of those folks who walks around the house hanging onto the furniture
Old 02-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #805
Executive Chef

I have only done "furniture walk" this whole winter. My definition is I bump into the furniture since it won't move out of the way, lol. It has been too cold for too many months and Icy sidewalks, why do people think they need not shovel when we only get a little snow at a time. It gets compacted and then treachorous. I was at a big shopping mall the other day, not on purpose. I can tell my hip joints is creaky. Need to get the body parts moving again.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #806
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
sorry you have to deal with all of that. Is there any kind of cushioning support that will help with the feet? If only you could get a little comfortable then you could do short walks.
I have the same problem. The one thing I miss the most are the long walks I used to take on a nice day. But with the pain in my hip and spine, walking is out of the question. And then there is the getting out of breath when I walk even too fast and rush when doing a chore right in my own home. I wanted to join the swimming at the local pool. But Winthrop refused to sign off on it and provide transportation. Fifteen, twenty years ago, I could have walked there. Even in cold weather. I would have bundled up and enjoyed the brisk air. Short of wrapping myself up in an Army blanket, I could never make it now.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #807
Chef Extraordinaire

I want all computers that the TV weatherfolks have, taken away. Three times in one broadcast they have been given extensive air time. I know we have a storm coming. And that is all I need to know. What is happening out in the middle of the Atlantic, I just don't care. It is not coming inshore. It is not going to affect our weather. But just tell me when to expect the storm and how much snow. That way I can plan my days before it arrives. If I am really desperate to know about the weather, I will go to the Farmers Almanac.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #808
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I check for my local weather on the internet. I gave up watching televised weather because all the weather people stand right in front of what I want to see!

This is the weather I keep an eye on. I especially like to see which way the wind is blowing so I can either open my windows or not. It's been pretty accurate. You'd have to change it to your zip code for your weather:

Hourly Weather Forecast for 70114 - weather.com

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #809
Chef Extraordinaire

One of the weather bureau's national centers is located right here at Logan Airport. Just a hop, skip and jump from my home. And they are right on the money all the time. So when they say local, they are talking about my neighborhood directly. Their maps always show a slight less snowfall because I am only yards away from the Atlantic. And that has a lot to do with our weather. Downtown Boston gets so much more snow than we do. The warmth of the Gulf Stream affects my neighborhood. Not so much as downtown Boston which is located more inland and farther into Boston Harbor. So when I know a storm is coming, I look to them. Or the seagulls flying overhead. They always fly inland when a storm is approaching. Makes for a messy neighborhood.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #810
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have Forecastfox on my desktop...I can just glance down at it.